Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ktb9780

Thread: 2013 FP&S Grants

Forum Member

Default 2013 FP&S Grants

I was going to ask when we will start seeing grants drop for FP&S, but then I logged into FEMA's site and noticed they were on round #3. Anyone know the total $$$$ amount earmarked for FP&S? Also, when are DJ's "normally" issued for FP&S?

Thank you in advance!

Forum Member

Anyone heard if they are going to have some more movement on the FP&S grants? I haven't heard much of anything and there has been no movement on the site for some time.

Forum Member

It looks like there have been 7 rounds of Fire Prevention awards published on the fema.gov/firegrants website starting back in July.

From talking to the AFG team at the Fire Rescue International conference last month, I was told that many of the awards had been processed or would be soon.

Just like AFG and SAFER, the FP&S funding expires this month, so they have to move on them quick.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sly you did not text me I have an 1199 for FP !!!! you are slacking!!!! Thanks to Mr Vickers It has been a great year for us!!!!

Forum Member

Wasn't even on my radar, Chief Only 40ish FD Fire Prevention awards are expected this year I've heard!

Forum Member

Just a quick break-down as I have calculated:

ROUNDS COMPLETED = 7
    TOTAL AWARDS MADE = 74
    AVERAGE PER AWARD = $285,830.00
    TOTAL FUNDING DISPERSED = $21,151,432.00
    TOTAL FUNDING REMAINING = $10,940,576.00 (and change)
    ESTIMATED AWARDS LEFT = Approx. 38

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Capt Hill. I took the breakdown just a little further so as to give the folks who frequent this forum a slightly different perspective on FP&S grants. I hope you do not mind.

A further breakdown of the above quoted statistics reveals that out of the 74 awards that have been made, only 44 of the awards went to actual fire departments with a total of only $4,125,674.00 of the $21,151,432.00 that has been awarded. That's $17,025,758 for the other 34 awards mostly for research oriented type programs.

I merely wanted to point out a more realistic view for those FDs who may be contemplating doing a FP&S grant that the average grant being awarded to a FD is only $93,765.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Thanks Capt Hill. I took the breakdown just a little further so as to give the folks who frequent this forum a slightly different perspective on FP&S grants. I hope you do not mind.

A further breakdown of the above quoted statistics reveals that out of the 74 awards that have been made, only 44 of the awards went to actual fire departments with a total of only $4,125,674.00 of the $21,151,432.00 that has been awarded. That's $17,025,758 for the other 34 awards mostly for research oriented type programs.

I merely wanted to point out a more realistic view for those FDs who may be contemplating doing a FP&S grant that the average grant being awarded to a FD is only $93,765.
    Thank you ktb9780! I thought about doing that, but didn't take the time.
    It is a little discouraging looking at the numbers though considering how much of the funding is going to R&D instead of departments.

MembersZone Subscriber

Its probably also a statement as to the lack of FDs that are actually applying to the FP&S also. I know my numbers have been way down compared to past years.

Forum Member

But the question is: are fire departments discouraged from applying each year seeing all of the money shifting towards larger/national awards?

MembersZone Subscriber

That may be a valid point but, as little as most of the clients seem to know about the FP&S program, I would not think they had enough knowledge to draw that conclusion. I just noticed a huge drop off in the number of clients that wish to pursue it at all. Sly if you are around give me a shout 863-551-9598.
    Capt_Hill likes this.

Forum Member

Anyone know how long the FP&S grants will continue? I know through calculating that there should only be about 2.9m left, but still no DJ or 1199.

Thank you in advance.

Forum Member

Does anyone have any more information or insight to the FP&S grant status? I realize that the monies had to be earmarked by the end of September, but we have heard nothing. No 1199, No emails, No nothing. Not holding my breath as it seems that FEMA is more inclined to give these funds to big groups for research than fire departments, but it would be nice to know one way or the other definitively.

According to the last award announcements, there should be a balance of $2 million left for awards unless this was used for "Administration" of the grant.

Thank you all for the information and listening to my brief rant!
    Last edited by Capt_Hill; 10-17-2014 at 10:57 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Hill View Post
    Does anyone have any more information or insight to the FP&S grant status? I realize that the monies had to be earmarked by the end of September, but we have heard nothing. No 1199, No emails, No nothing. Not holding my breath as it seems that FEMA is more inclined to give these funds to big groups for research than fire departments, but it would be nice to know one way or the other definitively.

According to the last award announcements, there should be a balance of $2 million left for awards unless this was used for "Administration" of the grant.

Thank you all for the information and listening to my brief rant!
    I don't know that I agree with the comment about FEMA "is more inclined to give these funds to big groups for research than fire departments". I believe that well written small application is durn near a lock for funding - but they don't see many applications, and very few well written ones. I have gotten funded every time I write a FP&S application.

Now, is the cost benefit better for a big application nationwide application, yeah most likely, but they really seem to want to fund local applications also.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with LVFD. I have had plenty of success with FP&S. There is a lot of big money that goes to those big organizations but, look closely a lot of it is under R&D for FF safety.

Forum Member

Disagree this year. I had one for one of the most impoverished communities in our state, multiple fire fatalities in homes with no working detectors, a completely broke city, and since the application have killed 5 more in fires.

Certainly doesn't seem to speak well for my abilities as a writer, but I'm quite convinced that too much money was shifted to larger organizations this year.

Just a quick glance at the award list shows that only 52 awards went to actual fire departments.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    Disagree this year. I had one for one of the most impoverished communities in our state, multiple fire fatalities in homes with no working detectors, a completely broke city, and since the application have killed 5 more in fires.

Certainly doesn't seem to speak well for my abilities as a writer, but I'm quite convinced that too much money was shifted to larger organizations this year.

Just a quick glance at the award list shows that only 52 awards went to actual fire departments.
    Well Sly nobody will dispute your grant writing ability. We need to see what the applications submissions look like to make a judgement call here. Have you seen the numbers yet or are they even out yet?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Hill View Post
    Guess your voice was heard. Log in and see if your denial letter is in the portal. It looks like they hit today.

Thread Information