Forum Member

Default AD Military Firefighter to Civilian

I am currently serving in the USAF as a firefighter; date of voluntary separation is March 8 2015, currently deployed till Oct.

I wanted to get some guidance as to what would help set me apart from the rest when I apply, I know my military experience, IFSAC certs, NIMS, and etc. will help. What else can I accomplish while I'm deployed or maybe when I return? Any help will be appreciated.

Also, does anyone have any information on the acceptance of IFSAC certs? I phoned a dept. in California and Arizona and was told that it was up to the Chief on whether or not the certs would be accepted.

Upon my return to the states I will be enrolled in an EMT-B course that I WILL pass along with the national registry. Then I will apply everywhere possible for the most part. Should I work towards my EMT-P while applying everywhere or wait till hired?

I have to admit its pretty nerve racking for me to be looking for a job again.

Forum Member

So which state do you want to work in???

Forum Member

California

Reciprocity
    At this time, SFT does not offer reciprocity for certifications, including IFSAC and Pro Board that were received in another state. In order to apply for SFT certification in California, you must meet all of the requirements listed in the SFT Procedures Manual click here (or refer to pg. 94 SFT Procedures Manual -ver. 2008). We recommend you contact the fire department requiring the certification to determine if they will accept your alternative certificates.

http://osfm.fire.ca.gov/training/firefighter.php

Forum Member

You need to check each fire department you want to apply to and see what the minimum requirements are just to apply and get them

You need to test anywhere and everywhere, do not limit your testing to a few or you may never get hired.

You might use hi bill and get a second job till you get hired

Or get paramedic on apply in Texas

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/certificat...ansferring.asp

Forum Member

Fire49,

I really appreciate all the good info. A FF I know in California said he was able to transfer over his FF1 and 2 certs through the State Fire Marshal’s Office near Sacramento for $80 total. Did you know about this? True?

As far as applying for jobs, I have applied for almost everything from Antarctica to Baghdad, from TX to Cali. I realize that becoming a Firefighter is very difficult and competitive and to obtain a civilian job would be a dream come true.

I've also even looked into becoming a Texas State Trooper or Sacramento Police Officer seeing as they are both hiring and pay well. All until I can get a fire job, but I am very confident I won't have to take that route.

If you would, look over my certs and resume and let me know how else I can make myself more marketable. Can I email them to you?

FF Ah You

Forum Member

"""""I really appreciate all the good info. A FF I know in California said he was able to transfer over his FF1 and 2 certs through the State Fire Marshal’s Office near Sacramento for $80 total. Did you know about this? True? """"

My answer is always call the horse!!!!

Call the state direct and ask the question and do it a couple
    Of times to see if you get different people but same answer,

I am going by the web site and I think a few other posts

Forum Member

Turn on your private message setting

Forum Member

Roger, I think I did. Try it out

Thread Information