Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BoxAlarm187

Thread: First exam!

Forum Member

Default First exam!

Hey guys,

Very excited, im going to Hampton Virginia Aug 29th and the 30th for there entrance exam!! First one ever. I live in Buffalo, NY so its going to be about a 9 hour drive! Im lucky my new job/boss even let me!

thanks

Liam

Forum Member

Good luck

Hope it will be your last

Forum Member

Good luck ... test everywhere!

Let's talk fire trucks!

Hampton's a good department who's leadership has really made a lot of improvements over the past 5-7 years. Good luck on the process, and allow yourself PLENTY of travel time around metro Washington, DC!
    CaptOldTimer likes this.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Liam,

As BoxAlarm187, said Hampton is a good department which get plenty of work. Coming down I-95 around the Northern Virginia area, is another test! I was up in Northern Virginia a week ago during the week and I-95 south was stopped from I-495 past the Garrisonville, VA exit, 143, exit, I got off the highway at the 160 exit and went over to Manassas to dodge the traffic and came back by using other roads.

A GPS comes in handy too.

Do yourself a big favor by doing a google map search for the best route. I know it is about 550 miles between both. You may be better coming through Baltimore and coming down US 301 to I-95, about 40 miles north of Richmond, to miss the heavy stand still traffic on I-95. Or by using I-81 to I-64 to dodge it was well. I would come a day or two before the exam to get some good rest before the big day. Also this gives you time to ride around Hampton to look over the city and see of fire houses. Good Luck on your travel and testing!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Thanks guys!!! I am very excited! i am also nervous about the test because i am not the best test taker. I was told the Virginia test was easier than NYS's test but that is no excuse. I am finishing my background packet this week and going to AAA to get a rout mapped out. I truly hope this plays out. I know its going to cost money i dont have, but i am going to make this happen if i have a chance.

Liam

Forum Member

Hope your exam went well, I might have saw you myself as my exam was on the 29th. This was my first hiring process as well. Good luck on your PAT!

Shawshank

Let me know if you need a place to crash for a couple of nights. I live on the other side of the tunnel in Norfolk but if you have to be in Hampton in the morning it won't be a big deal. Happy to be able to put up a fellow upstater. Coming from Buffalo, i'm not sure of the best/fastest/least traffic route. When I come down from Syracuse I hit 81 to 83 outside Harrisburg, PA, 83 to 695, 695 to 95, 95 to 64. Usually a 9-10hr ride traffic depending.

Thread Information