MembersZone Subscriber

Default AED Regional grant Question?

I have been tasked with writing a regional AFG grant for AED's for all the rural fire departments in our county. How many per station does AFG allow? is it one per station? One per apparatus? What formula does AFG use to determine how many each department gets?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    I have been tasked with writing a regional AFG grant for AED's for all the rural fire departments in our county. How many per station does AFG allow? is it one per station? One per apparatus? What formula does AFG use to determine how many each department gets?
    The AFG does not restrict the number of AED's that can be applied for. For the regional grant you want to follow NFPA 1901. This requires an AED on each type apparatus a department has except for wildland apparatus that falls under NFPA 1906. There is no such requirement for that type of apparatus.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you very much onebugle.

Forum Member

Just bear in mind that everything you buy has to be maintained too! Remember that unused pads expire, batteries expire, and entire AED's become obsolete. AFG will buy 'em, but they won't maintain 'em.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Also you can get 1 per station but of course the issue there is that the apparatus will be parked in the stations, so cost-benefit might not be fully explainable on why you need to outfit the stations as well as apparatus. Like EastKyFF alluded to there's maintenance costs with them that everyone would need to keep up with, and the odds of the station being completely empty in some areas is slim. NFPA 1901 says all apparatus should have them, but nothing says that you can't move 1 later and mount it in the station if the feeling is that it would be better there than say on a tanker or something like that. Like SCBA the guidelines give a count for eligibility but if you felt like tossing all of your packs in a pickup truck instead of mounting on apparatus after being awarded there's nothing in the rules against that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes we just didn't know if AFG limited the AED's allow to one per station or they used apparatus as a gauge. No reason to keep a AED in the station since the apparatus would have them. Most of the fire station here have a Engine, tanker, and brushtrucks with a few departments having rescues and chiefs vehicles thrown in.

Forum Member

As was mentioned above prepare to explain how you will budget the cost of pad and battery replacement into the future. Many units have a two year shelf life on the consumables with a few at 5 years.
    Pads and batteries are expensive for something that doesn't get used very often. I have boxes of expired pads that are used for training purposes ,but at $100.00 + per set the battery packs are even more.
    costs per year needs to be budgeted and explained in your narrative going forward.

Similar to getting awarded an air compressor system for filling SCBA's. Need to document how you will pay for the ongoing expense of annual service and air quality testing. these services don't come at no cost year after year.

Thread Information