Thread: PAT Anxiety

Forum Member

Default PAT Anxiety

I have an agility test on Friday for a department that I would like to get into. It's not the CPAT, it's more like a modified Combat Challenge. I'm feeling very anxious about it because I took it back in January and failed and I really don't want to go through that again, although I have improved since then.

The part that got me last time was the step test, which is the first event. Up and down a 3-step platform 150 times in 10 minutes with an SCBA harness and tank (but not on air). I think the SCBA was around 30 lbs, although I can't remember for sure. Does that sound right for an SCBA weight?

I'm also really anxious about the Keiser sled, since I don't have access to one and have never used it (I didn't make it to that point in the test last time).

Does anyone have any advice about any of this (the Keiser sled, what to do before/on test day, etc.)? At this point I'm debating whether to run the makeshift test that I have set up at my volunteer department or if it would be better to just let my body rest (I've been pushing really hard the last couple of days). What do you think?

I know I really need to work on my endurance. I had been hoping to have a few more months to improve, but I think that dropping out of the process would probably be worse than failing the test, especially since the number of people testing is very small (last time it was only 18).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Forum Member

These tests shouldn't be about beating the test. They are far easier then what you may have to do on a real call. Your goal should be to be in all around great shape. Strength and endurance. I've never hit a Keiser sled but I guarantee I could crush it. Never walked up and down a set of steps 150 times but I know I can do it. It is too late to do anything to physically improve your chances so when the time comes, dig down deep and give all you have. If you fail the test, you're done, so no sense walking out of there with anything left in the tank. You'd be surprised what your body will do if you make it. My advice for the future is to lift weights and run, swim, sprint, etc to become a better athlete.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I'm aware that I need to be in better shape and that the test is not a realistic indicator of the demands of the job. Getting in shape is a long-term process that I am working very hard on. Like I said I had hoped that the hiring process would be slower so that I would have more time to improve before the fitness test.

But, the reality is that I'm in this and I will give it my all. I guess I was hoping (although I didn't express it very well) that someone might have some advice on how to eek out some extra energy on test day, whether through nutrition or test-taking tips to improve efficiency. Based on how close I come in my practice tests, that might be what I need for me to clear the hurdle and pass.

And after the test, pass or fail, I'll go back to the gym and keep on working.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Rose; 08-20-2014 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Typo

Forum Member

Fully extend your legs on each step, locking your knees out. It provides a fraction of a second of relief to your muscles and will reduce fatigue.

Forum Member

They do not give any practice days??

Do a search on kaiser there have been other posts on technique.

As someone said just lay it out, had to climb a rope once and never had done that before but made it

The ten minute test seems like a killer, 900 steps in ten minutes?

Forum Member

Fully locking out your legs on stairs will take tension off of the leg muscles which will make you not tire.

I never do well on the kaiser sled, key is have your feet in front of the beam always. Your instinct will want to keep your feet even with the beam but that is the worst thing to do.

I just did the kaiser this past weekend and I'm in good shape and I was out of gas after that!

Forum Member

"""""No problem. When driving the sled, keep the front of the sled right about your heels. That way your force will be perpendicular to the face of the sled. Also, don't take monster swings at it...bring the hammer back out to horizontal and strike again. When you swing, be pushing off with your heels...you'll get a lot more force.""""

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t119946/ (Physical Agility testing tips)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    Like I said I had hoped that the hiring process would be slower
    Don't often see that sentence when it comes to getting a fire job

Forum Member

Thanks everyone for your advice. Nope, no practice days or orientation. I'm not looking forward to the step test, that will be the biggest hurdle I think. I really appreciate the advice about locking legs and the Keiser. I'm going to dig deep and see what happens!

Thread Information