Thread: Portable pumps

Forum Member

Default Portable pumps

We did some training on relay pumping last Saturday, mostly for the new guys but also as a refresher. Since we only have 2 engines, I decided to use our biggest portable pump as the source pump. This pump is a Honda WT40X trash pump, with a 4" intake and a 4" discharge fitted with a Storz fitting. There is no rating tag on it that I could find, but a quick check with Google showed upwards of a 433 gpm rating, but nothing for pressure (but I knew that it was a volume pump, not a pressure pump).

We set the portable up at the water source, stretched 150' of 4" supply line and installed a Z-valve at the end of the 150'. To this point, there was approximately 10-12' of elevation gain from the portable outlet to the Z-valve. Another 100' of 4" was then stretched from the Z-valve to the "attack" pumper. This went downhill around 5-6' in elevation loss; total elevation gain from portable output to attack input was around 5-6' elevation gain. The portable was primed quite easily by simply opening the master steamer and flowing water out of the engine- worked like a charm.

Once primed and flowing water, the portable pump flowed water through the attack pumper deck gun (the pump was not engaged) at around 50 psi and 80 gpm according to the flow meter on the Foam Pro. Once the pump was simply engaged, the gpm essentially doubled.

We could easily flow a constant 330-340 gpm through the attack pumper without issue. When we started increasing the throttle, we would momentarily hit 375 gpm before cavitation. It was no surprise that with such a short amount of LDH and such a relatively small pump, the relay pumper couldn't keep enough residual pressure to continue relaying when the attack pumper was approaching cavitation.

I post this so anyone else with a similar portalbe pump has an idea of what they are capable of. Anyone ever siamesed a couple of these together? What kind of flow increase did you see?

Forum Member

Thanks for the good info. One of my dept's bought the trash pumps, I really don't get that. I guess they must be cheaper. The other has a regular Honda firepump. If I get a chance to take it out and test it like you did, I'll post the results.

Forum Member

I'm not entirely sure why we have this one. This was the first time it had been used in close to 2 years, I know they used it before I got on as a water supply while doing hose testing. I need to contact some of our mutual aid departments and see what they have for pumps, maybe do some testing/experimenting with them sometime.

Thread Information