Forum Member

Default Fire 1 online classes?

hi all, first post although ive been lurking for a while. I recently got my medic cert, now i need a FF1 academy. Is there an online school where i can take these prerequisites for most of these CA FF1 academy's?

Forum Member

Congratulations of earning your medic license. I am sure you are finding that here in California, most departments require a basic fire academy. The challenge you will now have is to get paramedic experience while taking classes enroute to completing a basic fire academy.

The best advice I can give you is to work as a 911 paramedic. This means working in a system that responds to first in 911 calls. DO NOT WORK ON AN EMT AMBULANCE WITH A PARAMEDIC LICENSE. Any department who hires you will expect you to be a competent paramedic. No department wants to hire a "Stale" paramedic.

I recently conducted my department's entry level firefighter/paramedic recruitment. I invited 15 people to paramedic practical exams. The number of people who passed was extremely disappointing (considering we have a significant number of openings). The test was not hard. It was exactly what you would expect from a paramedic practical exam. I personally spoke to each candidate and told them that we have a large number of openings. I told them where they could go to get a copy of the grading sheets my evaluators would be using. I reminded my evaluators that we needed people to pass so we could hire them.

Im the end the fail rate was unbelievable.

If you are a paramedic preparing for a skills assessment, it's imperative that you practice. Get the National Registry grading sheets, borrow an intubation manikin, and a rhythm generator and be prepared to run a code. Don't forget your BLS skills too.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Great, thx. Yes, looks like most of these academy's require some basic classes already taken, so im trying to get them done online. Hopefully i will get in spring 2015 academy, then get hired on with AMR as a medic somewhere in socal after that. Thanks again.

Thread Information