Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By islandfire03

Thread: just another case of safer failure

Forum Member

Default just another case of safer failure

Here is why the SAFER program is broken.

Another case of FF's out of a job because even though the city took the funds, there was NO plan to fund the hired positions locally when the federal dollars run out. Some might even speculate there was no intention to do so after the federal $$$$ ran out.

http://www.firehouse.com/news/116689...n=CPS140820005

MembersZone Subscriber

Can't agree more, go back to the five year plan, stop giving welfare to the cities. The purpose of the grant program should be a hand-up not a hand-out. A sustainability plan must be part of the application process!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mwtetreault View Post
    A sustainability plan must be part of the application process!
    It used to be! But nobody could come up with one, so nobody applied for a grant. And when various special interests saw the program in danger, there was a miraculous revision of the rules to allow this sort of silly sh** to happen.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber

On the contrary EastKyFF. I was writing lots of successful SAFER grants both for R&R and Hiring prior to the changes and never seemed to have a bit of problem finding departments that could qualify and present a sustainability plan that would work.... and which did. You are right that some cities and departments could not find a way to sustain it and in my honest opinion, that was the whole point. It was never designed or intended to be a handout for all departments ( as it is now) it was supposed to be a "buffer zone". If you could not meet the requirements well, so be it, you should not apply for the grant.

What happened, plain and simple, is that the current POTUS made campaign promises to labor unions across the US and played upon an under-employed and recession weary public promising them "jobs", millions of them to be exact. They all drank that "kool-aid" that was being espoused and then once in office, he had to deliver those "jobs". That is exactly why the Fire Station Construction Grant came forth and why SAFER was instantly infused with double the money it had before by raiding the AFG program and all "matching requirements and penalties or conditions of award" were basically thrown in a dumpster. We watched as a really good grant program, that was actually accomplishing something, was turned into nothing short of a government sanctioned welfare program for FDs. When you don't require people to work for something that you give them, they just get more and more lazy and begin sticking that hand out there more and more often.

Do I blame Fire Departments for this, no I don't! If the government is going to offer it then, you should absolutely take advantage of it because if you don't, someone else will. I blame the politicians for pandering to the citizens just to get elected instead of "leading" their citizens by letting them know that if they want services, then somebody has to pay and your paltry property taxes and federal income tax, don't produce enough money to fund everything for free!

There are just too many examples of towns and municipalities all over this country that have proper leadership and leaders who take their fiduciary responsibility seriously and who make sure they have income before promising services that they cannot deliver.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 08-28-2014 at 09:13 AM.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

You're right, Kurt. I used the word "nobody" for exaggeration's sake. It's clear that SAFER has worked in some situations, but I have a sneaking suspicion the failure rate is far worse than AFG.

And the various special interests I mentioned include the very critters you mentioned. Isn't it handy that a five-year freebie will get you past a presidential election?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    You're right, Kurt. I used the word "nobody" for exaggeration's sake. It's clear that SAFER has worked in some situations, but I have a sneaking suspicion the failure rate is far worse than AFG.

And the various special interests I mentioned include the very critters you mentioned. Isn't it handy that a five-year freebie will get you past a presidential election?
    Funny how those thing work eh?
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

If SAFER is destined to stay in its current state, I would much rather see the money be put into fire station construction grants. Talk about putting people to work and long term benefit to a community! Other wise SAFER is a great program under the original rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mwtetreault View Post
    If SAFER is destined to stay in its current state, I would much rather see the money be put into fire station construction grants. Talk about putting people to work and long term benefit to a community! Other wise SAFER is a great program under the original rules.
    That's hard to argue with. Of course, the complexity of a construction project using federal money is obscene, but there's no doubt that the impact would last many years.

Back when we were borrowing money from our great-grandchildren for stupid stimulus stuff several years ago, I couldn't get my head around the fact that we were procuring money in that manner in order to invest in speculative ventures, all in the midst of constant news reports about our aging power grid and the dangerous bridges (e.g. Minnesota) that we were driving on. Why weren't we building bridges instead of financing booger-powered automobiles???

Forum Member

The biggest issue I have is that cities got a hiring grant for millions of $$$ then when the money runs out they cry that they will have to lay all the new hires off , so they get funded for another two years. And then 2 years later here we are with layoffs imminent. Many cities have gotten on the govt dole ferris wheel with no plan to fund the positions locally.
    mwtetreault likes this.

Thread Information