MembersZone Subscriber

Question Spec.Rescue International

I just completed a couple courses from Spec. Rescue International.

Has anyone every worked with them? If you have, Did you try to get your certs transfered or recognized so you could get a pro-board stamp or IFSAC. I tired to email the company and ask the instructors, but I have yet to hear from them. I figure I'd ask y'all on here.

They seem to have a lot of clients, so I feel that this isn't an absurd question and they must have some kind of relationship with some entity that issues pro-board certificates.

MembersZone Subscriber

200 views, 0 replies. I thought such a popular company and proclaimed expert in Specialized "Technical Rescue" would have at least one reply. Oh well.

Forum Member

I'm pretty sure that a class has to be pro-board when you take it in order for you to get the pro-board seal of approval on it. To my knowledge it's not something you can take somewhere else to get the accreditation from another agency. Pro-board and IFSAC are accrediting the process used for the student to get their certification. To take a class at one place and have it Pro-Boarded by another would defeat the purpose of the accreditation in the first place.

Forum Member

My name is Jeff Matthews, President of Technical Rescue Consultants, LLC (www.technicalrc.net) We serve the same markets as spec rescue. I don't want to speak for them, but I can tell you what we know about Pro-Board and IFSAC.

Bottom line is that only one entity can be the AHJ for state certification. That generally lies with the State Fire academy or some sort of licensing division with in your state government. As far as I know, no for-profit company has been authorized by a state to hold the ability to "certify" anyone. Due to the legality of it all and the fact that the accreditation groups' charters prevent them from accrediting a for profit company to issue a "certification" in a state where they have no authority, I doubt you will get what your after.

Accreditation is more than just the curriculum. It relies heavily on how you were tested, and the validation of the test to the know standard...ie NFPA 1006. We have had contracts where the state has performed accreditation testing after the class in order to "certify" students. However, these arrangements were made long before the first student stepped foot in a classroom and the course was for a specific customer (vs open enrollment)

My suggestion to anyone reading this...Take your state's technical rescue program to get your certification as needed. Than look to a contractor to expand that knowledge; there are many good companies that often respond to these forums. I'm not knocking state instructors by any means. But often times State Academy courses are limited due to it being a "certification" based curriculum. The instructors just simply don't have a course mechanism to relay advanced information.

I hope this helps and I know it's frustrating. We fought to get some rules changed for a couple of years to no avail.

Thread Information