Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By slackjawedyokel

Thread: Looking for info and possibly videos on power plant coal dust explosions

  1. #1
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,050

    Default Looking for info and possibly videos on power plant coal dust explosions

    I have tasked with giving a short presentation on power plant coal dust explosions. It is not my area of expertise so any help would be appreciated.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,596

    Default

    Wish I could help you out but like you, that's something that I have no real experience with.

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,050

    Default

    With all the myriad of experience and knowledge on these forums no one knows anything about coal dust explosions?

    I am at a loss for words...

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1

    Default Coals dust explosions

    The CSB, Chemical Safety Board has some nice videos--free upon request, about dust explosions-coal, sugar, plastic etc.
    Also you can just search google or yahoo for coal dust explosion videos.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    18

    Default

    I work at a coal-fired plant, and while we haven't had any issues here, there have been some coal dust explosions at another facility our company operates. I'll see if I can dig up some of the photos I know we have of the aftermath.

    The tricky part is extinguishing a fire that has potential access to coal dust - if the dust is disturbed & becomes airborn, it will light off very easily. Our protocol is to try and lay a water fog on it until it's saturated, then you have more options. Depending on access, another option is to let it burn out if you can't safely put water on it.

    The dust explosions can sometimes happen in "chains", in that the concussion from the explosion in one conveyor galley or area causes the dust in the next galley to go airborn & ignite, etc. There are required fire doors between the individual areas, but there are often openings that have been made for wiring, plumbing, etc. In many plants, there are plenty of other ignition sources besides a fire, as well; heaters, hot bearings or conveyor skirting come to mind.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default

    You can give a cool little display with a candle and a spoon of coffee creamer. Have the candle burning and sprinkle a spoonful of creamer over over the flame..the more atomised the creamer the better..results in a nice little dust fire. Shows how dust will burn.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iceman7104 View Post
    I work at a coal-fired plant, and while we haven't had any issues here, there have been some coal dust explosions at another facility our company operates. I'll see if I can dig up some of the photos I know we have of the aftermath.

    The tricky part is extinguishing a fire that has potential access to coal dust - if the dust is disturbed & becomes airborn, it will light off very easily. Our protocol is to try and lay a water fog on it until it's saturated, then you have more options. Depending on access, another option is to let it burn out if you can't safely put water on it.

    The dust explosions can sometimes happen in "chains", in that the concussion from the explosion in one conveyor galley or area causes the dust in the next galley to go airborn & ignite, etc. There are required fire doors between the individual areas, but there are often openings that have been made for wiring, plumbing, etc. In many plants, there are plenty of other ignition sources besides a fire, as well; heaters, hot bearings or conveyor skirting come to mind.
    Thanks for the info!!

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hdturrentine View Post
    The CSB, Chemical Safety Board has some nice videos--free upon request, about dust explosions-coal, sugar, plastic etc.
    Also you can just search google or yahoo for coal dust explosion videos.
    Thanks I will contact them and look online.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tail Board Trash View Post
    You can give a cool little display with a candle and a spoon of coffee creamer. Have the candle burning and sprinkle a spoonful of creamer over over the flame..the more atomised the creamer the better..results in a nice little dust fire. Shows how dust will burn.
    Sounds like a cool demo.

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tail Board Trash View Post
    You can give a cool little display with a candle and a spoon of coffee creamer. Have the candle burning and sprinkle a spoonful of creamer over over the flame..the more atomised the creamer the better..results in a nice little dust fire. Shows how dust will burn.
    I have seen it done, switched to real half/half right away
    iceman7104 likes this.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Lakes Region, NH
    Posts
    77

    Default

    There is this, not coal dust, but.....

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRw4ZRqmxOc

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,287

    Default

    Dust explosions in general may help serve your needs - and many is the grain elevator that has suffered such an explosion.

    Flour makes a pretty good demo, too.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    WVFD705's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Woodson, Texas
    Posts
    153

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,050

    Default

    Thanks guys!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cooper Power Plant
    By tfpd109 in forum Nebraska
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2006, 03:37 PM
  2. Dust Explosions-A new study
    By NJFFSA16 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 05:12 AM
  3. Norfolk, Nebraska Power plant
    By NJFFSA16 in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2002, 01:56 AM
  4. South Boston -Power plant
    By NJFFSA16 in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-02-2002, 12:03 AM
  5. Florida Power & Light Plant fire
    By NJFFSA16 in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2002, 01:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register