Forum Member

Default Anybody know where to get????

I am looking for a street type mat to use with hotwheels, matchbox type trucks and cars for some highway safety training. What has anybody came up with or bought that they like? Needs to be to scale and have different road type situations such as Interstate, 2 lane, intersections, ect.....
    Thanks in advance.
    Lt. Michael

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I know Kmart used to have them.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Great idea by the way. Currently I use matchbox fire trucks in apparatus placement and tactics classes. I have been taking in a roll of white butcher paper I have and had the students draw a location and we went from there.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a fair sized simulation "board" consisting of HO scale buildings and a bunch of diecast vehicles for fire, EMS, police, and other agencies. It also includes short stretch of railroad track. It's at our training center.

Several years ago we got a grant that I was able to use to rehab the simulator. It now sports custom painted fire trucks (two different "agencies), police vehicles (four different "agencies"), and EMS vehicles (ALS & BLS, three different "agencies") allowing a variety of simulation scenarios. I also "installed" color coded fire hydrants.

That said, there used to be a fellow who travelled around NY state with old air pack cases full of HO buildings, vehicles, etc. He would set up 8 to 10 folding tables (the usual 8 footers), cover them with butcher paper/newsprint and lay out various street scenarios ranging from light urban to rural. Water mains were yarn (showing flow capability).

I would recommend that you pay a visit to your local hobby shop (one that handles trains). They will have all sorts of stuff you might be able to use, including road material, and may be able to help you with tips if you were to choose to build a permanent sim board.
    Last edited by tree68; 09-23-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Thread Information