Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By USAFfiredog

Thread: VA Disability limitations

Forum Member

Default VA Disability limitations

I was about to apply to a fire department in my area and it had something I've never seen before. On the application it said "Applicant must not be receiving more than 10% compensation from United States Government for service injury or illness"

Is this allowed? I wasn't for sure if the fire service could be excused even if all physical and mental requirements from the dept. are met.

Here is a link to the EEOC if anyone is interested. It seems that they are wrong to disqualify people for a >10% rating.
    http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/publication..._employers.cfm

Thoughts/information is appreciated.

Thank you.

Forum Member

I don’t know about VA benefits but I assume it’s the same as someone being on Social security disability. People that are on disability cannot work but so many hours and make but so much money (something like not more than $1000.00 a month.) or they would cancel the benefits. Now this does not include people on SSI they are not eligible to work at all while receiving benefits. If you are able to work a full time job then why should you be entitled to disability benefits?

Forum Member

There is no income rule from the V.A. unless you are 100% I/U, then you are only allowed to earn a specific amount on top of what the VA gives you. You can be up to 100% non I/U, and have a full time career with no income limitations what so ever.

As far as the city not allowing anyone with greater than 10% to join the department, that doesn't sound right... but I have heard crazier things. Kind of like some departments having age limits, and BMI limits.... I would suggest contacting your local D.A.V. and see what they think.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snarff View Post
    If you are able to work a full time then why should you be entitled to disability benefits?
    Maybe he was hurt while deployed voluntarily serving his country...

"Sorry about your back, both knees, both ankles, and your hearing sucks"

"Here's $130 bucks(if 10%) a month for your troubles"

-Uncle Sam

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snarff View Post
    I don’t know about VA benefits but I assume it’s the same as someone being on Social security disability. People that are on disability cannot work but so many hours and make but so much money (something like not more than $1000.00 a month.) or they would cancel the benefits. Now this does not include people on SSI they are not eligible to work at all while receiving benefits. If you are able to work a full time job then why should you be entitled to disability benefits?
    He wasn't asking whether or not he should be entitled to them. I gave up 5 years of my life to the Air Force Fire Department, lost hearing in my left ear, and will be blind by 50. That disability money helps (barely) to cover what our insurance doesn't.

To the OP, it doesn't sound right. I would be in touch with my local Veteran Service Office and ask around.

Thread Information