• 1 Post By IDNeon
  • 1 Post By RFDACM02
  • 1 Post By IDNeon
  • 1 Post By RFDACM02
  • 1 Post By FF2Midwest

Thread: Truth about Ebola

Forum Member

Default Truth about Ebola

Fron the world health organization. Ebola CAN be transmitted by face to face conversation.

Treat Ebola like you treat a TB patient. Everyone ought to use standard precautions with hazardous fluids.

Also. The only way to disinfect Ebola is 140 degrees for 1 hour or 212 F for 10 min...OR...

20% Bleach solution (technically 1 part bleach per 5 parts water which is what...18%? But why split hairs).

If you thought Ebola is like Hepatitis or AIDS in terms of direct contact you're wrong. It is more like the Flu and can be highly variable.

In Nigeria a man came off a plane and was quarantined immediately they followed 842 contacts and 20 people got sick 10 died.

In Senegal a man got sick was contagious for 1 week before isolation they identified him, they Quarantined 64 people none of them got sick.

Will Dallas turn into Senegal? Nigeria? GOD FORBID...Liberia?

The future now depends partly on luck and mostly on your PRUDENCE!

Don't believe the public assurances.

CAVICIDE will not kill Ebola so your ambulances aren't disinfected just because you used caviwipes on the gourney.

One last thing. ...while ebola tends to have a low transmission...it takes only 400 Viruses (individual viruses) to infect you.

That is to say 400 units is a lethal dose.

Suspected patients or contacts...do not have them talk directly facing you, stay 3 to 6 feet away, do not touch them unless you have to, 20% bleach cleaning solutions.

That's my advice, this is all public record from the WHO and is THEIR policy for interacting with suspected Ebola patients.

Below is a url to the WHO's guidelines for interacting with and finding "contacts" this is NOT a guideline for dealing with Ebola patients but the rules there show just how strict you really must be.

http://www.who.int/csr/resources/pub...ct-tracing/en/
    Last edited by IDNeon; 10-03-2014 at 03:43 AM.
    HBofCJ likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have to say that the CDC guidance for EMS on responding to suspected Ebola patients seemed to be far too politically correct for community safety. Basically the calltaker/dispatchers have questions that may lead them to suspect Ebola and we still are sent to transport the patient to the ED? At what point do we invoke some sort of response team that addresses this potential victim in their home and doesn't expose far more people to the potential virus? Shutting down the one ED in our region for quarantine for any period of time would have a significant negative impact.
    HBofCJ likes this.

Forum Member

I don't know what their long term plan is I think they hope it will just go away.

Important: Ebola historically never effects more than the SMALL RURAL VILLAGE where it began. The health community since December never expected it to grow in a large city.

They have under estimated THIS strain from day one and it has not behaved as normal Ebola.

I say treat it as if the CDC and WHO are dealing with old tactics in a new war.

My question is...what will happen to the financial payment systems in an outbreak? People can't pay for $100,000 treatments.

But as for house calls not a bad idea...but I assume the level of intensive care involved makes that difficult?

Also the lack of personel forces them to concentrate patients into camps and hospitals...

I also thought of a tracking system based on days of the week.

A B C D E F G.

A is Monday.

If you're an A all your public activities are on Monday. Buying groceries, paying bills, whatever.

This way you divide the population into 7s if an A gets sice their tracking becomes much easier.

There are a LOT of innovations that can come from this even if Dallas never amounts to more than patient 0.
    HBofCJ likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by IDNeon View Post

But as for house calls not a bad idea...but I assume the level of intensive care involved makes that difficult?
    I was thinking of the house call being the first step in determining if it's an actual case, then moving them under quarantine to an appropriate facility without exposing under-prepared EMS and ED's. I couldn't begin to fathom the actual treatment and widespread issue if this becomes a true outbreak. Maybe some sort of Ebola strike teams ready to respond and assess then move the victims. At least while this is still very limited and preparations are still lacking?
    HBofCJ likes this.

Forum Member

I cannot believe that they want to bring Ebola patients to the US for "treatment". Why not put a hospital ship in the Atlantic Ocean, off the African Continent to isolate and treat the patients.

Forum Member

If Ebola is transmitted as they say by direct contact with bodily fluids then I would like to know how the cameraman working for NBC became infected?
    HBofCJ likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE117 View Post
    I cannot believe that they want to bring Ebola patients to the US for "treatment". Why not put a hospital ship in the Atlantic Ocean, off the African Continent to isolate and treat the patients.
    Because that hospital ship will quickly become overcome.

I thought about using plum island for US cases, but was told I am insensitive.

Forum Member

Excellent Topic IDNeon and thank you. Thanks also for the other intelligent answers. I find it rather refreshing, that, from all places as a Firefighters Forum, do we get accurate, concise, timely discussion regarding Ebola. Just me. HB of CJ (old coot) Retired FF, PM, RN.

Forum Member

A nurse in Spain has contracted Ebola.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebo...africa-n219581

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by IDNeon View Post
    Fron the world health organization. Ebola CAN be transmitted by face to face conversation.
    I just ready the WHO info in the link you provided and do not find where they state that Ebola can be contracted by any means other than direct physical contact with something, ie: not airborne? I fully understand that it doesn't appear anyone has a true handle on this, but if your source for the above statement was the guidance provided in the link, it doesn't say that. They do note that those who have been in direct proximity should be evaluated and isolated to ensure they've not contracted the disease, but it certainly falls short of saying it's airborne. If you have any other links to something contrary to this it would be helpful. I think we should be taking a safe approach and thinking about alternatives to the current EMS response given a possible Ebola patient, but we must also be careful not to violate our duty to act based on something other than fact.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Because that hospital ship will quickly become overcome.

I thought about using plum island for US cases, but was told I am insensitive.
    Isolation is the most effective means to prevent transmission. Whether its a ship or Plum Island, having infected Ebola patients in civilian hospitals in the US, can spread it to the civilian population. Maybe sending them to Washington, DC for treatment might get the proper response.

Forum Member

I just had a transfer from a small out laying hospital to a larger metro hospital. The pt just came into the country FROM WEST AFRICA and had flu like symptoms.
    Turns out the pt had malaria, Point is the hospital did not have the pt in isolation and pt was allowed to sit in the waiting room for hours after she told them she had been to Africa. I took full precautions on the trip and there were no incidents. But it was still an eye opener
    No one is giving this the respect that it needs

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by L-Webb View Post
    I just had a transfer from a small out laying hospital to a larger metro hospital. The pt just came into the country FROM WEST AFRICA and had flu like symptoms.
    Turns out the pt had malaria, Point is the hospital did not have the pt in isolation and pt was allowed to sit in the waiting room for hours after she told them she had been to Africa. I took full precautions on the trip and there were no incidents. But it was still an eye opener
    No one is giving this the respect that it needs
    I totally agree. This Ebola could turn out to be a major public health emergency. There needs to be a serious concern for what is going on, not apathy.

Forum Member

Looks like a nurse who was wearing protective gear has contracted Ebola.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/12/health...html?hpt=hp_t1

Forum Member

It would seem to me that the government should place anyone entering from a trip the originated or passed through west africa into a mandatory quarantine of at least a week on entry into the US.

At least that would minimize the possibility of spreading the disease into the public sector. Those that develop the disease can then be treated properly while in quarantine by properly trained and equipped medical personnel.
    Guantanamo comes to mind as an excellent location for this quarantine period.

Thread Information