Forum Member

Default Lawrence, Ks 2015

The home of the Jayhawks is hiring starting now and open until December. I am attaching the link to the city website.

http://www.lawrenceks.org/fire_medic..._opportunities

If you have questions please ask and I will do my best to address them.

No fire certifications are required. You will attend an academy regardless of if you are certified or not. No preference for MICT's noted on the application but the department could certainly use more. Great opportunity for those MICT's w/out certs to get into the fire service.

EMT is required and if you are not a paramedic you will be advanced to the level of EMT-A. Paramedics still attend the medical portion of the academy.

LDCFM uses an Extraboard hiring process. Please read the information on the website and post your questions here.

The department is accredited, provides great salary/benefits, and also provides great equipment and apparatuses.

Forum Member

Lots of views.

This is one of the best cities to live in the midwest... Don't overlook this department if you are looking for a job. It may not have the big city name but you will be hard pressed to find a better place to work.

Forum Member

Bumping this back up for the week. Really hope that some of you take interest in this great department. It is one that would be well worth it to come from outside the local area.

Forum Member

I think what keeps people from applying from outside the area, is that this is only a Part-Time position right now that is used as the full-time list for future full time employment. Correct me if I am wrong, that is how I read the job posting.

Forum Member

That is correct in description. However, our current list from our last class have been working essentially full time for quite awhile now. They also get the first chance at any and all overtime. It does not take long for a few individuals to get hired off the list and your hours are essentially full time hours. Don't get me wrong there are going to be some "tough" pay periods. We also work various special events.

The current list is down to 5. We hired 12 in the last class and they hit the "line" in the late summer of 2013. So that shows you we hired 7 in the past 14 months. It was actually 9 in the last 14 months because 2 from the previous class were still on the list.

You are hired in the order you finish in class. You are ranked on your performance throughout the duration of the class. Want to get hired first? Well study your butt off and finish at the top.

There are advantages to being hired early in the group... for example you are assigned a shift, station, better benefit prices for your family, etc.

If you are hired later in class you can obviously make much more $$ w/ the chance at all overtime always going through extra-board firefighters. You get to travel to various shifts/stations and meet the rest of the crews. There have been cases were some of the later hires from EB have made as much as our captains.

The "part time" is a very weird description for this position. I can promise that the wait on the EB list is worth it for many reasons. We are close to being the best paid in the area and we top out VERY quickly.

We have many paid incentives including a 2.5% for an associates or above. Various incentive such as CSI, Public education, fire investigator, and many more. All of those are between 5-7% of your base salary every month. We also have Acting officers (2.5%), Lt's, and captains which provides more room for advancement than other departments if that is your goal. Not to mention the promotion to Engineer (driver) is obtained by everyone... you do not have to wait for a position to open. This is a great part of our department that is lacked on others. With that promotion (eligible after 3 years and having pumper/aerial) comes a nice pay raise as well.

Thread Information