Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By captnjak

Thread: Vertical ventilation and ul studies, change in priorities?

Forum Member

Default Vertical ventilation and ul studies, change in priorities?

As a truck company...

With the recent ul/ nist studies recommending limiting flow paths to a ventilation limited fire have you minimized the amount of vertical ventilation that was commonly performed in the past?

If so, what other priorities have replaced that practice?

I say recon or 360, forcible entry, known rescue, 1 all clear, would be priorities over vertical ventilation.

I'd like to hear how these studies have influenced your operations?

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinions.

Forum Member

The reason for vertical ventilation is creating a flowpath where fire vents out the roof while fresh air is drawn in via horizontal openings at a lower level. This is still sound firefighting as long as firefighters are not actually in the flowpath. The problem that can arise is a situation where the roof is vented and fire is blowing out the roof, but is also blowing out one or more windows. This is because the roof opening is not big enough to relieve the heat energy of the fire. It should be pointed out that ventilation usually leads to an increase in burn rate and heat release. I believe there will be further tests aimed at vertical ventilation practices with a concentration on size of openings. We may not be making them big enough and at what size point does it become unproductive?

For peaked roof private dwelling fires my department is one that does not normally make roof ventilation a high priority. We have good staffing and response times, along with a great water supply system, which allows us to successfully concentate on horizontal ventilation, extinguishment and aggressive search. We believe that at most fires we can accomplish these things before a sufficient vent hole on the roof could be cut, pulled, ceiling pushed down, etc.
    Last edited by captnjak; 10-15-2014 at 11:07 AM.
    Biggie55 likes this.

Forum Member

Thank you Captnjak, I value your input. Those factors you mentioned are also factors that we typically find here in Southern California, and I understand that all tactics and strategy are situation dependent. Thanks again.

Forum Member

Here's a great video from Virginia Beach FD regarding a close call they had when an apparent flow path issue created a flashover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA5pU8Ceuuc
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Here's a great video from Virginia Beach FD regarding a close call they had when an apparent flow path issue created a flashover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA5pU8Ceuuc
    Great video and well worth the 22 minutes.

Major point of emphasis is that they felt there was a known life hazard and this justified an agressive search in that portion of the house even though most of house was involved in fire. They stated that area was tenable at the time of entry so this was not a case of hurling themselves into a severe fire condition. Conditions deteriorated after entry and they made the right call to get out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by captnjak View Post
    Great video and well worth the 22 minutes.

Major point of emphasis is that they felt there was a known life hazard and this justified an agressive search in that portion of the house even though most of house was involved in fire. They stated that area was tenable at the time of entry so this was not a case of hurling themselves into a severe fire condition. Conditions deteriorated after entry and they made the right call to get out.
    We watched it at drill and had some great discussion.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Thread Information