Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bigjim54
  • 1 Post By slackjawedyokel
  • 1 Post By Johngagemn

Thread: What can you use for Darley primer oil?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What can you use for Darley primer oil?

What can you use for primer oil in a Darley pump?

MembersZone Subscriber

Call Darley at 800-323-0244 and ask for pump technical help. That gets you the correct answer right form the manufacturer.
    Johngagemn likes this.

Forum Member

From a manual for a Darley LDM:

LUBRICATING SYSTEM - ELECTRIC PRIMING PUMP S WITH FLUID RESERVOIR
    The electric motor rotary van primer pump creates a high vacuum by continuous lubrication of rotor and
    vanes. Therefore the primer lubricant supply tanks (4 quarts) should be kept full at all times.
    Recommended primer system lubricant is Darley PRIME GREEN. PRIME GREEN is an
    environmentally safe, non-toxic, biodegradable lubricant. Its use assures proper primer vane
    lubricant while minimizing environmental effects.
    If you are unsure whether you have an oiled or oil-free primer you should definitely call Darley with your pump serial number and ask. If you do have an oiled primer make sure you are using a proper priming oil, and NOT Sierra antifreeze or some other similar fluid as it will not provide proper lubrication and sealing for your priming pump.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess my question should have been what can I use for a substitute for Prime Green. I do not know if Darley will tell me that.

Forum Member

why would you use a product other than what the manufacturer specifies?
    To not use it could void your warrantee and cause damage to your primer pump.

unless you are drafting many times a day your not using much oil anyway, so cost shouldn't be an issue.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    why would you use a product other than what the manufacturer specifies?
    To not use it could void your warrantee and cause damage to your primer pump.

unless you are drafting many times a day your not using much oil anyway, so cost shouldn't be an issue.
    One thing of note with any of the "Green" or "Safe" priming oils: make sure you run your primer for 20-30 seconds at least once per week. If you don't, the biodegradable oil can break down inside the primer and cause vanes to stick, resulting in a poorly functioning or inoperative primer. While other alternative lubricants may allow the primer to function properly, in most places it is illegal to dump them onto the ground and into storm-water sewers.

Forum Member

Just curious, but wouldn't driving the truck on a regular basis tend to "mix" the oil up enough? I have to imagine the oil in the reservoir will be shaking/mixing/etc during normal road travel thanks to bumps, turns, braking, etc.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Just curious, but wouldn't driving the truck on a regular basis tend to "mix" the oil up enough? I have to imagine the oil in the reservoir will be shaking/mixing/etc during normal road travel thanks to bumps, turns, braking, etc.
    Its not so much "mixing" the stuff , its the smaller amounts in the primer itself that "jell" up
    Johngagemn likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Its not so much "mixing" the stuff , its the smaller amounts in the primer itself that "jell" up
    ^This.

The stuff in the tank is usually fine. It's the stuff coating the vanes and cylinder of the priming pump that becomes problematic.

MembersZone Subscriber

On our newer (2003) Darley, we've been using Sierra Antifreeze as per Darley's recommendation and never have had any problems. We also flushed out the oil in our older Darley (1991) and are also using the Sierra product.

See http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...tifreeze-1-gal

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    On our newer (2003) Darley, we've been using Sierra Antifreeze as per Darley's recommendation and never have had any problems. We also flushed out the oil in our older Darley (1991) and are also using the Sierra product.

See http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...tifreeze-1-gal
    You should call Darley to see if they still recommend that. Hale recommended it for a short time and then stopped when they realized it was destroying priming pumps. There are a lot of rumors that fly around about what manufacturers recommend (I know, I used to hear all kinds of crazy stuff that my former employer supposedly "recommended"), but unless you read it yourself in a manual provided by the manufacturer or hear it from them directly, be skeptical.

The current Darley instructions on their website specify "PRIME GREEN" only.
    islandfire03 likes this.

Thread Information