Forum Member

Default Personal vehicle ready in Winter

How does everyone keep their personal vehicle ready for response during the winter with cold temps and snow? Especially if you don't have a garage or a plow.

Forum Member

I always recommend to our guys that they keep an old bath towel spread over the driver's side of the windshield. This helps in both frost and snow. Probably works better to dog-ear one corner so you can rip and run. If slick roads are expected, I suggest backing the vehicle into the driveway so you don't have to turn around when a call comes in.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

MembersZone Subscriber

I sewed up a cover that will go over the entire windshield and secure to the mirrors, back when my vehicles regularly had to stay outside (another vehicle was in the garage). If you have someone who can do that for you, don't forget to include a magnetic strip (available at any sewing store) along the top along with some vertical stiffeners.

Make sure you've got good wipers and good washer fluid.

Some sort of an engine heater is de rigeur if you live in really cold country.

I always back in anyhow - where I would have to back out has visibility issues - but it's a lot easier to blast out through the snowbank left by the plow if you're headed forward.

Speaking of snow in the driveway - I'll often clear the driveway several times through a storm, rather than waiting for the end. Yeah - I'm out in the crud when I could be inside, warm, and comfy, but it's better than getting stuck in my own driveway.

If the windshield is cold (as it will be), think about rolling down the driver's window for a bit. It may make things a bit nippy inside your vehicle, but will allow better flow from the defrosters, and will help prevent your own breath from fogging up the inside of the windshield.

Forum Member

How much snow you got right now, tree68?
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

My biggest issue usually isn't getting out after a storm. Getting *in* my driveway is usually the problem- even with a plow on the front of the truck. My driveway is usually the last thing I clear after a storm since plowing is what pays the bills during the winter.....

Forum Member

I leave my wipers up and put an old rug under the drivers side. I keep my truck full of gas.

Forum Member

I always use a high quality windshield treatment like Rain-X on all the windows and headlights so snow and ice don't stick as much. And I'll clean all the door rubber seals and put on an application of silicone spray so they don't freeze shut. I have a tarp to cover the windshield, mirrors and front side windows, and I spray silicone on that too. You can also get magnetic block heaters to keep your engine warm.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    I always recommend to our guys that they keep an old bath towel spread over the driver's side of the windshield. This helps in both frost and snow. Probably works better to dog-ear one corner so you can rip and run. If slick roads are expected, I suggest backing the vehicle into the driveway so you don't have to turn around when a call comes in.
    not so good when it rains first , soaks the towel and then freezes hard --I know from experience

Forum Member

My 4X4 pickup is parked facing out of the driveway. I keep it plugged in to the block heater, when the temperature is 30 degrees or less. I buy several types of window scrapers and keep them in the cab. I use the most appropriate scraper, depending on what is on the windshield (ice, snow, etc.. I change the wiper blades every year, too. Whenever I buy a new battery for any of my vehicles, the 4X4 gets the new one and the used one goes to another vehicle. Don't want a dead battery in the winter time!

I always keep a heavy pulling tow rope, clevis w/pin, booster cables, 5 lb. DC fire ext., toolbox, couple cans of fix-a-flat and a few other essentials in the truck, too.

In the back of my pickup, I keep several sandbags, to weight down the rear end, to help give traction on the ice. Also, a scoop shovel in the box, to shovel out, when I do get stuck (about once a winter). if I get stuck on ice, I can rip open a sandbag and dump sand on the ground, around the tires, to give me traction on the ice.

Don't forget some winter gear, too. I carry a sleeping bag, hand warmers, candles w/matches, etc. for survival, too.

Forum Member

One thing I do (for anyone with an appropriately equipped vehicle) keep the keys handy- next to the bed. FIRST thing to do when you roll out of bed is hit the remote starter, THEN you get dressed. It has all that much more time to warm up. Throw a tarp over the roof. Go to the middle of the front of the truck, grab the tarp with your arms stretched all the way out, and walk backwards away from the front of the truck. All the snow on the roof, windshield and hood are now on the ground. Weight in the back of course- I keep about 350-400lbs of sandbags and frozen 5-lb pails of water back there.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I can honestly say that after years of putting weight into the bed of my pick up truck I quit 2 years ago. I haven't noticed a substantial difference in drivability in our wonderful Wisconsin winters.

I keep warm clothes at the ready and drive as road conditions allow.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    How much snow you got right now, tree68?
    Right now? Virtually none, but this is Monday and it's 65 degrees and windy. We got about 6-7" here at the house.

Drove through Lowville on the way home last night from the railroad and saw some pretty good sized snowbanks.

Our "North Pole" (for the Polar Express) had snow on Friday and Saturday - Sunday night it was again almost snow-free.

There have already be a few reports of flooded basements, etc due to the thaw.

Forum Member

A friend of mine told me to never let the engine run in idle state when its cold. Because the oil pressure and the greasing is too low. He explained it to me in a better way but thats the gist of what he told me!
    A park heater should be the best way to get your vehicle ready.

My solution:
    Name:  innoscene08_012.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  27.6 KB
    source: http://www.r-zs.com/en/
    Its not exactly mine. Iam driving a Pathfinder. Not a schoolbus! *wink* But ordered a year ago a "garage" similiar to this. I was fed up with the ice scrapping etc. And believe it or not. It was cheaper than upgrading my Nissan with a park heater.

Thread Information