Forum Member

Default USFS R5 Hiring for 2015?

Hello everyone,

Basic intro, I finished my enlistment in the Navy in May and have started on the road to hopefully becoming a Wildland Firefighter. Since May I've gotten the following basic certs:

NREMT-B
    AHA CPR
    NWCG FF Type 2
    ICS 100, 200, 700, & 800
    and am enrolled at SD Miramar pursuing a degree in Fire Tech

My question is, when does the Forest Service start to post the seasonal positions on USAjobs.gov, particularly Region 5? Besides the basic cert's, are there any recommendations anyone has in order to be a more competitive candidate? I know with ZERO experience it's difficult to get a foot in the door. Thanks for your time and any feedback!

Forum Member

IB_Dude,

R5 announcements usually open early January sometime and interviews any where from late February to April. Your military experience will definitely help, if you get the veterans preference points. Looks like you have everything as far as training goes to be hired as an entry level FF2.

I would strongly recommend you pick out a forest or two you want to work and go into each station. Captains receive 100's of applications for a single position, so if you can introduce your self to the captain with a resume, you have a better shot. Stations visits, a lot of time, can mean the difference between getting the job or not. Make sure you call the station to schedule an appointment, don't just walk in. Also suit tie is recommended or just dress really nice.

Good luck.
    Last edited by StrengthBuilder; 12-02-2014 at 04:57 PM.

Forum Member

Awesome advice, thank you! I wasn't sure on the dress code, I do have a suit but wasn't sure if it was appropriate to wear out to the Forest HQ. Thanks for the tips, I'll start to call around to the forests!

Forum Member

and why not a city dept?

Forum Member

Definitely looking at city departments as well, I actually am taking the test for San Diego FD tomorrow. Without any real experience, I think working some fire seasons with the USFS will help in applying at city dept's. Ideally, my plan is to work was an EMT during the off season to get EMS experience also.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by StrengthBuilder View Post
    IB_Dude,

R5 announcements usually open early January sometime and interviews any where from late February to April. Your military experience will definitely help, if you get the veterans preference points. Looks like you have everything as far as training goes to be hired as an entry level FF2.

I would strongly recommend you pick out a forest or two you want to work and go into each station. Captains receive 100's of applications for a single position, so if you can introduce your self to the captain with a resume, you have a better shot. Stations visits, a lot of time, can mean the difference between getting the job or not. Make sure you call the station to schedule an appointment, don't just walk in. Also suit tie is recommended or just dress really nice.

Good luck.
    This is great, great advice. I'd apply to other regions too (When I apply for a promotion I apply to every region BUT region 5, but that's just me). No offense to region 5, but if you want to make a career of this I'd suggest region 3 (southwest), region 4 (great basin), or region 6 (northwest). You'll get more overtime, fight a lot more fire, and work in different fuel types. California has a lot of fire but there are SO MANY more crews and the average firefighter will gain a lot less experience there in a season. There is also a lot more room for career advancement in those regions, getting a permanent job in region 5 is very very difficult.

Thread Information