Forum Member

Default Fire Department Job Opportunities

I, along with plenty of others on thsee forums just got my list placement for thexample massachusetts fire test and am not impressed by it. Scoring a 96 and being about 3300 on the list, and no residency preference. I knew it was a long shot to begin with but it's discouraging. So my question is: is it possible to get hired is any state, or town (preferably in the northeast) without being a veteran or having residency preference? It's my true life's dream to be a career firefighter and I just would like to know if it's worth continuing to make this my priority. Thanks in advance for any help
    Last edited by rich37; 12-02-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Forum Member

The answer is yes. It takes 100% commitment and effort and an unwillingness to quit. I tested hard for two years and ended up moving across the country to make my dream a reality.

It is absolutely worth it and know that if you put everything you have into making it happen, it will. I was so discouraged at times by the volume of stellar candidates and lack of jobs and the close calls. I am telling you though, you get out of it what you put in. If you're willing to travel, many, many more doors will open for you.

Best wishes and STAY AFTER IT!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rich37 View Post
    I, along with plenty of others on thsee forums just got my list placement for thexample massachusetts fire test and am not impressed by it. Scoring a 96 and being about 3300 on the list, and no residency preference. I knew it was a long shot to begin with but it's discouraging. So my question is: is it possible to get hired is any state, or town (preferably in the northeast) without being a veteran or having residency preference? It's my true life's dream to be a career firefighter and I just would like to know if it's worth continuing to make this my priority. Thanks in advance for any help
    Do you have any ff certs?

Any emt cert?

Forum Member

I have new york state firefighter 1 and working on getting emt

Forum Member

Looks like you want to stay on the East coast.

you might consider Texas, and especially if you get paramedic,

That 3000 applicants can go down to around 100!

Check weekly

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

plus it is warmer and cheaper to live in Texas

Shawshank

I don't know much about the Mass testing process but isn't a list for the whole state to hire off of? If so, 3300 really isn't that much and I can imagine them rolling through that list DQing folks for poor backrounds, driving records, agility ect. As a former Syracuse native I can tell you that your options in NY are slim. Between residency, affirmitive action, and downsizing, jobs there are so hard to get. One might say you have a better shot at being a space shuttle door gunner for NASA. Don't get discouraged. Just keep testing anywhere you can.

Let's talk fire trucks!

So my question is: is it possible to get hired is any state, or town (preferably in the northeast) without being a veteran or having residency preference?
    Although you say you prefer the Northeast, there are a lot of departments in the Mid-Atlantic and south that are hiring. A majority don't have veteran preference and I can't think of any that have any residency preference nor requirement.

Here in VA, Henrico County, Chesterfield County, York County, and Stafford County are all taking applications. Arlington County will be taking applications very soon as well.

You wouldn't believe the number of guys we hire at work that are from NY, NJ, and PA...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Look in North Carolina. Raleigh, Charlotte, Fayetteville, Durham, Cary, Wilmington, Greensboro....all good sized cities and all hire every year or two. Can't think of any that have residency requirements.

Forum Member

Are these cities that you are listing just applications or do you have to test in too? I've heard about some departments that go by resume? Its pretty touch to get to tests that are so far away

Let's talk fire trucks!

Are these cities that you are listing just applications or do you have to test in too?
    Yes, you have to apply and test in each of these cities/counties.

I've heard about some departments that go by resume?
    Never heard of anyone doing that unless perhaps its a very small department that doesn't expect a lot of applications.

Its pretty touch to get to tests that are so far away
    Agreed, it can be tough...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information