Forum Member

Default Info about City of York, PA?

The City of York just put out their eligibility list, and I was wondering if anyone had much information about the department. Do they have a set hiring schedule, or do they only hire to fill promotions or retirements?

Also, I read that new hires are assigned to fire prevention. Anyone know much about how this works? Do new hires do fire prevention work full-time, or do they also spend some time as part of an apparatus crew? How long before a new hire is transferred from fire prevention to full-time operations?

Thanks to anyone who has info about the department.

Forum Member

At the moment I wouldn't expect York to be hiring. They're talking laying off 8 firefighters to help overcome the $7 million deficit the city is currently in, hopefully that's avoided. I could absolutely be dead wrong, but that's just what has been reported. I was hired in a similar sized city during budget cuts so anything is possible.

Given the size of the city I imagine they'd hire based on retirements and promotions. I don't have much info for the fire prevention stuff but I'll try and find out for you if no one else chimes in. Best of luck!

Forum Member

I hadn't heard about the City's budget problems, but I read a few articles and it sounds pretty discouraging. The police department is talking about laying off something like 45 out of 110. Crazy! Either way, thanks for the heads up.

And thanks in advance for any other info you happen to come across about the department.

Forum Member

I was watching video about this....saying how they need to cut 12 or something but need to hire new ones at the cost of 100k per...what sense does that make?

Thread Information