Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Finally

Forum Member

Default Finally

Today I was offered a position at a career fire department. I am writing this to say that it is possible to get a job as long as you are willing to apply everywhere, and test as often as possible. I've tested at 6 different departments, in 3 different states over the last two years (it was what i could afford). I was finally able to land a job 700 miles away from home, and I could not be happier. looking forward to starting my career with a great department.

Good luck to all you guys still testing, hand in there.

Forum Member

Congrats! 6 tests isn't to many.. good luck to you. What state did you end up in?

Forum Member

I ended up in Georgia, and i'm extremely happy with the change of location. Thanks.

Forum Member

Way to go

Enjoy stay out of trouble including no traffic tickets
    Stay healthy

Forum Member

Don't mind me asking what dept in Ga?! Georgia is a factory for hiring career guys, a lot of us from all around the country have been hired here in Georgia. Congratulations and enjoy the job! Best one in the world!

Forum Member

Congrats! Mind saying which department? Send me a PM if you don't want it in the open.

Forum Member

Congratz, welcome to the brotherhood.

Forum Member

Same thing happened to me today, yeah baby!

Forum Member

Congrats buddy! 6 different jobs and much more away from home you deserve to be a hero because its what drives you forward. Georgia is beautiful and a great state state with excellent personnel. Enjoy!

Forum Member

Thanks for all of the love guys, Just finished up the drug screen and physical, all that's left is recruit school. Luckiest guy in the world. well beside @dj_reverse, congrats to you buddy. may we both be successful.

Forum Member

Sorry but as far as i'm concerned you're still a one test wonder so don't come on here saying "finally" like it too you forever. I've been trying for 8 years with over 20 different depts. Enjoy your new job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Sorry but as far as i'm concerned you're still a one test wonder so don't come on here saying "finally" like it too you forever. I've been trying for 8 years with over 20 different depts. Enjoy your new job.
    Bitter much?

Forum Member

Congrats bro, best feeling ever.

I see why you haven't gotten on yet.

Forum Member

Congrats to the OP! Happy you made it brother. Hard work and persistence while constantly bettering yourself will get you to your dream at some point.

I posted up about my career department in KS that offers some of the best things in the midwest and hardly got any response. Not everyone is willing to make the sacrifices that you did to land the job. People aren't willing to work as an extra board for a short duration to enjoy the rest of their lives. The guys that REALLY want it get it.

Forum Member

Don't give up man. Main thing is see what is causing your short falls and believe. If it's something you have control over, change. If it's outside forces, fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cant_wait View Post
    Thanks for all of the love guys, Just finished up the drug screen and physical, all that's left is recruit school. Luckiest guy in the world. well beside @dj_reverse, congrats to you buddy. may we both be successful.
    Bro I forgot to say congrats that was conceited, first thing is first I wish you all the best with your career and most importantly your safety. Let it be long, healthy, and helpful. Congrats again my man I respect you went as far as you did from home. I'm about 350 and to my family that is still far.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceJayhawk View Post
    Congrats to the OP! Happy you made it brother. Hard work and persistence while constantly bettering yourself will get you to your dream at some point.

I posted up about my career department in KS that offers some of the best things in the midwest and hardly got any response. Not everyone is willing to make the sacrifices that you did to land the job. People aren't willing to work as an extra board for a short duration to enjoy the rest of their lives. The guys that REALLY want it get it.
    Outstanding quote. I want to copy it and use it as daily motivation.

Forum Member

NJFirefighter311- No, OP was acting like it took him forever to get in when the majority takes much, much longer.

SVTdude- you're a moron.

DJ_Reverse- Nobody said I was giving up and I don't have any short falls, just haven't been chosen yet, only so many spots...most are taken by the time i roll around (relatives of employee's, sex and race fill the gaps pretty quick)

Forum Member

NJFirefighter311- No, OP was acting like it took him forever to get in when the majority takes much, much longer.

SVTdude- you're a moron.

DJ_Reverse- Nobody said I was giving up and I don't have any short falls, just haven't been chosen yet, only so many spots...most are taken by the time i roll around (relatives of employee's, sex and race fill the gaps pretty quick)
    What state are you in and do you have any certs?

Forum Member

@Redeye. I meant no disrespect, to me it did feel like a long time but man, eight years and still going kudos on your perseverance, lesser men would have quit. I'm just glad i got lucky and wanted to share. I wish you all the best and i look forward to reading your finally post.

@Everyone else. Thanks so much, I'm just Preparing for recruit school. And will definitely heed your advice and warnings.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire5555 View Post
    What state are you in and do you have any certs?
    I'm not going to release that information and no.

Forum Member

well before you complain... you might want to at least get the fundamentals done. Get your EMT, FF1&2 w/ hazmat, possibly your MICT.

Just to be up front (neutral outside party) it sounds like you have spent 8 years doing the same things w/out improving yourself as a candidate. Find a way to separate yourself from the group. Honestly w/out those certs you are probably far behind your competition. Do you volunteer w/ the best volunteer dept within an hour or two from your home? Those are all of the absolute basics that should be accomplished if you expect to "win the lottery" and get hired. This is not meant as an attempt to cut you down by any means but a reminder that we have to exhaust ourselves for every opportunity to make ourselves the best candidate possible. Do not give them a single reason to bypass you.

Forum Member

I can see why you havn't gotten on yet, ******.
    RFDACM02 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RS2011 View Post
    I can see why you havn't gotten on yet, ******.
    You're a moron just like STDude. It's it empower you to have your words edited out? I hope so.

AFJH- I don't need any certifications and I wouldn't ever have the time to get them as I'm already a government employee working long hours. The places I apply to prefer ZERO experience so they can train you their way and I've tried twice to volunteer at two different stations, both said they were out of applications multiple times through the year....not that I'd really want to train with the local hillbilly kids that basically damage equipment and roll trucks all the time. I'm fine, I just refuse to use my race as a way in unlike everyone else. My cousin got in because she's female, even failed academy tests and got recycled twice but because her mom works for them and she's female she needed to fill the demographic.

Forum Member

Nothing wrong with being a "one-test wonder"....that is a positive, not a negative.

And RedEye, just keep trying.

Forum Member

You're a moron just like STDude. It's it empower you to have your words edited out? I hope so.

AFJH- I don't need any certifications and I wouldn't ever have the time to get them as I'm already a government employee working long hours. The places I apply to prefer ZERO experience so they can train you their way and I've tried twice to volunteer at two different stations, both said they were out of applications multiple times through the year....not that I'd really want to train with the local hillbilly kids that basically damage equipment and roll trucks all the time. I'm fine, I just refuse to use my race as a way in unlike everyone else. My cousin got in because she's female, even failed academy tests and got recycled twice but because her mom works for them and she's female she needed to fill the demographic.
    You come in here with an attitude talking down someones hard earned work and accomplishments, and not expect people to give you ****? Grow up. If you want the job man up and do what you have to do to get it, stop blaming everyone else for your shortcomings.

8 years and only 20 departments...I think i tested with 20 departments my first year chasing the badge, lol. After all was said and done i was at 4 years with around 52 departments tested at until i earned the badge. I was working full-time on midnights to support my family while volunteering on my days off; putting myself through standards and paramedic and training every chance i could get is what i had to do to earn the badge. So don't come in here disrespecting others hard work because you've had a rough time getting the badge.
    Last edited by SVTxDUDE; 12-17-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NCFF2014 View Post
    Nothing wrong with being a "one-test wonder"....that is a positive, not a negative.

And RedEye, just keep trying.
    Nobody said anything negative except the morons that attacked me...I think you all missed the point.

STDude- An attitude? Where was there an attitude at all? I laughed when I saw his thread "FINALLY" like it was this long journey...I know someone that tried for 18 years and finally got it. 20 depts in one year...wow you must be proud...Some people work long out and live far from work so they can only make due with what they can when they can. There was no disrespect to the OP, even he didn't have a ****y attitude like you and a few others. Like I said I'm already a government employee with a cush job, great benefits and pension so its NBD.

Thread Information