Forum Member

Default working for a non-emergency transport company

Today I got a call back from a non-emergency transport company to work as an EMT on an ambulance. Does that honestly bolster my chances of getting hired with the Fire Department? I respectfully don't want to waste this company's time considering me if it doesn't. I know of some of my academymates who used this as a stepping stone for their fire careers, but don't know if that really helped them get hired. I have no other fire or EMS experience. Any help would be appreciated.

Forum Member

I say take it. Experience is experience. Everytime you touch a patient you will learn something.

Eveyone has to start somewhere.

Forum Member

Is what you're doing currently any better than working on an ambulance ?

Forum Member

No its not. Thanks guys! Ill pursue it

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Quote Originally Posted by CFfirefighterEMT7 View Post
    Today I got a call back from a non-emergency transport company to work as an EMT on an ambulance. Does that honestly bolster my chances of getting hired with the Fire Department? I respectfully don't want to waste this company's time considering me if it doesn't. I know of some of my academymates who used this as a stepping stone for their fire careers, but don't know if that really helped them get hired. I have no other fire or EMS experience. Any help would be appreciated.
    Wow......... I'm almost not sure where to start.... I guess first: Where are you? there are 100,000 way to do (or not do) things to get hired depending on where you live in America. I am a Chief Officer in Maryland, and here, whatever you are doing now has no bearing on getting hired. Our hiring is all done by the County's Personnel office, the Fire Dept has no part in it. You Apply, if your application looks good, you are subjected to a Background Check. If that is clean, then You take a test, if you score high enough, you are called for a physical. From all those steps, a list is created, and people are hired from that list. If you have Maryland and/or National Registry EMT, you are ahead of the game slightly because those who are EMTs get out of the Academy earlier and get to work in stations...... Any previous Experience as a firefighter is helpful, but only slightly. The Laws in this part of the country vary a bit, but you do have to be a member of a Fire Department, Volunteer or paid, to be eligible to take any kind of Training. ALL Training is done thru Fire Training Academies that are run by Counties or the State. If you get hired here, you WILL go thru the Academy that is used by the FD that hired you. We do not allow Colleges or Privately run Training Academies to operate here, an Academy must be part of a Fire Department, and they must teach to NBFSPQ standards........

Thread Information