Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Drax
  • 1 Post By FWDbuff

Thread: Getting out of the military to become a firefighter

Forum Member

Default Getting out of the military to become a firefighter

My name is Tyler and I am serving a six year enlistment in the military. I'm currently in second year, but I really would like to get out after this enlistment to become a firefighter. Would it help if I got a degree in fire science and my emt while I'm in te military? Is there anything I can do while I'm in to better my chances of getting the job when I get out?

Forum Member

You need to check into the hiring requirements of where you would like to get hired. Do you have a Department, City, or geographic region in mind? Do you want to go with a Municipal, Federal or Private Fire Department?

Some Cities have ZERO hiring requirements. ZERO. City of Philadelphia for example. No requirements other than a clean bill of health, no drugs in your system and no criminal record. You will get 10 points added onto your civil service exam score for being an honorably discharged vet.

FDNY- there is a college credit requirement, I forget how many, but it can be in anything- does not have to be fire related.

Many departments west and south require you to have a Paramedic ticket for whichever state they are located in (or national registry.) You usually also have to have other certs such as Firefighter I, II and a few others.

Again, you need to check into where you want to get hired. Certainly getting fire science wouldnt hurt, but I think I would concentrate on getting certified as a firefighter and EMT or Paramedic first, because that is what will get you hired south and west. Fire Science or Fire Service Administration will get you promoted.

Forum Member

You're a veteran. Most places will literally roll a red carpet for you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NJFirefighter311 View Post
    Please private message me these "places" that "literally roll a red carpet for you"
    ABRU0514 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NJFirefighter311 View Post
    Really? Can you please explain this to me? How does this work, and where are these places located?
    ABRU0514 likes this.

Forum Member

Bs on rolling the red carpet. If I were you I would get your fire science. I got mine from using TA and it got me an extra 1200$ a year plus if you want to be an officer in the fire service most depts require college education of some sorts. Also take every class that you can possibly take in the mil. I mean everything!!! Fwdbuff is right, do research on what dept or state you want to be firefighter in. FL for example requires you to be emt and firefighter qualified before you can apply. Some places you even have to be a medic. Here in GA that isnt the case. Most depts up here don't transport so emt isnt required. I would be more worried about the military first because if you F up there nobody will hire you, and that includes no ARIs!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tylebyrd View Post
    My name is Tyler and I am serving a six year enlistment in the military. I'm currently in second year, but I really would like to get out after this enlistment to become a firefighter. Would it help if I got a degree in fire science and my emt while I'm in te military? Is there anything I can do while I'm in to better my chances of getting the job when I get out?
    I highly recommend you get a degree in fire science. I'd also recommend you do as much volunteer work as you can (I.E. volunteer at school, homeless shelters). Not everyone is going to care that you volunteer, but you might just find that chief's soft spot when you tell him you've volunteered to tutor kiddos.

If you're feeling adventurous, when you hit your last duty station, I recommend about 6-4 months before you get out of the service, that you begin EMT school.

Good luck buddy, thank you for your service.

Thread Information