Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How many calls is your department running yearly?

Forum Member

Default How many calls is your department running yearly?

Hey guys, another thread on here about challenges in the volunteer fire service face made me think of this question. Quite a few people mentioned that a big problem in their department is a lack of calls.

So I'd like to know- How many calls does your department get?

If your department runs medical please break it down in the following format-

I'll go first

Fires/MVAs/etc- 100 or less
    Medical- 0

Let's talk fire trucks!

Rounding up or down for good measure:

Volunteer agency:
    Medicals - 275 (first responder only, no transport)
    Everything else - 300

Work:
    Medicals - 31,000
    Everything else - 10,000
    Last edited by BoxAlarm187; 12-26-2014 at 12:36 AM.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

I'm on two departments. One is 3.9 miles from my house; the other 6 blocks from my office. Neither runs any EMS. (Thank God)

Home: <100
    Office: <400
    HBofCJ likes this.

Forum Member

We run 140-170 per year with around 30 EMS (assists; we don't transport). Roughly 15-20 structure fires, 40-50 MVC's, and quite a few helicopter landings.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Think we are currently sitting at 298. No EMS, that is handled by separate agency and they average about 1500 runs a year.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Approximately 1700 calls last year. 65% medical, 20% MVA (Cover 2 interstates and a major US highway) and the rest fire-related (alarms, brush fires, structure fires, gas related emergencies).
    Last edited by FFEMT2159; 12-29-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Forum Member

~60 Calls annually.

50% Fire/Rescue, etc. (maybe 10% actual fires)
    50% EMS (We are non-transport BLS)

MembersZone Subscriber

We're over 100 calls most years now, about 40% or so EMS, a fair number automatic mutual aid (and far too many "cancelled enroutes"). A new mutual aid arrangement may well push us over 150 calls this year.

Forum Member

On average, probably somewhere between 50 and 60. Over half of the calls are generally wildfires. The other half are generally traffic/hunting accidents, with a few oilfield fires and maybe one or two structure fires.

The past two years have been very quiet, as almost all of the rangeland around here has burned or been killed off by the drought.

Forum Member

I think we are around 258 for the year at this point. Both fire and EMS and the occasional "service" call. I don't know what that breakdown is though, but typically in the 60% range for EMS. Last year I think we were a bit over 280 runs for the year and the year before I believe was 305. Usually 2-3 full-blown structure fires per year for us, and several others that we will respond mutual aid for.

MembersZone Subscriber

We will end up with about 2100 calls for the year. Approximately 75% of those are EMS, the rest fire/rescue.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

POC FD #1 averages about 50 runs per year, no EMS other than lift assists. This year has been MUCH slower. POC FD #2 averages just over 150 runs per year, no EMS other than lift assists and as drivers for the ambulance. My former career FD ran about 5,000 runs per year with about 80 percent EMS. ALS service with engines and ladders most often staffed with EMTs although with enough paramedics on duty the rigs became paramedic first responder rigs.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

We average about 225 normally. This year we are at 259, which is a new record for us.That's no medical/ems all fire/rescue.
    Last edited by Wbensm; 01-04-2015 at 02:53 AM.

Forum Member

Primarily Volunteer Combination Department (8 Career & 80 Volunteer) ........ 1700 w/EMS (About 65% EMS exclusive of MVAs)
    All Volunteer Department .................................................. ...................... 100 w/out EMS

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Think we are currently sitting at 298. No EMS, that is handled by separate agency and they average about 1500 runs a year.
    Now at 301. And # 301 was dispatched as confirmed structure fire. Turned out to be some siding on a deck, taken care of with a can. That's my kind of structure fire!
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Val Dept. around 500 calls. About 300 being EMS (BLS) with Fire having the rest. A lot of grass being grass fires (with area being rural) and MVAs. We are lucky to have 5 Structure fires a year.

MembersZone Subscriber

OK, now that the year is over and I have some totals:

Total Calls: 130
    EMS: 41

That leaves 89 "everything else" (MVAs, vehicle fires, grass/brush, trees/wires down, pump details, etc) of which about 30 were automatic aid dispatches to a neighboring department for which we were cancelled, sometimes before we rolled.

We had no structure fires at all in our first-due last year (which just jinxed us for this year), but responded on 11 outside our district.

Forum Member

Saw a post on FB; my old department in IN ran around 1110 runs in 2014 (combined fire/EMS response, no transport), beating the old record of 900. As I recall, in the year 2001 we topped the average of one per day, and in 2002 I think they broke 400 runs for the year....

1100 runs and they are still all volly!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    We had no structure fires at all in our first-due last year (which just jinxed us for this year), but responded on 11 outside our district.
    It will be 3 years next week since we have had a structure fire in our 60 square mile first-due. Like tree68, we have responded to several outside our district as auto/mutual aid. That is definitely our biggest challenge, it's very hard to keep people interested when we never get to put our training to use.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF715MRFD View Post
    It will be 3 years next week since we have had a structure fire in our 60 square mile first-due. Like tree68, we have responded to several outside our district as auto/mutual aid. That is definitely our biggest challenge, it's very hard to keep people interested when we never get to put our training to use.
    fully agree with that.

My VFD might run 1-2 structure fires in a typical year, and it not only makes retaining members a challenge but it also creates a heck of problem when it comes to developing the experience factor.

Forum Member

100 square mile fire district centered around a town of 500

MVA/Fire: About 25-30
    Medical: Unrecorded (EMR level response) probably 50-60ish, don't know because we don't fill out any paperwork or reports for those.

Forum Member

Average about 200 with 135 medical.
    Structure fires that we have personnel go in on averages about 6 a year (5 will be mutual aid)

MembersZone Subscriber

The structure fire "issue" is a bit of a conundrum for the fire service, especially in rural areas.

It's great that our friends and neighbors aren't suffering the losses a fire brings.

But it makes it hard to motivate one's members to train if they rarely get to use the skills they practice. And usually, our neighbors are in the same boat.

Not everyone is interested in EMS - and some aren't cut out to be in it, either.

Unfortunately the lack of practice and experience also shows when we do get that "big one," as our reaction is usually exactly that - and all too often it's too little, too late.
    FF715MRFD likes this.

Forum Member

In my little corner of NYC the chiefs did the following:

Total about 2200 runs.

Structural Runs=500
    This includes food on stove, rubbish inside, oil burner fires, dryer fires, etc. in addition to building fires.

Emergency Runs=1500
    No EMS; chiefs don't respond for it.

Other=200

Of the 500 structural runs, 140 of them were all hands (minimum 2 hand lines required) or better for working building fires.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

firedwight, I don't know why you wouldn't fill out reports for EMR calls. In Illiinois, we're told to do a NFIRS report for everything we go on. It shows what we do which is more than just a fire now and then. We do about 180 calls a year, about 120 of them EMR, no transport.

Thread Information