Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FyredUp

Thread: Burned or unburned side?

Forum Member

Default Burned or unburned side?

I was reading something that I stumbled across today titled attacking from the burned side can save lives. It went on to list a few scenarios, all and all it was a good article.
    What really surprised me was some of the responses, most were scathing. I never knew that some departments were almost dead set against this tactic. While I know that getting a line between victims and the fire is important, Sometimes it just makes sense to attack straight into the fire with sufficient GPM to put the damn thing out.

What do you guys think?

By the way it's nice to be back
    Last edited by L-Webb; 01-01-2015 at 07:52 PM. Reason: I'm a dummy
    Get the first line into operation.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I have always though that each situation dictated the best approach. In other words if the fastest hit on the fire was to hit is head on from the burned side then do it, if it was easier and faster to come from the unburned side then do that.

The entire thought process has been kind of tossed on its ear with the NIST/UL/FDNY studies showing an initial exterior attack can cool the interior making it more survivable, without pushing the fire throughout the structure. Honestly if we can give it a quick shot from outside, cool the interior and knock the fire back, and then enter and kill the fire while making it more survivable why wouldn't we do that?

Welcome back! Let's light some fires here and get this forum back up and rocking!!
    The52nd likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

With residential fires we're definitely geared toward the front door/line between the fire and victims or means of egress. In over two decades, I cannot remember a single time it was determined that another approach was necessary to ensure unburned to burned. I'm of the opinion that the unburned to burned theory was necessary when the attack utilized underpower 95 gpm fog nozzles on wide fog to "push the fire out of the building". Today we overcome the BTU's using proper GPM, utilizing a straight or solid stream and do not push the fire.

I just don't see the advantage of slowing getting water on the fire to attack from another entrance? In our area this might require stretching through a locked fence, unshoveled area in the winter and a host of other challenges that normally aren't impediments to the front entrance. That said, there's still a fair number of places where enclosed porches are not used in the winter requiring us to find the primary entrance/egress path used by the occupants. But that is always the driving factor, what is the mostly likely path of travel of the occupants and how can we get between them and the fire or the interior stairs and the fire. As Fyred-up noted about the NIST/UL studies, we're confirming a solid basis for fast water on the fire making everything better.

Forum Member

Add another vote for "attack the fire in an orderly and efficient military manner applying enough GPM in a rapid fashion" (using a smoothbore nozzle) and all the other crap theories go down the toilet.

Additionally, we have been using CAFS since 2007 (smoothbores even before that.) Several surrounding departments were using CAFS before us. And I gotta tell you- when you do it right, the knockdown power is truly breathtaking. And for all the non-believers out there, trust me. I myself had to be dragged (kicking and screaming) into the CAFS frame of mind. However we should never, ever lose our proficiency with straight h2o.

As has been stated numerous times before- You hit it hard, hit it fast in the seat of its pants, most of your problems go away just as fast as you hit it. Train, train and train.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Add another vote for "attack the fire in an orderly and efficient military manner applying enough GPM in a rapid fashion" (using a smoothbore nozzle) and all the other crap theories go down the toilet.

I agree with everything you said with perhaps the exception that the smoothbore is the only answer.

Additionally, we have been using CAFS since 2007 (smoothbores even before that.) Several surrounding departments were using CAFS before us. And I gotta tell you- when you do it right, the knockdown power is truly breathtaking. And for all the non-believers out there, trust me. I myself had to be dragged (kicking and screaming) into the CAFS frame of mind. However we should never, ever lose our proficiency with straight h2o.

I am not sure this is the end all be all. I agree in certain circumstances it could be a good idea. But the counter to that is the cost that puts it out of reach for many departments.

As has been stated numerous times before- You hit it hard, hit it fast in the seat of its pants, most of your problems go away just as fast as you hit it. Train, train and train.

Agreed.
    We use Class A foam on every interior structure fire attack. We use it initially at .3% but can bump it up to make shaving cream if we desire.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I can't speak to the structural foam firefighting as I have zero experience with it.

From what I see on various internet sites, the biggest firefighting challenge faced is getting SUFFICIENT water on the fire. It doesn't much matter which side you attack from if your stream is inadequate. I see it over and over again. A **** pour stream is used to hit the fire and then there is a withdrawal of members from the structure. What other outcome could there possibly be? I wash my car with more water than some of these guys are using. What gives?

For your typical house fire, it's hard to go wrong by taking the line (with a good steam) through the front door with a possible transitional attack when appropriate.

Forum Member

Fyred I absolutely agree with your counter points. No never intended to mean that CAFS is the absolute saveall. Nothing more than another tool (that works pretty well) in the toolbox- and also why I said never lose proficiency with straight water.

And yes, you are also 100% correct that the cost is way out of reach for many smaller shops. IIRC the Waterous Pneumax system we have I think ran in the neighborhood of $32,000 and change. We have almost all of the discharges plumbed (including the deluge gun and one of the 2.5" discharges) and we can also use the compressor for large-capacity air tools if we need to.

Not going down the smoothbore road!!! LOL

Forum Member

For residential, nearly always through the front for a myriad of reasons....

Commercial - closest, easiest to the fire.

Forum Member

For us, the goal is to get water on the fire as fast as possible when we get on scene using whatever method we need to (direct attack, transitional, blitz, etc..) We will typically use the front door on an in town fire since we're on the street. On a rural fire a lot of times we use a side door or back door since most of the time that's what the residents use and most of the time the best place to set up is beside or behind the house.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are times and situations that support both attacks. I really like the SLICE-RS method of attack.

Thread Information