Forum Member

Default Olympia Hiring 2015 - Bates Testing

Does anyone know how many Olympia takes to their academy?

Forum Member

I don't think they do their own academy since the test is for all of Bremerton, South King, South Kitsap and Olympia fire departments. Also, to my understanding, the Bates test is yearly and it is pulled from when needed. The test happening doesn't necessary mean openings.

Forum Member

Olympia sends to Bates Academy.

They also just hired 5, so I'm not so sure they'll be hiring any off this upcoming list.

I would be shocked if any of the departments hired this year or from this list. Nebo, you are 100% correct. Nor will Bates advertise if there were any openings or respond to any inquiries. The departments sometimes respond.
    Last edited by Drax; 01-05-2015 at 01:57 AM. Reason: grammar

Forum Member

I've posted this to the last Bate's test thread but here it is again:
    http://olympiawa.gov/city-services/f...ire-employment

Forum Member

Thanks for the responses. I am flying from California so I want to make sure its worth it. Do you suggest calling the departments and inquiring on open positions? I looked at Olympias Budget and it did not mention more money for future FF.

Also why do they send them to Bates if they have a state of the art Academy?

Forum Member

I highly suggest calling each department on the list you're planning on testing for.

95.56% + Veteran's Preference wasn't good enough to get any calls last year.

Olympia: Took 25 to oral boards and hired 5. If I had to guess, next time they're gonna be hiring is 2016.
    Bremerton: They have struggled financially over the past few years. I don't think they have a budget that can accommodate any more firefighters.
    South King: May or may not hire this year, I think they're pretty lateral oriented. I last heard they like to pick up laid off firefighters. They were also on another testing website, may not be anymore though.
    South Kitsap: Not sure.

Olympia was the only department to hire from the Bate's test that I am aware of last year. With the cost of $75 + $119, I'm debating whether or not it is worth it and I'm local.

Also, Olympia does not have a state of the art Academy. They have the Mark Noble Regional Training Center. The only accredited academy in Thurston County is the Thurston Fire Training Consortium, which from my understanding only really has volunteers go through it.

Forum Member

Drax thanks so much for the information. I will be calling the departments then taking your advice from there. I wish they would just put more inforamtion up so people can make a better decesion. For all of us that are in the process it can get very costly.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dtower View Post
    Drax thanks so much for the information. I will be calling the departments then taking your advice from there. I wish they would just put more inforamtion up so people can make a better decesion. For all of us that are in the process it can get very costly.
    Why would a business share information that would effectively make them lose money?

Thread Information