Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fire5555

Thread: Future Employment?

Forum Member

Question Future Employment?

Ok, I'm sorry to bother you guys and this has probably been asked before, Just I have anxiety about my future

Eventually when I graduate from High School, I want to get a job in the Fire Service, Preferably on the St. Louis Fire Department (I Love the city, there tactics, equipment/apparatus, Approach, and I have relatives down there). When I Graduate, and I know this is a s**t plan, but, I want to get my EMT-IA from my high school college class I can take, then I want to attend Kirkwood Community College for Firefighter Basics while on my local volunteer fire department, and then move to the University of Eastern Kentucky and take Advanced Fire and Emergency services classes; Hopefully Being able to join St. Louis Fire. I also am going to be Interning for my father at University of Iowa Fire Safety.

Is This a Good plan, A Horrible one, or what. and can you tell me what road's you would or wouldn't take
    “What is most admirable about firefighters, is there reliability. When they are called, they come”
    ― Dennis Smith

Forum Member

good and bad

If ultimate goal is to be a firefighter, get what a Missouri state or any city in Missouri requires just to apply.

Once you have whatever is required to apply, start applyiing and testing,,,,,, anywhere and everywhere

do not limit yourself to one dept, or you may never get hired.

You can always hire on to one dept put in a year or two and than start testing for other or dream dept, or you may stay where you are at because you like it.

once hired than work on your education, plenty of online courses and shift exchanges so you can attend college. It is always good to have a second carreer as a back up
    Last edited by fire5555; 01-15-2015 at 09:10 PM.
    HBofCJ likes this.

Forum Member

You are very young and have a dream. That is very good. Most individuals your age do not. It is easy with no life experience, (yet) to perhaps consider the cart before the horse. No disrespect intended or implied. Where in our great nation would you like to live? To move to, get established, find a life mate, raise a family, become middle aged, move on to another line of work, get old, so on, so on? Some people find where they live to be more important than what they do.

What I did wrong was hiring on with the first calling great fire agency in a small, not so great town. Bakersfield Fire Department in the central valley of CA. ISO Class 1 then. Kinda like St Louis? Lots of people would not want to live there. I wanted to be a FF in a great outfit. So I did. Maybe I got things backwards. Lots of people where I LIVE NOW just pump gas because they want to live here in SW OR USA. About 43N, 123W, kinda. Maybe I did things backwards at first.

If you wanna be a FF, how about first sitting down, look at a big USA map and have fun dreaming where you would like to live. No matter where you go, there you are ... you bring it with you. First figure out where you want to be. Makes a big big difference. Also expect that your dreams, desires and outlooks will change as you age. Normal and healthy. What town and agency that works now may not be so good after 15 to 20 years ... AFTER you are locked into that place.

Start making a long list of fire agencies you would be happy working for. A big list. A hint ... usually speaking, the larger the agency the better. Not always, but usually. Do not leave out State, Federal , County or Special District outfits also. Make that list, then make contact with those fire agencies. Some will have residency requirements. Some will be bad outfits. But most ... IF THEY ARE WHERE YOU WANT TO LIVE ... will be just fine. Then start applying.

This process will take years. Meanwhile, get educated. Get that AS degree in Fire Science. Get the other stuff like an EMT 2 or B rating. Consider going on and getting that Paramedic license. Keep banging away at the education. Future Fire Service career jobs are going to be very hard to find. The future economy may not be that great. But some agencies will continue to hire new people. Do not give up. Keep trying. Also ... like already said before me ... have a fall back.

Consider the second and third choice other than being a firefighter. Nowadays it is easier to become a USN SEAL than it is to get hired on with a good large fire agency. Yep! What else would you like to do? Teaching? How about career military? Public Service? All honorable. Meanwhile, while you are doing something else, keep trying to become a FF. If you want it bad enough, things will have a way of coming together. They did for me. Hope this helps some.

Edited by HB 18 Jan. I asked around and for the last 10 years or so, over 50% of the guys hired for the BFD have BA or BS degrees. Also the BFD requires a current State of CA FF One academy diploma, a current CA EMT 1 card and a valid drivers license and be at least 18 years old upon RE ENTRY to a 18 week demanding additional Fire Academy. They also have many Paramedics although the BFD right now does not run ALM EMS. Heavy requirements indeed.

HB of CJ (old coot) retarded FF, PM, RN, now old
    Last edited by HBofCJ; 01-18-2015 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Added information and one paragraph.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by IowaFFMcAvoy View Post
    Ok, I'm sorry to bother you guys and this has probably been asked before, Just I have anxiety about my future

Eventually when I graduate from High School, I want to get a job in the Fire Service, Preferably on the St. Louis Fire Department (I Love the city, there tactics, equipment/apparatus, Approach, and I have relatives down there). When I Graduate, and I know this is a s**t plan, but, I want to get my EMT-IA from my high school college class I can take, then I want to attend Kirkwood Community College for Firefighter Basics while on my local volunteer fire department, and then move to the University of Eastern Kentucky and take Advanced Fire and Emergency services classes; Hopefully Being able to join St. Louis Fire. I also am going to be Interning for my father at University of Iowa Fire Safety.

Is This a Good plan, A Horrible one, or what. and can you tell me what road's you would or wouldn't take
    Seems like a good well thought out plan. If St Louis is where you want to be find out what their requirements are.

Sometimes getting a fire job is tough, sometimes it doesn't happen. You are young and have time on your side. Good luck.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

All good advise from the posts above. The way i see it going in my Department a single function Emt/fire Fighter is going to be a thing of the past. Although I think its wrong, they are going to Fire Fighter/ Paramedics, its cheaper than single function medics.

Get your EMT and ride a BLS rescue for a while, Lot's of paramedic schools require that first. Then get your paramedic cert. When you apply to a Department and your already a paramedic, you have just saved the city a mess of cash.

Another IMPORTANT thing is keep your financial history CLEAN...If you have bad credit dont even bother applying for LAFD, im sure lot's of other dept's are the same. Do some volunteer work at food banks, animal shelters, hospitals..it will look good in an interview.

MembersZone Subscriber

STL is hiring now. Pay close attention to the process, learn from it. FFI and II? You can get it in Missouri for free - and STL will make you go through their academy anyways.

Why UK?

Thread Information