Forum Member

Default Grand Rapids Fire Department 2015 Hiring process Grand Rapids, Michigan

The Grand Rapids Fire Department is opening the hiring process for 10 Firefighters to be hired.
    No certifications are required to apply.
    I will post a link to the job application.

The GRFD page on the city website has not been updated yet. Please look at it for basic info on the department and the hiring process.
    The salary ranges are also in need of being updated. Our contract is in arbitration to be settled by spring.
    Pay increases have been agreed upon. 4.5% increase from what listed as well as other increases of 2% to 5.5% based on the arbitration award. If you would like details message me.

The department should be hiring 10 people or more each year for the next couple of years as we have a very large amount of firefighters about to retire.

We are represented by IAFF Local 366. Check out the Grand Rapids Professional Firefighters Local 366 Facebook page for more information.
    Job Announcement from Human Resources:
    Please post the following Entrance, Promotional and/or Transfer opportunities for those without access to Outlook. The full posting(s) can be downloaded and printed by clicking on the following link(s):
    Firefighter - Salary Range (Salary Range 01B)
    All Transfer requests must be received in the Human Resources office by 5:00 PM on the deadline date (2/16/2015).

Please visit our website at www.grcity.us for information on each position and how to file application. Please note that all applications must be submitted online by the closing date as listed for each position posted on our website and on the official board in the Human Resources Department, City Hall Room 880, 300 Monroe Ave NW, Grand Rapids MI 49503.
    Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at (616) 456-3176

Start Time
    1/16/2015 4:00 PM
    End Time
    2/16/2015 5:00 PM

Salary: $18.95 - $28.95 Hourly
    $39,417.00 - $60,221.00 Annually
    Step increase annually for the first 5 years to max out at top FF wage

We Offer:

Paid Sick Leave/Vacation
    Tuition Reimbursement
    Extra Pay for College Incentive
    Pension Plan
    Continuing Career Training and Education
    Attractive Work Schedule
    Job Security
    We are represented by Local 366 of the International Association of Fire Fighters (AFL-CIO).
    Salary
    Fire Fighter Wages as of 2010
    B - $39,417
    C - $46,156
    D - $49,691
    E - $53,246
    F - $60,221

Comprehensive Insurance Packages
    We provide Group Hospital, Medical, Surgical, Dental and Optical insurance for employees, spouse and dependents.
    Paid Sick Leave/Vacation

You accumulate 6 per year which you can carry over year to year for an unlimited amount.
    Vacation for every:
    1 - 10 years of service - 6 work days per year
    10 - 15 years of service - 9 work days per year
    15 + years of service - 12 work days per year
    College Credit Incentive

If you have completed 30 hours of college credits approved by management you are paid $200 per year in addition to your annual salary. If you have completed 60 hours, you receive $400.
    Pension Plan

The Grand Rapids Fire Department maintains an employee/management contribution pension which has a 25 year cap.
    Career Training and Education

We provide our own Fire Academy. A new employee attends the Fire Academy for 16 - 18 weeks, and graduates with Fire Fighter I and II certifications. You will also be trained to meet certifications and standards established or requested by the national, state, or local fire department levels.
    Attractive Work Schedule

Our work schedule is based on a 24 hour shift from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. the next day. You work one day on - one day off - one day on - one day off - one day on - four days off. You are also given one extra day off per month.

Forum Member

Thanks for the heads-up. Do you have any idea when the written exam will be? And any info on dates for the physical (is it the CPAT?) and interviews?

Forum Member

You will receive an email after the application period is closed announcing the test date and time. Most likely you will take the test at the Devos Convention Center based on prior test locations. All dates for specific parts of the process will be communicated through email.
    The agility test is not the CPAT. It is specific to the department. View the department page on the city website, and you can watch a video explaining and demonstrating the agility test.
    This process should move rather quickly based on the number of retirements occurring this year. We are short staffed. My guess is you will have job offers by summer to early fall.

Forum Member

Why are there so many people retiring? Just that time? Have you guys not hired in awhile?

Forum Member

Last class hired was 2011. The department finished up grant funding as they transitioned through the economic downturn. The city is growing at record pace with new high rise construction and new businesses building all over the city. The department hired a large groups of firefighters in 84 , 85 . Many of those are coming up on leaving. Approx 40'have retired since 2011. We have upwards of20 to 30 more that can retire or will retire anytime in the next two years. 11 for sure are retiring this year alone. The department should be hiring every year for the next couple of years to replace the firefighters. All new positions will be full time positions from the department budget. No temporary grant funding is being used.

Forum Member

The class size for this first group to be hired is being discussed to possibly increase the number to 15 I have heard from a few people involved in the details of this process.
    Also I have been hearing discussion of there being two classes hired this year. One as soon as possible, and the other to possibly start in the fall. I will post further as more information becomes available.

Forum Member

Word is first class hired from this test will be June 8th 2015.
    They are looking at hiring two classes from this list with the second class if approved to begin in January 2016.
    Pushing for 25 off this list to keep pace with retirements.

Forum Member

How many applicants does GRFD usually receive? I'm thinking of applying, but it kind of depends on the odds! I'd love to work there, but Grand Rapids is about a 19hr trip one way! I know the odds are zero if I don't apply,but sometimes you have to view things from a financial aspect. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 8truckie3 View Post
    How many applicants does GRFD usually receive? I'm thinking of applying, but it kind of depends on the odds! I'd love to work there, but Grand Rapids is about a 19hr trip one way! I know the odds are zero if I don't apply,but sometimes you have to view things from a financial aspect. Thanks in advance for any replies!
    900 to 1000 last time to fill 13 spots. this was for an exam that required FF 1 & 2 .It seems that at least two classes will be hired from this exam, and maybe more as they many more positions are going to open as the flood gates open with retirees.
    This exam is open to the general public so I would expect maybe double from the last test . If you test well on these types of exams and have really prepared yourself to interview you have a good shot to make it.

Forum Member

Less than 800 applications so far.
    Written exam March 2nd . You will receive email confirming 2/19/15

Forum Member

Sounds Great!!!! I was wondering if GR has hosted a Fire Academy since they last hired, and if they will draw directly from former students of said academy...? I think I heard they ran one back in 2013 but not sure. Just wondering if paying the money to go through their school will be worth it in the future since they seem to be in a hiring phase, and if going through their academy will boast any advantages during hiring time?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brian_smith View Post
    Sounds Great!!!! I was wondering if GR has hosted a Fire Academy since they last hired, and if they will draw directly from former students of said academy...? I think I heard they ran one back in 2013 but not sure. Just wondering if paying the money to go through their school will be worth it in the future since they seem to be in a hiring phase, and if going through their academy will boast any advantages during hiring time?
    They have had 5 academies since they last hired in 2011. One as recent as a few months ago. Not everyone who goes through the academy is suitable to be hired based on any number of reasons. Skill, background checks, all come into play.
    Going through the academy gives you no advantage in the hiring process. If the department was only hiring certified candidates then you might be at an advantage . However the hiring that is taking place is open to the general public requiring no certifications. The academy is a good way to get certified to make yourself a better candidate in the interview process for any department.
    However, for this process it does not give you any advantage. Everyone has the same chance based on the test, agility and interview process.

Forum Member

1. Does GRFD give any preference to paramedic's?
    2. Does anyone know who the testing company is administering the written?

Thank you for any info in advance.

Forum Member

Medic may help if you interview well. You are not awarded additional points to your written test score. Written test scores separate a lot of the candidates and you can make up ground with experience and certifications, but if you are terrible in the oral board and chief's interview it may not help.
    The civil service exam the city gives I do not believe is outsourced.

Forum Member

That makes sense for the most part... but it seems like they would hold the training they provided at a higher level since they can be more confident with what the candidates/students learned, and what standards they were taught. Also from what I read on the flyer from the cities website, their academy goes above and beyond (about Tripple) the states required hours of training. It just seems like if you do well on the written, and physical testing, the oral interviewers would see it as a positive thing to have on a resume...that is that you successfully completed their cities academy, since I assume you would be being interviewed by Grand Rapids Firefighters, and that they could be confident in your training background. I think I will look into their next academy, but will give it a shot at applying this round of hiring. Any information about the written testing would be helpfull. Thanks.

Forum Member

Application deadline is now 02/23/15
    Test is 03/02/15.

Forum Member

It does look nice on a resume . However it doesn't guarantee a job. Your resume may be great, but if you wrote a poor test, squeak by the agility, and interview poorly your resume doesn't carry a lot of weight .

Forum Member

Why did they extend the application deadline ?

Forum Member

I agree that all trials of the hiring process will be equally important. I can't wait to give it a shot! I don't think I can beat out someone with firefighter certs, and medical qualifications. All I have is a CPR card, but I will show up and do my best. Like you said, everyone has an equal shot. I will definitely look into GR's academy. Do you know anything about their academy that could attest to the positive things I have read about it? Would it be worth it in your opinion? Not from a hiring standpoint, but a quality of training aspect. Plus having GRFD instructors/firefighters in your classroom teaching you, seems like a priceless amount of skill and experience. Thank you for all you have already answered.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brian_smith View Post
    I agree that all trials of the hiring process will be equally important. I can't wait to give it a shot! I don't think I can beat out someone with firefighter certs, and medical qualifications. All I have is a CPR card, but I will show up and do my best. Like you said, everyone has an equal shot. I will definitely look into GR's academy. Do you know anything about their academy that could attest to the positive things I have read about it? Would it be worth it in your opinion? Not from a hiring standpoint, but a quality of training aspect. Plus having GRFD instructors/firefighters in your classroom teaching you, seems like a priceless amount of skill and experience. Thank you for all you have already answered.
    Yes. I went through it to get my certifications when I came to Michigan. Michigan doesn't except FF I & II certifications from other states.
    The training is very good. You leave being well prepared ,and are more than ready to seek employment as a career firefighter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFighter_28 View Post
    Why did they extend the application deadline ?
    Not sure. Possibly to boost the hiring pool. Last count I heard there were around 850 applications submitted so far. I would imagine HR and admin expected more by this point, so they extended the deadline by a week. The exam date has not changed.

Forum Member

Any ideas for what to expect on the written testing? Is it going to be multiple choice? If you have any information on the material on the civil service test that would be great, never taken one and not sure what to expect.

Forum Member

Multiple choice general aptitude tests and situational questions.

Forum Member

Any idea on how many questions, and how the test will be graded? Will it be a set score you have to reach to move on, or will it depend on how everyone does on the test to determine your score? Is there an age limit? Are there any residency requirements?

Forum Member

Number of test questions can vary. Minimum 100. No maximum age requirement. No residency requirement.
    The test is graded based on number of questions correct divided by the number of total questions. HR will determine what the cut off test score is to move forward to the agility. You will be given the determined cut off score and your results by email.
    Last edited by SRT407; 02-16-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Thread Information