Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Shenff
  • 1 Post By fire5555
  • 1 Post By HBofCJ

Thread: Advice for Getting on a Career department.

Forum Member

Default Advice for Getting on a Career department.

So As of right now I am fire 1 Haz-mat ops and soon to be emtb. Im on a volunteer department for now and have been for over a year, and soon as i can get back into shape im shipping off for the army fire fighter job and soon after that ill be getting some pre reqs for paramedic then im off to the paramedic program so besides the obvious like fire science degree and fire 2 does anyone have any suggestions on Getting on a career dept. I would literally do anything to get on sounds kinda pathetic sure, but out of all the things in my life ive tried, I have finally found what I want to do for the rest of my life.
    HBofCJ likes this.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Don't worry with a fire science degree. You can't use it for anything outside of the fire service, which is important in case it takes you a while to get hired, or in case you get hurt on the job and can't continue in the fire service any longer.

Depending on where you apply or want to work, some departments could care less about your previous fire service training as well. For example, in my area, you could come to us with zero training or Firefighter 9 - doesn't matter, you're going to go through the entire recruit school.

Best advice? Don't do drugs, don't get a DUI, keep you nose clean, test well, and interview well.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

so why do you want to join the army??

And how do you know you will get a firefighter job in the Army??

why not try for civilian dept???

plus if you join the Army, you will be four or five years behind in testing for depts.

as stated already you need to decide which state you want to live in. Check state and different city depts. just to see what certs if any you need to just put in an application to test. Get those certs, some depts. are requiring a minimum amount of college hours.

Check this site for some info

http://www.eatstress.com/faq.htm
    HBofCJ likes this.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Another firefighter that knew what he wanted

Shenff, as a teenager I knew I wanted to be a firefighter. I joined my municipality's combination department as a volunteer the day that I reached the minimum age of 18. At the age of 21 I knew I wanted to be a career firefighter. I went to an Air Force recruiter and was given a guarantee that if I wasn't placed as a firefighter within 6 months of joining, I could request an honorable discharge. I served 8 years as both a structural and crash, fire, rescue (CFR) firefighter. Not long after I got out, a career position opened up in my hometown. I scored 108 points on the Civil Service test, because even though it was only a 100 point test, I received an additional 10 points because of my military service. I am retired now, but I can look back at 42 years as both a volunteer and career firefighter. Keep your eyes on the goal and don't give up. I belong to the USAF Firedogs Facebook group (USAFFdogs) and there are job postings on there just about everyday for guys getting out of the USAF looking to stay a career firefighter.

Forum Member

Several different points of view from me. Only me. Others will not agree which is good. You have a dream. You have a goal. Both good. Back in the day of the Vietnam War wind down, some fire outfits gave bonus points to vets. My Dept then gave more points for combat vets. Very rare today. You MIGHT NOT need the military service. Always admirable and honorable, but necessary today? Was then. May not be nowadays? Just me. Non consider the military?

I kinda got the cart before the horse. Got out and started taking FD tests for excellent FDs in CA only. Mistake. I focused on the agency, not the town or region. First agency who called me up after about 1 year and over 12 tests (hay day of hiring, 1971-2) was Bakersfield Ca. Great ISO Class One Dire Department. Horrible town. I choose to stay even though San Francisco also called me up. I was very young then. Loved the "City" (SF). I hate big towns now.

Some advice. Get a big glass of de caf iced tea and a big USA map and sit down and dream a bit. Where would you like to live? You have before you a great unpainted canvas. Paint your masterpiece. Where would you like to LIVE, find a life mate, marry, settle down, raise a family? Get middle aged. Retire. Perhaps stay around or relocate like I did? Helpful hint. What you do for a living is not that important as you age. Life style and where you live is more important.

So much to consider on deciding where to live. Jobs, pay rates, land prices , home expense, real estate, taxes, zoning, state and local laws, POLITICAL ENVIRONMENT, schools, ISO ratings, law enforcement, climate, UTILITIES, weather, the future, local conditions, etc, etc.. Very long and involved lists of things to consider. Close recreation spots, future job prospects, colleges, retirement facilities, food costs, more taxes. You get the idea. I got the cart before the horse.

Pick out 20-50 good spots and start making contact and start taking FD entry tests. This process will take YEARS. Very hard nowadays to hire on. Helpful hint #2. The bigger and better the fire agency, the better. Pick on ISO Class 1 through 3 outfits. They tend to stick around. But ... no guarantees. Right now times are very tough in CA. Excellent CA FD agencies have crashed and burned. Inglewood, Pomona, Santa Ana, Costa Mesa, Stockton and San Bernardino.

Get on board where you want to live and gain seniority. THIS IS IMPORTANT! Some agencies will be laying off in the future. NOT HIRING! While you are taking tests, get some basic education. The last 15 guys hired in my old outfit, the Bakersfield City Fire Dept in CA had BA or BS degrees. Yep! Only the best will be called up. Keep banging away at your dream. Do not be disappointed. Keep trying. Keep testing. Meanwhile, get more education. The more the better.

Does not have to be fire department specific, which leads into my last point. Lost post. Sorry. You might not make it as a professional FF. Most do not. Five hundred guys tried out for my job. They hired only 2 or 3. One was me. Wow! Have a fall back plan. Occupation number two or three or even four. There are a hundred things you may love doing besides being a FF. The high education will help you there. No guarantees in life. If you want it bad enough, it will happen.

Enough said. My views only. HB of CJ (old coot) ex FF, PM, RN. Now retarded.
    Robert.hilliard#3 likes this.

Forum Member

I am trying to find the best path to become a career firefighter once again I am really grateful for your guidance,,,i liked it and thanks for this advice.i will help me to work

Thanks for these infos....it's great..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjohn1317 View Post
    I am trying to find the best path to become a career firefighter once again I am really grateful for your guidance,,,i liked it and thanks for this advice.i will help me to work

Thanks for these infos....it's great..
    What state do you want to work in??

any ff certs or emt? already

Thread Information