Forum Member

Default Travis County Fire Rescue

Does anyone know what qualifications you need for Travis County (TX) Fire Rescue Department. Their web site did not give any details.

Forum Member

Where do you see that they are hiring

do you have link to the annocement

Forum Member

Also interested!

Forum Member

They are not hiring. I just wanted to know their qualifications.

Forum Member

This is

Travis County ESD No. 2 / Pflugerville Fire

Requirements, more than likely same for all eds

http://www.pflugervillefire.org/inde...reers/faq-menu

Or call

https://www.traviscountytx.gov/fire-marshal/esd

Forum Member

Thanks Fire5555! Did not even think of Pflugerville.

Forum Member

For Texas departments, does anyone know, if they only accept Texas certification or will they also accept ProBoard certification?

Forum Member

if they are specifying a certification, normally it is Texas certified through the commisson

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/certificat...ansferring.asp

Forum Member

The reason I was asking is, every department I look at seems to want people who already are Texas certified. So besides already being Texas certified how does someone from out of state get a position with a Texas department? The reason I ask is I'm ProBoard certified through Firefighter II.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USCGFF View Post
    The reason I was asking is, every department I look at seems to want people who already are Texas certified. So besides already being Texas certified how does someone from out of state get a position with a Texas department? The reason I ask is I'm ProBoard certified through Firefighter II.

go through the simple commisson process, takes a little money, a little paperwork, and a test, which you only have to hit 70% on.

Forgot you need ECA or higher certification also!!!!!!!

1.Find out if your training is equivalent to Texas requirements

Individuals who have received out-of-state or military training may be eligible to have their training deemed equivalent in order to complete the commission-designated skill evaluation process and challenge the commission's examination for the applicable certification discipline by submitting your training to be reviewed by the commission staff. The commission charges a non-refundable fee of $35 for each records review conducted for the purpose of determining equivalency to the appropriate commission certification training program or to establish eligibility to complete the evaluation process. Applicants submitting training records for review will receive a written response from the commission. The staff needs to evaluate detailed information regarding each course taken (i.e., course content, number of hours, and a copy of an official transcript and/or certificate of completion). Please submit your training records and the fee to:

Texas Commission on Fire Protection
    ATTN: Training Approval and Testing Program
    PO Box 2286
    Austin, TX 78768-2286

Please use form TCFP-045, Record Review Request Form , to request a review of your records to determine eligibility.

If it is determined that your training meets the training requirements for the certification discipline(s) sought, and you meet any pre-requisite requirements as identified in the appropriate commission rule, you will be issued a commission Personal Identification Number (PIN). Furthermore, you will be provided with a Qualification Number (Qual#) for each level of certification you are eligible to test. If your training does not meet the commission's minimum requirements, your training will be returned to you along with written notification as to what documentation is missing.

--------

Return to overview.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1. Finish a basic fire fighter training program.

A "basic structure fire suppression training program" is a school, course or academy that teaches everything in the commission's Basic Fire Suppression Curriculum .

Texas requires a lot of training for its paid fire fighters. The Texas basic curriculum includes 468 hours of training. The curriculum covers all of the National Fire Protection Association's (NFPA) qualifications for:
    •Fire Fighter I.
    •Fire Fighter II.
    •Hazardous Materials-Awareness.
    •Hazardous Materials-Operations.

There are several places to get the training:
    •A Texas fire department's fire academy.
    •A course at a state college or private training provider.
    •A Texas volunteer fire department that participates in a certification program.
    •Other states or military services.

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/certificat...ion-step_1.asp

the best thing to do if you are interested is call certification direct and ask the questions:::

Please contact the certification section at (512) 936-3824 for assistance

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire5555 View Post

go through the simple commisson process, takes a little money, a little paperwork, and a test, which you only have to hit 70% on.

Forgot you need ECA or higher certification also!!!!!!!

1.Find out if your training is equivalent to Texas requirements

Individuals who have received out-of-state or military training may be eligible to have their training deemed equivalent in order to complete the commission-designated skill evaluation process and challenge the commission's examination for the applicable certification discipline by submitting your training to be reviewed by the commission staff. The commission charges a non-refundable fee of $35 for each records review conducted for the purpose of determining equivalency to the appropriate commission certification training program or to establish eligibility to complete the evaluation process. Applicants submitting training records for review will receive a written response from the commission. The staff needs to evaluate detailed information regarding each course taken (i.e., course content, number of hours, and a copy of an official transcript and/or certificate of completion). Please submit your training records and the fee to:

Texas Commission on Fire Protection
    ATTN: Training Approval and Testing Program
    PO Box 2286
    Austin, TX 78768-2286

Please use form TCFP-045, Record Review Request Form , to request a review of your records to determine eligibility.

If it is determined that your training meets the training requirements for the certification discipline(s) sought, and you meet any pre-requisite requirements as identified in the appropriate commission rule, you will be issued a commission Personal Identification Number (PIN). Furthermore, you will be provided with a Qualification Number (Qual#) for each level of certification you are eligible to test. If your training does not meet the commission's minimum requirements, your training will be returned to you along with written notification as to what documentation is missing.

--------

Return to overview.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1. Finish a basic fire fighter training program.

A "basic structure fire suppression training program" is a school, course or academy that teaches everything in the commission's Basic Fire Suppression Curriculum .

Texas requires a lot of training for its paid fire fighters. The Texas basic curriculum includes 468 hours of training. The curriculum covers all of the National Fire Protection Association's (NFPA) qualifications for:
    •Fire Fighter I.
    •Fire Fighter II.
    •Hazardous Materials-Awareness.
    •Hazardous Materials-Operations.

There are several places to get the training:
    •A Texas fire department's fire academy.
    •A course at a state college or private training provider.
    •A Texas volunteer fire department that participates in a certification program.
    •Other states or military services.

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/certificat...ion-step_1.asp

the best thing to do if you are interested is call certification direct and ask the questions:::

Please contact the certification section at (512) 936-3824 for assistance
    Thank you!

Forum Member

Fire555 has it covered, dept's in Travis county (and all of TX I would guess) can't even really talk about working you unless you have your basic through TCFP. Also, there is no department I'm aware of in the county that accept anything below EMT basic. You don't have to have a national registry necessarily. The bottom line is you will have to be able to be credentialed through the Austin/Travis county office of the medical director, and they require confirmation a TX dept of state health services license before clearing you. This typically happens after you get hired but you'll need the state EMS cert to begin. I don't think it's that hard to get, after I took the national I just paid them a little money and I was "certified"

Forum Member

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/emstraum.../stdrecip.shtm

EMS Reciprocity Certification

* New policy changes effective 7/20/2011*

According to Policy P2001-A, effective 7/20/2011, reciprocity applicants must hold a valid and current EMS personnel certification issued by another state or U.S. Territory. Click to view Policy P2001-A.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frostymug1001 View Post
    Fire555 has it covered, dept's in Travis county (and all of TX I would guess) can't even really talk about working you unless you have your basic through TCFP. Also, there is no department I'm aware of in the county that accept anything below EMT basic. You don't have to have a national registry necessarily. The bottom line is you will have to be able to be credentialed through the Austin/Travis county office of the medical director, and they require confirmation a TX dept of state health services license before clearing you. This typically happens after you get hired but you'll need the state EMS cert to begin. I don't think it's that hard to get, after I took the national I just paid them a little money and I was "certified"
    I'm a state certified EMT-B for the past four years now, just not in Texas. I know in Travis, they will get you Texas certified once you are hired.

Thread Information