Thread: Instructors?

Forum Member

Default Instructors?

Instructors, So I am looking for some recommendations for a new laptop. Just trying to get something that works well for basic presentations and is going to last. Also any recommendations for programs you use to assist with creating your presentations.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

DON'T BUY A DELL!! I bought the top of the line Dell laptop and within the first 18 months the display had to be replaced, 3 hard drives, and various reprogramming done and it still didn't and doesn't work right. Now within 2 1/2 years the motherboard and other internals had to be replaced. NEVER AGAIN!!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I had a Toshiba that I dragged all over the place for 4 years. I'd still be using it except that it won't let me get on the internet anymore, wireless or hardwired. It's probably a hardware malfunction, but being six years old, it was well past time for a new one. Dragged it to Iraq for a year, dropped it a bunch of times, and it kept going. It still works for files and ITunes, so I haven't thrown it out yet, it's just been replaced by a new laptop. Unfortunately I had to settle for an HP, as they can't keep Toshiba's in stock very long before they fly out the door. And I'd get one of those computer speakers to go with it, that way if you don't have a way to put your presentation on a big screen, you can do it on the computer and people can hear any audio better.
    As for programs, MS Office should work just fine, and most everyone uses it. 2013 is the newest, but 2007 ought to work just fine too. That gives you Word, Excell, and Powerpoint, among other things.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    DON'T BUY A DELL!! I bought the top of the line Dell laptop and within the first 18 months the display had to be replaced, 3 hard drives, and various reprogramming done and it still didn't and doesn't work right. Now within 2 1/2 years the motherboard and other internals had to be replaced. NEVER AGAIN!!
    We only buy Dells. Everyone makes a lemon once in a while.

My best recommendation for a laptop that will be moved around a lot...spend the extra cash and get a Solid State Drive. Way more reliable than a spinning hard drive.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    We only buy Dells. Everyone makes a lemon once in a while.

My best recommendation for a laptop that will be moved around a lot...spend the extra cash and get a Solid State Drive. Way more reliable than a spinning hard drive.
    Well they made 2 in a row then! My wife and I both bought the top of the line lap top computers and both are pieces of junk. I know some people swear by Dell, from this point on I will only swear at them and buy something else.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

All depends if you are looking for a $350 laptop or one that will last and is designed to take abuse and keep working no matter what the environment.
    I used a panasonic toughbook CF29 for seven years with no issues.
    touchscreen , large solid state hard drive, excellent graphics , GPS card for mapping structure locations wireless connectivity for using large screen LCD TV as projection screen, and tough as nails. It was used for training, Teaching EMS classes, EMS run reporting in the ambulance and preplanning structures. Well worth the $$$ .You can get them factory refurbed for under a grand.

Forum Member

Toughbooks are what my LEO uses in their cars....but they are mounted in the cars which is much different working environment than one that is carried around.

My full time job is in a school district where kids from 6th grade up through 12th grade are provided an Apple Macbook Air from September through June, 24 hours a day. With teachers included that brings me to maintaining ~800 laptops that are mostly handled by kids. Yes, Apple costs more than other computers for the most part. In the 3 years we have been running the Air's....I have had to repair 2. They are excellent quality and have been holding up to abuse well. But yes, they cost more than an equally spec'd Windows based laptop.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    Instructors, So I am looking for some recommendations for a new laptop. Just trying to get something that works well for basic presentations and is going to last. Also any recommendations for programs you use to assist with creating your presentations.
    I noticed that they are very cheap now a days, would get large hard drive and latest os system

I like dell, have had three, problem with only one, that was repaired fast and in home

Thread Information