Like Tree1Likes

Thread: DCFD Firefighter EMT 2015

Forum Member

Default DCFD Firefighter EMT 2015

Forum Member

Is this going to be for a FF2 spot or mainly EMS?

MembersZone Subscriber

I was wondering the same thing. I called HR and the women told me that it is a dual role position so you can be assigned to either fire or ems.

Forum Member

Question for anyone who may be current DCFD: Any idea how they feel about hiring young people? I'm 19, carry all the necessary certifications, and am career in Virginia but I know some places tend to shy away from the younger crowd. Any input would be appreciated! Also nothing in the posting suggests its a mainly an EMS position although a major city running a pre-certified process does almost sound too good to be true, happy to see them rewarding those who go out and get their certs.

MembersZone Subscriber

The only reason that I was wondering if it was a fire position or an ems position is comments on the job announcement on some other sites talking about being on an ambulance. The comments were from people from other departments but it got me wondering.

Forum Member

Saw someone that posted the hiring link today said they opened the EMT only position as well, that may have been what they were talking about. Extremely excited to partake in this process!

MembersZone Subscriber

Any word on how many or when they plan to hire?

Forum Member

if you get hired as a firefighter with dc, you will be on the ambulance quite a lot until you are promoted...

MembersZone Subscriber

what position do you have to be promoted to? Is that the entrance process for DC or is there another entry level position that is not mainly ems?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jg67368 View Post
    Is this going to be for a FF2 spot or mainly EMS?
    Our FF/EMTs are assigned to fire suppression, but also cover our busy BLS ambulances. We are an All-hazards department so you will provide all aspects of that on a rotational basis.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rj9ff View Post
    Question for anyone who may be current DCFD: Any idea how they feel about hiring young people? I'm 19, carry all the necessary certifications, and am career in Virginia but I know some places tend to shy away from the younger crowd. Any input would be appreciated! Also nothing in the posting suggests its a mainly an EMS position although a major city running a pre-certified process does almost sound too good to be true, happy to see them rewarding those who go out and get their certs.
    Your age doesn't matter. If you meet the requirements then apply. We need bodies on the street. You will be doing fire suppression and EMS via BLS transport unit. Its a great job. We have never offered this type of hiring process before so jump on it while you can.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=arowett;1434298]what position do you have to be promoted to? Is that the entrance process for DC or is there another entry level position that is not mainly ems?[/QUOTE

We are an All-hazards agency. You will be responsible for doing it all. Much of that will be EMS via BLS transport unit. A very busy BLS transport unit.

Forum Member

I have no problem doing EMS and expect to be assigned to the ambulance often, but I'm curious about the breakdown. Is it possible to be assigned to an ambulance for a full 24 hour shift?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Squad50FF View Post
    I have no problem doing EMS and expect to be assigned to the ambulance often, but I'm curious about the breakdown. Is it possible to be assigned to an ambulance for a full 24 hour shift?
    Yes that is the normal. Right now most houses will do a month on an EMS unit rotation. When you're off you may still be required to back fill a medic unit, but more than likely will be on a fire suppression piece.

Forum Member

CapitolSeagrave:

In order to apply, does a candidate have to have their Fire Certs?

I'm a NREMT and I have my DC EMT. Are they hiring single role EMTs?

Thanks,

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CapitolSeagrave View Post
    Yes that is the normal. Right now most houses will do a month on an EMS unit rotation. When you're off you may still be required to back fill a medic unit, but more than likely will be on a fire suppression piece.
    Like one month on EMS - one month on fire - one month EMS? Thanks for your responses, very informative.

Forum Member

Shot in the dark... But do any of you know if you need your fire cert to apply or if you just need it at time of employment? Won't be getting my IFSAC cert until September.. Thought I'd ask on here before calling HR.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 512brian View Post
    Shot in the dark... But do any of you know if you need your fire cert to apply or if you just need it at time of employment? Won't be getting my IFSAC cert until September.. Thought I'd ask on here before calling HR.

States pretty clear that you need it time of hire but I'd call and ask. Depends on how long the process will take Im sure.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Squad50FF View Post
    Like one month on EMS - one month on fire - one month EMS? Thanks for your responses, very informative.
    It depends on the company and staffing. A fully staffed paramedic engine company has an officer, a driver, a medic and and up to five firemen. There's only one spot for the back step firefighter/emt(unless the engine is riding heavy with five guys). Then one fireman gets on the ambulance while the other three are detailed to fill vacancies on other fire companies or medic units. If all vacancies at your company are filled that means you ride your month and then get four off while the other guys rotate through. Not all companies do one month rotations though. Some do three months and others rotate daily. If at a double house, the ambulance is staffed by one engine guy and one truck guy. At single engine houses its staffed by one engine guy and a guy from another single engine house without an ambulance. Medic units are staffed by those from the EMS division. However firemen have to back fill them if there are vacancies.

Forum Member

Your age doesn't matter. If you meet the requirements then apply. We need bodies on the street. You will be doing fire suppression and EMS via BLS transport unit. Its a great job. We have never offered this type of hiring process before so jump on it while you can.
    Ok, thanks a lot for the reply. I was very lucky to get a career position this young where I am, but working in DC has been a dream of mine since I was about waist high so I'm going to give it a go. The department I'm with now does extended periods on the ambulance so that'd be a seamless transition. Do you believe this will be another quick process similar to the FF/PM process they ran back in the fall?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VaFireman View Post
    States pretty clear that you need it time of hire but I'd call and ask. Depends on how long the process will take Im sure.
    I see where it says you need FF1/2 from proboard or ifsac, but some depts dont need it until start of employment. I don't see anywhere that states it needs to be complete at time of application (I could be missing it).. I'll call on Monday and ask.

MembersZone Subscriber

How does this process differ from what has been done in the past?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWest View Post
    How does this process differ from what has been done in the past?
    In their past processes all you had to be was 19 years old with a High School Diploma/GED to apply, this process is a pre-certified process meaning in addition to those things you must also have Proboard/IFSAC Firefighter 1 and 2 as well as National Registry EMT. This type of hiring is gaining popularity but DC is the first major department I've seen offer one. Basically it cuts down on the number of applicants and shortens the amount of time needed in the Academy.

Forum Member

i called HR to answer my own question.. as i figured, the certs are required at time of application. posting this just in case any body else browsing had the same question. unfortunately for me, i miss the required cert by a few months. hopefully they open up the same type of application next year (FF/EMT). best of luck to those applying for this process!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nupe08 View Post
    CapitolSeagrave:

In order to apply, does a candidate have to have their Fire Certs?

I'm a NREMT and I have my DC EMT. Are they hiring single role EMTs?

Thanks,
    We are not hiring single role EMTs. I do not see that process ever opening up again. You will need to take the regular entrance exam which is rumored to be occurring this summer.

Thread Information