Like Tree1Likes

Thread: LA county fire test

Forum Member

Default LA county fire test

So i just got the letter saying I'm invited to do there written test, it's crazy that's it's a two day testing phase I'm curious to see how that's going to be. Now I have to figure out taking time off of work and travel plans!

Forum Member

Waiting on results now. I was surprised by how some people were just quitting in the middle of taking the test.

Met several good guys standing in line on both days. It was a good experience. I hope I get to move forward.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Big test, hopefully we hear back soon.

Forum Member

Their FB page says, "The written tests are being scored and candidates will be sent letters notifying them of their results in the next several weeks". So that depends on what your version of "soon" is.

Forum Member

From what I've heard, testing was kind of crazy and there was a lot of walk outs? if so, I'm hoping they open hiring again. I missed the deadline last time due to other testing but I'm hoping I can get in if they open up applications again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jprz.51 View Post
    From what I've heard, testing was kind of crazy and there was a lot of walk outs? if so, I'm hoping they open hiring again. I missed the deadline last time due to other testing but I'm hoping I can get in if they open up applications again.

I was there both days. The first day was about 8 hrs for one 5 min test and a 45 min test. Im not sure if it was designed to frustrate you or not, but on the second day I took about a 100 question test and was out of there by 11am.

Forum Member

when LACoFD says they're testing, you drop everything you do and you make time to take the exam w/ one of the best fire departments in the world. i was there for the two day test. first day was weird and frustrating. second day was smoother than the first. its a waiting game now. God speed.
    enginetercera likes this.

Forum Member

Sadly (for you, not for me :P) I don't think they'll have too much of a problem. On the first day I was in the smallest hall and maybe 5-10 people walked out. Day 2 there was maybe 75-85% of the day one people there depending on who you ask. I heard rumors they want 500 off this list or at least need 500 new hires between retires and promotions. No idea how accurate that is since they were 2nd hand rumors. If that is the case maybe you're in luck for a test sooner rather than later because looking around I saw a lot of frustrated faces during the mechanical aptitude portion.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nebo View Post
    Sadly (for you, not for me :P) I don't think they'll have too much of a problem. On the first day I was in the smallest hall and maybe 5-10 people walked out. Day 2 there was maybe 75-85% of the day one people there depending on who you ask. I heard rumors they want 500 off this list or at least need 500 new hires between retires and promotions. No idea how accurate that is since they were 2nd hand rumors. If that is the case maybe you're in luck for a test sooner rather than later because looking around I saw a lot of frustrated faces during the mechanical aptitude portion.
    I hear 200-300 new hires and another 100-200 after retirements and promotions

Forum Member

i heard the same 500 new recruits rumor. of course its a rumor. i don't think LACoFD will be testing any time soon. God speed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dctalk523 View Post
    when LACoFD says they're testing, you drop everything you do and you make time to take the exam w/ one of the best fire departments in the world. i was there for the two day test. first day was weird and frustrating. second day was smoother than the first. its a waiting game now. God speed.
    Lol, the second day right when we started the mech aptitude portion the kid next to me look at the first page, looked defeated, and put his head down and went to sleep. lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FourYearJohn View Post
    Lol, the second day right when we started the mech aptitude portion the kid next to me look at the first page, looked defeated, and put his head down and went to sleep. lol
    wtf, really? don't get me wrong there were some head scratchers on the mechanical aptitude portion, but you don't just give up. wow, smh. God speed.

Forum Member

Not to bash people too hard, but honestly that wasn't that hard (sure, results aren't out yet so who knows). Most of those you could look at and just reason out if you made it through HS which kind of is a requirement. I think there were 2 where I wanted a little more information but even without it could narrow them down to 1 of 2 answers. After that all you had to do was read. If you could read you could pass. Read question first, then read passage and underline all relevant info. EZPZ.

That is the point of these tests though; find who can take context and answer do relevant tasks.

Forum Member

Not to bash people too hard, but honestly that wasn't that hard (sure, results aren't out yet so who knows). Most of those you could look at and just reason out if you made it through HS which kind of is a requirement. I think there were 2 where I wanted a little more information but even without it could narrow them down to 1 of 2 answers. After that all you had to do was read. If you could read you could pass. Read question first, then read passage and underline all relevant info. EZPZ.

That is the point of these tests though; find who can take context and answer do relevant tasks.
    Exactly. For what it's worth, the first day the Red room was full (3200) and the 2nd day it was 3/4 full (2400). Id wager the other rooms werent as full either so Id guess 1000 didnt show up the second day.

They said 4200 were there, so thats 3200 tests scored. Very good odds.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dctalk523 View Post
    wtf, really? don't get me wrong there were some head scratchers on the mechanical aptitude portion, but you don't just give up. wow, smh. God speed.
    From what I gathered he was very young, under 21 at least (vertical cali ID's). Id guess it was his first test from what I gathered talking to him. Oh well, thats what these tests are for.

Forum Member

Exactly. For what it's worth, the first day the Red room was full (3200) and the 2nd day it was 3/4 full (2400). Id wager the other rooms werent as full either so Id guess 1000 didnt show up the second day.

They said 4200 were there, so thats 3200 tests scored. Very good odds.
    Assuming 3200 scored and an 80% pass rate that is ~2500 passing. 1 in 5 sounds good to me. Sadly don't get to see wash out from CPAT as well and that they're using a lottery (if I remember right) to draw interview order which may or may not matter. 2500 interviews really isn't that much. Seattle does 1000+ first rounds every test and that only takes them a few weeks. I'm breaking my rules right now and speculating way too much. Need to just forget about it all until I get notice of the next step assuming I didn't bomb out from that 5 min test.

Out of curiosity was anyone else from out of state? I felt like the only one which I didn't expect with a department like LACo.

Forum Member

same here bro, i came from arizona.

Forum Member

Out of curiosity was anyone else from out of state? I felt like the only one which I didn't expect with a department like LACo.
    dude, i'm born and raised in so cal. i expected a smooth no nonsense type of test from LACoFD. one of the best fire departments in the world. first day was a nightmare. i felt like i was testing for a third world fire department. poor planning and execution. mentally drained me out.

Forum Member

I almost think the first day was a PITA on purpose. But some of the volunteers looked genuine in their confusion. Maybe LACo and the new testing firm went all out and only told some (IE: the lead) people. Wouldn't that be something?

Forum Member

I went from Midwest. During bathroom breaks I saw DLs from Oregon, Washington, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida and Illinois.

Forum Member

I thought the math was a little tricky. Most people don't feel the same way I did about it, saying it was all easy, but after going back and re-reading the questions, I felt it was definitely a little tricky unless you REALLY pay attention to what they were asking. I was the only person to get my numbers and answers that I talked too. So who knows, I probably bombed it if everyone else got the same answers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grub View Post
    I thought the math was a little tricky. Most people don't feel the same way I did about it, saying it was all easy, but after going back and re-reading the questions, I felt it was definitely a little tricky unless you REALLY pay attention to what they were asking. I was the only person to get my numbers and answers that I talked too. So who knows, I probably bombed it if everyone else got the same answers.
    I definitely agree with this. On the math part I went back and REREAD the question and caught my mistake. There was a tricky one in there if you werent paying attention.

Forum Member

I definitely agree with this. On the math part I went back and REREAD the question and caught my mistake. There was a tricky one in there if you werent paying attention.
    I wouldn't count any of those as tricky, just read all the conditions. They could all be summed up in:
    Select this
    Select this if
    Select this if this and this

Then again, I did DB work for 2+ years.

Forum Member

Well, I guess we shall find out soon enough.

Forum Member

A couple other people have said the first day was a PITA on purpose. Get people frustrated and inpatient and see how they do their subjective exam under those conditions, and then wash out those who gave up and didn't bother showing up to the second day because of the frustration. Kinda makes sense to me in all honesty. I was in the Red hall both days, way near the back (one of the first ones in) so I couldn't quite tell how full it was the second day vs. the first day but appeared to be mostly full. I just can't imagine blowing it off because of a little frustration, do you really think you wont be frustrated and have "hurry up and wait" in the Tower and on the line??

Anyways I was honestly a little frustrated myself with the people getting in line without their invites signed and having to ask for pens to sign it, or still having watches on and all that. The directions were very clear that you needed to have signed the invites BEFORE the test date and basically have nothing else except the invite and ID...like if you tried showing up to the Tower without a piece of paper signed when they said have it signed the day before I can't imagine they'll be very kind on you....

Thread Information