Forum Member

Default Help From Fire Inspectors

I have an interview for inspector coming up and have been studying various things mostly going over code etc. Any questions or situations that might come up in the interview or additional items I should prepare to answer? All help is appreciated.

Forum Member

1. what would you do if the owner says you can not come in?

2. what would you do if the owner shows you a wad of money after you wrote two pages of violations?\

3. Can you explain how a fire extinguisher or insert whatever works to the owner

4. Owner say you know my brother is the fire cheif, as you are writing the second page of violations

5. what would you do if you were unsure of a possible code violation that you are about to write

Knowing the code is nice, because if you do not know the code you cannot enforce it.. I good place to be is I know kind of what chapter the item might be in, I just need to read and make sure.

You should also know some about the city, is it many residential, what are some of the big employers in town, where are some of the hazardous businesses,

If you are a firefighter now rely on some of that training, yes I have used a fire extinguisher and can tell a business how to use one, why it should be inspected, and limitations.

Yes I can work with the community, and other city agencies.

Decide if you are a hard head who wants things done tommorow or are you going to work with a business to resolve something, as long as it is not a life safety issue.

Try to find out what kind of inspections they do, annual, new cosntruction, complaints, etc, so you can talk to those points

good lcuk, and practice with a recorder so you know what you sound like, and wear suit and tie.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire5555 View Post
    1. what would you do if the owner says you can not come in?

2. what would you do if the owner shows you a wad of money after you wrote two pages of violations?\

3. Can you explain how a fire extinguisher or insert whatever works to the owner

4. Owner say you know my brother is the fire cheif, as you are writing the second page of violations

5. what would you do if you were unsure of a possible code violation that you are about to write

Knowing the code is nice, because if you do not know the code you cannot enforce it.. I good place to be is I know kind of what chapter the item might be in, I just need to read and make sure.

You should also know some about the city, is it many residential, what are some of the big employers in town, where are some of the hazardous businesses,

If you are a firefighter now rely on some of that training, yes I have used a fire extinguisher and can tell a business how to use one, why it should be inspected, and limitations.

Yes I can work with the community, and other city agencies.

Decide if you are a hard head who wants things done tommorow or are you going to work with a business to resolve something, as long as it is not a life safety issue.

Try to find out what kind of inspections they do, annual, new cosntruction, complaints, etc, so you can talk to those points

good lcuk, and practice with a recorder so you know what you sound like, and wear suit and tie.
    Thanks for the help. Luckily it is a position with the department I currently work for. Post injury I am stuck in dispatch and want to make it back out into the field. We have 2 separate divisions. One does the construction and planning side and we would do the annual inspections and the complaint inspections.

Forum Member

that helps being I the dept

so are you going against anyone???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire5555 View Post
    that helps being I the dept

so are you going against anyone???
    Don't know yet. It was an internal hire. The dept supposedly needs 4 but who knows how many they are actually taking. There were only 12 interview times total so I am hoping there were only 12 of us for 4 spots.

Forum Member

Default Attitudes about Fire Inspections

Quote Originally Posted by pbcfirefighter View Post
    I have an interview for inspector coming up and have been studying various things mostly going over code etc. Any questions or situations that might come up in the interview or additional items I should prepare to answer? All help is appreciated.
    Don't ever use the fire codes as weapons but as educational tools to help people understand not only what needs to be done but the rational for doing it. Never threaten sanctions or citations until that is your last resort to compel compliance. Try to be accommodating to your business owners - don't show up at noon to inspection the local restaurant. Be involved in the community outside of the work place. Join the Rotary or other service organizations. Good luck on the interview!

Thread Information