Forum Member

Default Houston fire Dept. 2015

Has anyone taken the written exam for Houston fire before? the test will be on April 21 2015. two tests will be given this day for the 3 categories of Non-Certified Firefighter/EMT, Certified Firefighter and EMT, Certified Firefighter and Paramedic.

Forum Member

Took it in 2013 and was unable to continue on due to scheduling conflicts. Based on who moved on I would have been in the first class. Test was FST back then, think they used that last year too but I wasn't there. People were saying it was hard when I left/on forums, no idea what test they were taking. Was just basic reading/math/if Joe the firefighter climbs X stairs a minute type questions.

EDIT - Was about the new medic/table program. Don't read/listen to things after a long shift in the middle of the night.
    Last edited by nebo; Yesterday at 02:48 PM.

Forum Member

@nebo
    Do you currently work for a fire/ems service? Did you listen to the sound clip? I think you may be misinterpreting the purpose of these tablets. It has nothing to do with emt/paramedic incompetency. I wish you luck in your fire service career.

Forum Member

I work for an EMT service ATM and listened to it last night after shift so I may have just misheard it. Listening now it makes more sense and would prevent unnecessary transport. When I listened last night I thought it was the more the dr could override you.

Forum Member

i do not work for HFD so I do not have first hand experience with these tablets. I imagine though that it would potentially put a strain on medic units due to longer on scene times if a doctor is contacted.

Forum Member

tested w/ HFD in 2013. the test they're using (FST) is weird. i passed the test but ranked low and didn't have military points. God speed.

Forum Member

@Fellahin50, I didn't even think about that. Could just hire more but I heard HFD is having budget issues (who isnt?). Anyone know if that's true/how it's going?

Forum Member

rumor was that half the department is up for retirement. thats a lot of FF's to replace.

Forum Member

The test was time consuming and challenging for me at least. Let's just say there won't be a lot of people scoring higher than 90.

Forum Member

if you look at the test scores form the certified test on their website the highest score was an 86. pretty crazy, so that's why I was wondering what test they are using. I know you need a 70 and you are ranked.

Forum Member

Yeah even some of the certified paramedics failed the test.

Forum Member

also has anyone received anything on attending the written on april 21? since applying.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jim_jones View Post
    The test was time consuming and challenging for me at least. Let's just say there won't be a lot of people scoring higher than 90.
    yes, the test was very time consuming. i don't understand why 3rd party test makers do this. like i said before, military points help out big time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dctalk523 View Post
    yes, the test was very time consuming. i don't understand why 3rd party test makers do this. like i said before, military points help out big time.
    You keep mentioning military points?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by M240B View Post
    You keep mentioning military points?
    ex-military gets 5 points added to the written.

Forum Member

you make it sound as if your not military you wont pass? maybe im just reading into your comment to much. but either way its extra points for the military folks.

Forum Member

you make it sound as if your not military you wont pass? maybe im just reading into your comment to much. but either way its extra points for the military folks.
    you're reading into my comments. receiving military points adds 5 points to the final score which is huge.

Forum Member

Oh yea no doubt about that! haha

You said its the fsi test right?

Forum Member

I got an 87 with no extra points in 2013 so it's fully doable. Also, only got the email (on 3/11) saying:
    "Your application for Fire Fighter Trainee has been received." Says there are two times (which is new, they haven't done that before that I know of) but not which I got.

Forum Member

Yea I was wondering if we just show up to a time or will they assign us a time to go. what was the test that they used or what kind of subjects? was it similar to dallas test?

Forum Member

It was the FSI test and it looks like it'll be the same this year as well (the email has a study guide, don't waste your money). I had to miss Dallas. Annoyed about that b/c it sounds like there was only ~1000 people.

The format is two part. One is agree/disagree and the other is your run of the mill word problems/grammer/spelling/maps/etc.

Forum Member

Ha thanks man I feel like I purchase every study guide and I have so many laying around I forget about which ones I have. thanks for the info though. this was my first time testing with dallas I am eager to see what I scored.

Thread Information