Like Tree18Likes

Thread: scared chief

Forum Member

Default scared chief

my volunteer dept. just elected an assistant chief he is clueless he has never felt the heat of a fire but goes around telling the "firefighters" who only see about 1 call a year he is the first one in and the last one out but that is far from the truth thats how he won i know of only 2 times he has put a pack on at a call the first was at a fire that the sprinkler system did its job the second he followed me and another firefighter around doing mop up but he didnt lift a finger to help he can not set up and pump water when he is at a structure fire if he sprays water its from a good distance away from the structure he showed up to his first call as an assistant and didnt put his gear on and he made a past chief run the call (dump truck fire put out by another dept who got there first) help me get him to resign as chief before he gets someone hurt as we have some up and coming members who are to eager to get into a fire that wont think twice if he sends them in on the plus side he is a great fundraising member so i dont want him to quite all together

p.s. i can not be the one to say anything to him as he is my brother-in-law

Forum Member

I hope this is a joke. If not, you should resign. You just blasted a family member in public. You are embarrassing.
    CaptOldTimer and Chenzo like this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I hope this is a joke. If not, you should resign. You just blasted a family member in public. You are embarrassing.
    But Bo-o-ones!

he's a descrace and he dose not do wat he is sopost to due and he is an axident wating to happen and he dose not wear I fite what you fear shirts wen we are at training he dose not try hard and he wont put the blocks away or clean up the finger paint when he is done
    scfire86 and Chenzo like this.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Angry

how is this not firefighting related and as for "blasting a family member in public" im scared to death that he will get someone hurt that other wise wouldnt have asked for help in this situation what do you want me to do is sit back and wait for him to kill someone i dont think so and i would have done this if he was my own brother or son also im giving examples of what he does the community we serve sees him for the joke of a firefighter he is and i never once said that he is a bad person he is just a bad firefighter

Forum Member

Someone elected him???

Was this the best candidate??

Forum Member

First of all ... I use of commas, periods or any other form of proper punctuation is NOT frowned on in this establishment. My head still hurts from reading your post.

Secondly, if he was elected that tells me the majority of the membership does not feel this way. If he was the only one running, and he is as bad as you describe, I suspect somebody else would have stepped forward and would have been elected. He there was somebody else running against him, obviously the membership as a whole felt that he was the best choice.

Having served on some very slow rural VFDs, as well as in my current role as a state instructor, there are some Chiefs serving in those types of agencies that may not have tremendous fire experience, but were elected into those roles because of their training, management and public relations skills . It's difficult to become a great firefighter on a very slow department. And the reality is, as an Asst Chief, most of what he should be doing will be command roles on the exterior.

Forum Member

unfortunately they did but if there was just 2 running for the same position not the 3 running or the by-laws stated something along the lines of being eligible to vote for a chiefs position the members must make x number of calls as long as it was more than 2 calls per year he would not have been elected but when you politic for votes to the members who barley make 5 calls a year and unfortunately that is more than 1/3 of the dept

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltfirefighterbeil View Post
    how is this not firefighting related and as for "blasting a family member in public" im scared to death that he will get someone hurt that other wise wouldnt have asked for help in this situation what do you want me to do is sit back and wait for him to kill someone i dont think so and i would have done this if he was my own brother or son also im giving examples of what he does the community we serve sees him for the joke of a firefighter he is and i never once said that he is a bad person he is just a bad firefighter
    Still trying to understand what you are writing, but have a quick question.....what do you expect this public forum to do? We don't know your department rules/bylaws/procedures/etc. We know 1 barely understandable side of the story. Here's my best suggestion....follow your departments rules. If your department doesn't have rules, then work to get them created. Talk to the Chief above him and see how he feels. Does that Chief have power to change the Assistant Chief? Does that Chief agree with your feelings?

As for him being family member, do you really need help from strangers on how to talk to your own brother-in-law? That simply astounds me.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Do us all a favor, quit the fire dept, and go back to school.
    FWDbuff and scfire86 like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another member of the texting generation...

I'll second the question on the rules. My department requires at least an intro to officer course, on top of regular firefighter training, to serve as an officer. If more courses were available on a regular basis, we'd probably require more. But that's a topic for another day.

Are there any sour grapes involved here?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post

Are there any sour grapes involved here?
    Assistant Chief Truman can be a real ding-dong.

Name:  dewey-defeats-truman.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  51.9 KB
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Since the OP is using the moniker of Lt firefighterbell:: I'm taking a WAG that he was passed over by his fellow members in the voting process who elected his brother in law to be asst. chief.

What he says may or may not be true about the BIL's qualifications.

Fact is in many vollie depts, it is still the good ole boy popularity contest for who gets to be in charge, or who has the most relatives on the dept to vote for them.
    WVFD705 likes this.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I am always stunned when people come on to this forum and post this kind of thing. Not being a member of the OP's department we have no idea of the rules/regulations, criteria for promotion, and process for being promoted. Lacking all of that how can anyone here be expected to offer anything close to worthwhile advice?

I'll bet holiday get togethers and summer BBQs are quite the interesting yet unbelievably tense events.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I am always stunned when people come on to this forum and post this kind of thing. Not being a member of the OP's department we have no idea of the rules/regulations, criteria for promotion, and process for being promoted. Lacking all of that how can anyone here be expected to offer anything close to worthwhile advice?

I'll bet holiday get togethers and summer BBQs are quite the interesting yet unbelievably tense events.
    When I started here back in the early 90's, a FD BBQ or get together resembled a family reunion for 2 families. They also said it was a good time to pick up women.

Anyways, I would just love to hear one of the OTHER sides to the story here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by v123458413 View Post
    If this situation is truly that dire, for goodness sake MAN UP and go talk to him. Or to your governing body. Or to the county commission, or to the crew at your fire hall. Do something in real life, not here on the internet. One day if another fire fighter is dead are you going to tell your peers that you posted about him on firehouse.com in hopes of solving the problem?

Forum Member

ltfirefighterbeil is now v123458413? Hmm, wonder why the change in name....

Forum Member

Nice catch Bones!

Forum Member

And "Lieutenant Firefighter"? That reminds me of the "Corporal Captain" bit on M*A*S*H years ago.
    Bones42 and islandfire03 like this.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

God dammit that's a painful post to try and read.

Punctuation.... Geezus.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Okay, having thought about this for a couple of days here goes:

1) Move to effect change from within the fire department. Things like setting criteria and training standards for promotion.
    2) Go to the chief and express your concerns about your brother in law and his ability to be assistant chief.
    3) Quit. If the situation is SO dangerous that you don't feel safe being there quit, walk away, and find something else to do. It isn't like you are required to stay.
    WVFD705 likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

ihate itwhe npeop ledon tusep aragr aphso rpunc tuati onmak esmef eelli keimt rying toint ercep tarad iotra nsmis sionf roma germ ansu bmari neors ometh ingli ketha ttttt

On a serious answer to the question, if you think there is a problem that needs to be addressed or fixed, then do so. Complaining is easy. Anybody can do it and it doesn't require any follow through. Finding the problem and fixing the problem requires a lot of effort. You willing to put in the effort?

What role does safety play in your organization and in your training? If something is so blatantly unsafe that anyone should see it but most don't, the assistance chief isn't the issue. Training is the issue. Training is what opens eyes to what is safe and what is not safe. Worry less about the assistant chief and more about departmental-level training and education. Train enough people on what firefighting should look like, and you'll see the wheat start separating from the chaff.

If training isn't the issue, and you are the only on perceiving this issue, then it's probably just you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not many departments out there with a LT named Beil. Just saying. Google is your friend.

MembersZone Subscriber

The only embarrassing thing about his post is that he doesn't have the guts to face his brother-in-law. This is all the more reason to be the one to step forward and protect the other members, of course unless he is exaggerating some of his comments. If he truly believes his accusations are accurate he needs to OPENLY, and not behind the back, confront the situation. Besides Bones, how did he openly blast anybody when he did not mention any names or his department, or even his community. Perhaps we should use our ESP?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    And "Lieutenant Firefighter"? That reminds me of the "Corporal Captain" bit on M*A*S*H years ago.
    Sergeant Major is better.

Forum Member

my volunteer dept. just elected an assistant chief he is clueless he has never felt the heat of a fire but goes around telling the "firefighters" who only see about 1 call a year he is the first one in and the last one out but that is far from the truth thats how he won i know of only 2 times he has put a pack on at a call the first was at a fire that the sprinkler system did its job the second he followed me and another firefighter around doing mop up but he didnt lift a finger to help he can not set up and pump water when he is at a structure fire if he sprays water its from a good distance away from the structure he showed up to his first call as an assistant and didnt put his gear on and he made a past chief run the call (dump truck fire put out by another dept who got there first) help me get him to resign as chief before he gets someone hurt as we have some up and coming members who are to eager to get into a fire that wont think twice if he sends them in on the plus side he is a great fundraising member so i dont want him to quite all together

p.s. i can not be the one to say anything to him as he is my brother-in-law
    So you are saying the chief isn't a real SMOKEATER like you? Only smoke he eats is from a Cuban cigar ?

Thread Information