Forum Member

Default Wear ribbons in their memory - RIP

(Also posted in the LODD forum):

Let us take a very somber moment to recognise the supreme sacrifice made by so many of our firefighting and emergency service brethren rushing to help others injured and killed by the terrorist attacks yesterday.

In their memory and in honour of their sacrifice let us all wear the IFFD ribbons proudly for what they so tragically have given. Please spread the word so all can show support for those who ran into the areas that everyone else ran out of.

The symbol of a piece of red & a piece of blue ribbon pinned together at the top (representing the elements we work with, fire and water) can be seen at the International Firefighters' Day website.

Please wear your ribbons in memory of those who have been lost.

My prayers and thoughts are with all who have been touched by this terrible tragedy.

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: FireBabe ]
    Lt JJ Edmondson
    Victoria, AUSTRALIA

"I walk where the fire dances"

** International Firefighters' Day **:
    http://www.iffd.net

Forum Member

For those of you who need a picture of the ribbon here it is . If you wish you can paste this image into your web pages by cut and pasting this url:
    http://ladyfirefighter.freehomepage....IFFDribbon.gif

It is also available on the
    International Firefighters' Day website.

If you wish to paste an image of the ribbons as worn it is found at:
    http://ladyfirefighter.freehomepage....es/IFFDrib.gif

Take care and stay safe

JJ

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: FireBabe ]
    Lt JJ Edmondson
    Victoria, AUSTRALIA

"I walk where the fire dances"

** International Firefighters' Day **:
    http://www.iffd.net

Following the original e-mail sent in regards to the display of blue, black, and red ribbons on all Fire Department vehicles in Lawrence Kansas there have been several questions asked that I hope this follow-up message will explain. First, the choice of color combinations was done intentionally to separate these ribbons from others that will be displayed. I have heard of all types of combinations of ribbon colors with of course red, white, and blue seeming to be the most popular. I feel red, white, and blue is very appropriate and I do also display that on my personal vehicle with the Public Safety ribbon. However, there is a need in my opinion for us to be able to distinguish the Public Safety losses in our own personal way.
    Firefighters, Law Enforcement Officers, and EMS Professionals are themselves a world wide family. As with all families we do not seem to get along all of the time but when the alarm sounds there is nothing any one of us would not do for the other. In our eyes and in the eyes of the nation all of our fallen brothers and sisters are and should be called HEROES. However, I know that if we could ask any of our fallen right now they would tell everyone they do not see themselves as heroes but as a brotherhood dedicated to the greatest professions on earth. That every Public Safety professional risks their lives everyday to serve and protect the community around them. I know there is not one of us out there who would not have answered the alarm, because that is what we do. I also know that almost everyone in our family wishes to be in New York right at this moment digging through the rubble with bear hands to reach our brothers and sisters.
    Please show support for your community and our nation every way that you can. But I also hope everyone will participate in the use of the Public Safety ribbons to distinguish all of us that have suffered such staggering losses in our own "Family".
    In the making of the ribbons I simply tried to find " wide cloth ribbon that seemed more durable. All were cut about 12" to 14" long and placed with the black ribbon in the middle. I then used a small wire tie in the middle then placed a larger unconnected wire tie in and tightened the smaller one around the ribbons and larger wire tie. The larger wire tie was then used to secure the ribbons around vehicle antennas, light bars, door handle, front grills, ladders, handrails, bells, or wherever they could be seen on all sides of the vehicles. When tightening the small wire tie either the blue or the red ribbon can placed more on the outside to make it more service specific. Also melting the ends slightly will keep them from unraveling so much in the wind.
    Keep all of our brother, sisters, and their loved ones in your prayers and stay safe,
    Brian Aeschliman IAFF local 1595
    Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical

Thread Information