Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default So what are YOU gonna DO?

In my small VFD i am putting together a aluminum can drive and taking donations for the families of the fallen FDNY. I am also donating blood. What are you doing to help?

My girlfriend and I have dontated blood....

I want to physically help...but your idea about the cans is a neat one.

Nothing we do will reduce the impact, but I guess it will help us feel a part...
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

The Ohio Fire emergency response plan has been activated, I found out today. If we don't get called to NY, then I'm gonna give blood tomorrow.
    I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine.

--Kurt Vonnegut

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

If I get the scholarship I am waiting for, I am donating some of it to the foundation set up with Firehouse.com. (Even if I don't, I am still donating something.) I also felt the need to be more patriotic and I bought a CD -- it's the USAF Band & Singing Sergeants entitle "America!" -- it's awesome. Starts out with "This Land Is Your Land" and finishes with an amazing "Star Spangled Banner".

Our dept. is setting up a FEMA emergency team of six men from our department that will be deployed at their request. All six are volunteer and could possibly be without pay, but almost all of the 63 actives have put their names in a hat to be one of the six who may get the honor to go and help with the search of our brothers and sisters and fellow americans. We have also been helping to raise money for the Salvation Army and Red Cross.

Right now we are waiying to hear about if we will be sent to NY. We have been told that they will need to rotate crews to NY for months to come.

I am sure that are feelings here are shared with most other firefighters across the country... helplessness. No matter how important it is that we keep our comapnies up and running calls we all want to be there to help our fallen brothers. It is hard, but remember that running are "regular calls" is doing something important (I have to keep reminding my self that my place here for right now )
    Alan Romania, CEP
    God bless America and those who stand with us
    God have mercy on those who stand against us.

We have a team of four who are willing to go. All we can do now is get ready and wait for deployment. And right now waiting is such a hard thing to do.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

We too were asked yesterday while at work for volunteers. Everyone on A Shift volunteered not to mention the rest of the shifts that WILL volunteer. Our chief who is on the Critical Incident Stress Debriefing Team (CISD) left last night for NY. Perhaps we should form one huge task force?

Scott McLaurin
    FF3/EMT-I
    Engine Co.4
    Lumberton Fire Department

Thread Information