Thread: 800

Cort LaBlank
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default 800

The town next to us uses a trunked system. It works out very well and they have no complaints on it. They have a motorla system, i have heard it is much better than an ericson system. As far as the not being able to talk out of a basement, that hasnt been a problem here

Forum Member

Default OLdest Post on the Boards just got Bumped to the top

Oldest post on the boards just got bumped to the newest. :-) See what boredom does to me...

Forum Member

I bet things have changed since 1999!!! Either that or the people who designed that 800 Trunked system actually didn't have the heads up their asses. Wait, that isn't possible. It must have been built properly by accident. Must never happen again!!
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

IACOJ Agitator

We should hunt this guy down to get an update!
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

And we should thank him for getting the ball rolling here as well.

Big Par-tay I say!
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by FiftyOnePride
    And we should thank him for getting the ball rolling here as well.

Big Par-tay I say!
    I don't think it was thee first post, but rather the oldest one in the database. It looks like it was a reply to an existing thread, and I believe the Webteam said they purged the database of very old posts when they switched over to the new forums program...
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

Originally posted by Adze39

I don't think it was thee first post, but rather the oldest one in the database. It looks like it was a reply to an existing thread, and I believe the Webteam said they purged the database of very old posts when they switched over to the new forums program...
    Well lets thank him for that?

Still, BIG PAR-TAY I SAY!!
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

Default 800mhz. has problems

The department I work Fulltime For switched to 800mhz. about 5 years ago from low band communications - Alot of $$$$ was spent to up-grade and purchase Mobile and portable radios for 21 Fire Companies. Paging is still done on the low band Frequency and some stations were forced to utilize repeaters in and about the 154.mhz. range for paging. Over-All 800mhz. in our county BLOWS !!! Between units and the communications center there are many many dead spots and areas that make the radios go "Digital" {Meaning messages can not be transmitted or received {My district is especially bad} = We went to Alpha-Numeric Pagers for alarms but that has good and bad days as well. - Towers have been built in dead zones which has somewhat enhanced communications but generally it's poor. - We've had firefighters call for help inside structures and were never herd because of this wonderful system and EMS Units get into trouble and not being able to call out on portables. Someday maybe it will be fixed but who knows....I Personally wouldn't reccomend an 800 system but that's me based on what I've discovered since ours was implemented

Forum Member

Oh god. Tell your radio people to try reading the NFPA standard for radio communications. NEVER NEVER NEVER use a trunked system talkgroup for interior firefighting!! You should have a few non-trunked simplex channels for interior crews to use for talking with command outside. Ideally, there should be recievers on this channel for dispatch to monitor them but somehow I don't envision them doing that.

As for the rest of the problems, sounds typical to me. Chop the budget to the point where the system is useless and dangerous.

Forum Member

I work for the Department of Natural Resources here in Michigan and we use the 800 radios. Overall we don't have much problems with them. Once in a while you hit a dead spot but it rarely happens to myself or the people I work with. Overall I like the radios. I like to be able to talk to my supervisor when I am 200+ miles away and the cell phone doesn't get a signal.

Just my opinion and not everyone may agree.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote." -Benjamin franklin

"There is nothing wrong with America that can not be cured with what is right with America" -Henry Clay

Forum Member

Originally posted by Jesika
    I work for the Department of Natural Resources here in Michigan and we use the 800 radios. Overall we don't have much problems with them. Once in a while you hit a dead spot but it rarely happens to myself or the people I work with. Overall I like the radios. I like to be able to talk to my supervisor when I am 200+ miles away and the cell phone doesn't get a signal.

Just my opinion and not everyone may agree.
    Michigan's system was built rather well. What also helps is they allow individual towns to get onto the system. The towns basicly lease usage and the state gives them talkgroups. If the town needs more coverage, the town can put up their own towers to help. It directly benefits the locality but it also adds to the coverage of the whole system.

And thus we have the problem.

Motorola, Ericcson, etc sell the 800mhz system to City Managers who want to talk to their Chiefs anywhere in the city (or like the guy from Michigan said, to his supervisor 200 miles away).

If you're operating on the fireground and need to talk to someone 200 miles away, we have a problem. You just need to talk to the Officer-in-Charge. That OIC may in turn have people in planning or logistics functions that need to talk to someone 200 miles away, but you don't need nor want one system to do both.

Operations oriented radio networks have far different needs than Command-and-Control oriented networks.

Try to cram both into one bag, it's overly complicated and overly expensive, then you end up going, well OK, what could we cut from the system since we can't afford that quote.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile The View From Here.....................

INTEROPERABILITY!! Talk to the Cops, the Dogcatcher, the School Bus, the Sewer plant operator, the Mutual Aid Engine from 3 states downstream. FOR WHAT?? I DO NOT want that Capability. Period. All I want, or need, is RELIABLE communication between my people and my Communications Center. A System that allows every Tom, Dick, and Harriet to communicate with my Command Post is irresponsible.In my opinion, Interoperability is only benefitting the bottom line of organizations like Motorola. It does absolutely nothing for Firefighters. But, after all, what does Corporate America care about Firefighter's Safety??
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Originally posted by nmfire

Michigan's system was built rather well. What also helps is they allow individual towns to get onto the system. The towns basicly lease usage and the state gives them talkgroups. If the town needs more coverage, the town can put up their own towers to help. It directly benefits the locality but it also adds to the coverage of the whole system.
    I donít know if I agree. I can have a visual of the local tower and my radio still 'goes digital'. Sounds like a damn Nextel.

Iíve been told the system was built to have 98% mobile coverage. Does anyone know what other large systems have in comparison?

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Do What?..........

98% Coverage? The Fire/Rescue/EMS Service, along with Law Enforcement, must have 100% Coverage. That is NOT negotiable. If that was a dig at Nextel, how come? Nextel has better coverage that most FDs. AND Nextel is always willing to work with Public Safety to fix problems where Nextel's equipment is at fault.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Just referring to the audio quality. Nextel just has poor coverage in this area so you miss every other word in a conversation.

Forum Member

Default Re: Do What?..........

Originally posted by hwoods
    98% Coverage? The Fire/Rescue/EMS Service, along with Law Enforcement, must have 100% Coverage. That is NOT negotiable. If that was a dig at Nextel, how come? Nextel has better coverage that most FDs. AND Nextel is always willing to work with Public Safety to fix problems where Nextel's equipment is at fault.
    A few things here.

1. 98% is kick ***. There is virtually no such thing as 100% coverage on a wide-area system. I know it doesn't sound right but until you are involved in planning a radio system, you just have to believe it. It isn't practical.

2. 98% MOBILE coverage does not mean 98% PORTABLE coverage. To cover 98% of portables statewide would make the cost of it impractical and pretty uneccessary.

3. The michigan system was designed and built for 98% MOBILE coverage. The state never intended to built it for 98% portable coverage. Usually on a wide-area system like that, portable coverage is targeted to specific areas where it would be needed.

4. If you are a municipality that wants to get on the Michigan State system, you are free to have more towers/recievers put up in your locality at your cost. Then you can make the coverage in your area exactly what you want it to be. The state has no interest in portable coverage in Town X, why would they pay for it. You do, so you can pay for it. It is the "paying for it" part that usually prevents it. Someone decides it is not neccessay you end up with $hit.

5. It wouldn't surprise me if it IS NexTel that is causing the problems. My *** they are willing to fix it. Good luck.

6. NexTel should NEVER EVER EVER be relied upon as your primary form of communications for anything. They are a commercial service and their priority is not you, no matter what they claim in their advertisements. Of course they try to be accomodating. Do you have any idea how much money they rake in from public safety. It's the biggest sham going. And not only that, they increased their users which causes even more interference to the public safety systems. So what is the result, the FCC gives NexTel 10 million dollars worth of spectrum for free so they can move. I don't know about you, but I want nothing to do with that conglomerate of *******s.

7. Nextel has better coverage than most FD's. Well gee, the FD would have have equal if not better coverage if they raked in billions of dollars in profits every month. Maybe if the towns that dump thousands of dollars into NexTel bills used it to better their radio system instead, that wouldn't be a problem?

8. As for seeing the tower and not having it work well, do you KNOW that tower has a receiver for the talkgroup you are using? If it does, how far away are you? Chances are something else is interfering with it (probably nextel), your radio is bad, or you are just too far away.

The whole county here is on 800MHZ and there have been no Serious complaints. the Fire department use them for fireground comm's without a problem so far.

Thread Information