+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
    HIangleLT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I just got some pretty good news... I've just been assigned where my Dad started, st#17. Like you LT trk106, I got to enjoy a few years working for my Dad before he retired as Chief. Starting mon the 14th I'll be orienting a new Lt at that station. I hope they let me stay... they run alot of fires on a regular basis. Just wanted to spread the good news. Thanks again for all of your responses. T.C./B.S.

------------------
    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES
    '99 National Champs #1

FireIce
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Hello from a second generation firefighter from Canada. My dad and I are in the same dept together, him with 17 years of service and me with 3. I hope someday when I have children they will become volunteers too. It is very rewarding and it takes a very special person to do the job.
    Keep up the good work & stay safe.

hfd55
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I am a second generation FF, my father is a captain with the VFD fire dept. I run with now. I just recieved my state certs and am all ready applying for my first career postion, all at only 19 yrs of age.

McF 33
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm a 3rd generation in a way. My great uncle had passed the bug on to my father. However, my father "retired" when he was young. That was before I was even thought of. I joined a vol. department on my own and will never regret it. And an intresting side note I have 2 cousins (my fahters blood nephew's) who are also fire fighters. It has to be in the blood or something.

ENG86INE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I am a second generation firefighter. My dad was a volunteer for about 15 years, since then he had retired from answering the calls. I am in my 8th going into my 9th year as a volunteer. He was a captain in the department and so am I now, my 3rd year. I was always interested in the field, everytime his pager would go off I had always raced him to the door hoping he would take me to the firehouse to watch them leave and prayed i could go to. As I was getting involved with fire service he was leaving it. When i joined a new company I am in now, I tried getting him back into it, it didn't work. Currently Im trying to make this my career that I've always dreamed of. It is very interesting to read these about everyone coming into this profession.

Stay Safe and Take Care
    Capt 86

------------------

McCloskey
    Firehouse.com Guest

Right now I am 4th generation, with all seven in my dad's family running actively. Most of them currently hold positions from Chief on down through the administration. My younger brother just joined and there are two more wanting and waiting to join. We are carring on the tradition of running in the same fire house for another generation.

McCloskey

fyrgeek
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am a second generation firefighter. My dad is still a career ladderman in Logansport, IN. Fire Dept, (32 years)and I volunteer with North Star VFD, AK. the military brought me up here. This is my second dept, I was a volunteer with Gore Hill VFD just outsde Great Falls, MT. for over 5 years. My wife's dad was a career ff in Huntington Beach, CA area back in the 60's, stories about running in LA during the Watts Riots almost unreal. He got out of that and went on to ministering for the Salvation Army where he volunteered in Coos Bay/North Bend OR for a while when they lived there. We don't have any children yet, but I would hope to continue a tradition, however if it doesn't workout o'well.

Be Safe!

------------------
    Dennis Kuritz
    Firefighter/EMT
    North Star VFD

Ray34
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am a 2nd generation firefighter and my daughter is 3rd generation on the same dept.

HIangleLT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

To all replies,
    Thanks again to all of my dedicated brothers and sisters who opt to continue the tradition. t.c./b.s.

------------------
    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES
    '99 National Champs #1

mwg911man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

i did it *** backwards, but, have it straight now. I joined the volunteers first and then after a year my father joined. undoubtly, some of the best times we ever had together, outside of golf. my 18 year old son has been an EMT for two years and just joined me in the volunteer fire department. i just hope he enjoys it as much as i do.

------------------
    Mike

EXJAKE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Yeah, I guess I did it bass ackwards too!
    My older brother and I took the test together but I got appointed first Then he came on a couple years later. He drives the ladder truck on my group and is the cook.I was his boss.
    Then my Nephew came on and is now a lieutenant in the same department.
    It's fun working together but it can get complicated too!

------------------
    Good Luck and be careful out there,EXJAKE:-)

[This message has been edited by EXJAKE (edited February 25, 2000).]

chief4102
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

My dad was with the same departnent as I am for 60 years. I've with them for 33 years. We both held the rank of Chief for a number of years. I hope that my son and daughters will also "take up te gauntlet" and become part of the firefighting family.

Be Safe
    Dan

EXJAKE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

HEY!! Look what I found a photo of Larry,Curly,and Moe!!

------------------
    Good Luck and be careful out there,EXJAKE:-)

bfd1071
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm a true 4th generation Boston firefighter. My Greatgrandfather started out in 1912. My grandfather in 1944 along with an Uncle, my Dad started in 1969, and is still an active member. I was appointed to the Boston fire dept in 1998. As far as i know I am the only true 4th generation firefighter Bosotn has on the active roster, I do not count my uncle as a generation. I only count Father's.

HIangleLT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

BFD1071 HATS OFF TO YOU! I don't think anyone will disagree that that is some kind of heritage. Keep the faith, Brother.

------------------
    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES
    '99 National Champs #1

stffa
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I am a second generation Volunteer. My Dad is an Asst. Chief and is in charge or our Station 1 (of 3 in our department). He has served for 23 years and is still going strong. I joined three years ago after completing my obligations to the USAF (where I served as a security police officer. I changed sides and am now a Lt, also assigned to our department's Station 1. It is a great honor to serve with and learn from one of the best, my father.

My younger brother, a fire inspector with the city fire department got his start 10 years ago as a vollie at our station 1. He moved to the carear department and fought fires for 8 years before moving to the inspectors' division a year ago.

My Stepfathers' dad was also a carear fire fighther retiring from the city department as a Captain.

ffdoneng62
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I don't know if I am 2nd or not cause my older brothers were before me, anyway my father was a vollie for 50 years and retired as deputy chief in 1991 at the age of 59 due to throat cancer. my brothers' stopped after they got married. I am married and have proudly serving my 15th year as a vollie myself. I am 28 years old and have a daughter and son that really love to ride the trucks. they are 8 & 6 and I hope at least one of them continues the "family tradition"

------------------

ffdoneng62
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I don't know if I am 2nd or not cause my older brothers were before me, anyway my father was a vollie for 50 years and retired as deputy chief in 1991 at the age of 59 due to throat cancer. my brothers' stopped after they got married. I am married and have proudly serving my 15th year as a vollie myself. I am 28 years old and have a daughter and son that really love to ride the trucks. they are 8 & 6 and I hope at least one of them continues the "family tradition"

------------------

Smoke Damaged
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I am 3rd Generation FF. My dad was a Vol FF and then Asst Chief in our hometown Fire Company in Pa. His dad was the President of the Company when they purchases a Seagrave pumper in the late 20's. The Grandfater had several brothers who were members of the Company.

My father's oldest brother was Chief in Langhorn Pa in the 50's. Both of my brothers are FF's also. The middle one is a Civil Service FF in Md and a Vollie. The youngest hasn't left home and is the Engine Capt for the Company WE ALL began with.

The forth generation is almost a year old now. My son is a vollie with us here in NC. He just finished the last of his classes for his firefighter certification.

NOFEAR-N-HERE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

2nd. gen. my father retired as Lt. after 20 yrs. I'm going on 5 yrs as a vol. My only regret is that I did'nt realize firefighting was in my blood until I was too old to be hired as a career firefighter! Oh we'll I still enjoy the brotherhood of being a vol. firefighter!!

IACOJ Agitator

I'm 2nd generation.

My father is a retired LT from my department and my father-in-law is a retired captain from Milford, CT.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

I started in the fire service five years ago, and just this year my father joined and started to follow my footsteps. Does that make me or him the second generation firefighter? Anyway there are two generations in my family.

Atleast a third generation, not sure beyond that. My brother and I were the only male members of our family that were not. I have always had the craving to be one but just joind the volly dept. in October. Very sorry I didn't join before now. My daughter is wild about fire fighters and will probably be one!

Forum Member

Talking

Third generation here! My grandfather is still active volly with 50+ years of service. My father is career County Chief here. I am a firefighter pushing 5 years of service here. I love it. I wouldn't mind if my children were to follow in my footsteps, but I wouldn't be offended if they didn't. My younger brother is now a firefighter with about a year on the job too!

Stay safe all!

*Mark

Forum Member

Talking

Third generation here! My grandfather is still active volly with 50+ years of service. My father is career County Chief here. I am a firefighter pushing 5 years of service here. I love it. I wouldn't mind if my children were to follow in my footsteps, but I wouldn't be offended if they didn't. My younger brother is now a firefighter with about a year on the job too!

Stay safe all!

*Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

Thread Information