I am a 2nd generation in a small volunteer department. Though my grandfather was not a member, most of my great uncle's were, which got my father interested. He joined when we was fourteen as a junior. He worked is way up and became a Deputy Chief before he decided to go back to just being a member and spending time with his family. At age fourteen I followed in his footsteps and also joined at age 14, and now have been a member for 10 years. I am glad he got me into it, and we still go to meetings and sometimes calls together. It is great!

RRR

Smile

My Dad has been in the fire service for about 20 years now, I joined at age 17 and have been in almost 9 years, my sister was in for 5 years and is now a nurse and a paramedic --- the three of us were at incident scenes together over a four year period. I've been on a line with both my Dad and my sister. I'm currently trying to become a career f/f.

I am a second generation FF with my department. My brother is also a member. Our dad retired as District Chief with about 23 yrs in. I plan to keep the tradition alive. I am also looking to make this a career.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

I am a 3rd generation firefighter. My father was a volunteer firefighter and my grandfather was a forest firefighter up in Montana several years ago. I am currently a volly myself but am testing for a couple of paid departments. I hope my spawn will continue this tradition.

Also we still carry one of those 15 minute MSA shoulder slung SCBAs. Stays in the plastic green box still. It's for extreme backup emergency when all else fails and nothing else will work including holding your breath and praying.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: RyanEMVFD ]

NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

My father was a wildland firefighter 25 or 30 years ago with the Ecology Corps, back in the day when they didn't have shake 'n' bakes. He has a couple stories to tell about it.
    My aunt was a paramedic in Oakland and is currently a fire marshall in Eugene. she has quite a few stories to tell.
    Mom was a vollie back home before we moved to Chi-Town. it's in the blood.
    I've been trying to talk my brother Tom in to joining, 'cause he would be good at it, but he wants to be an accountant.
    I've also got a brother who is going into police academy, but I don't talk to him for obvious reasons.

Then there's me.

2nd gen.......my Dad was a vollie for RIVERBANK FIRE DEPT before the switch over to the county wide FD STANISLAUS COSILADATED..... He served for 8 years... was gonna be a captian... then we had to move..... he moved to modesto......THEY DIDNT need anymore FF.....they were a PAID DEPT.....

Forum Member

Hello all, Im 1st generation, followed closely by my oldest daughter, Also my Greatgrand father built the 1st fire engine for Moncton N.B. Hey Fireice Its good to see some local support here finaly

I am a third, myself, my dad ,and my grand father worked in the same section of the city and I now work on the same truck that my grandfather retired from. Dad is still on the job, we are on seperate shifts though.
    Go raibh maith agat Go gcuire Dia an t-ádh ort! Dyfal donc a dyrr y garreg!!!!!

IN MEMORY OF THE "MOOSE" 1974-2002<br />Ni bheidh mo leitheid ar'ris ann.

Brothers till the end. "If they don't have GUINNESS in heaven we aint goin!"

Second here. My father was a vollie for 25 years. It gets in your blood.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I am a 3rd generation Firefighter in South Carolina. My grandfather was Chief of Department with the Saint Andrews Fire Department and my father was a Deputy Chief of the North Charleston District Fire Department. I am now a Captain with the City of North Charleston Fire Department. All of these departments are or were located in the Charleston area of South Carolina.

My grandfather passed away in 1973 and my father retired in 1989. I have another 17 years to go until I can kick back!
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

My Grandfather, Father(since retired),myself and my brother all work or worked for the same dept. North Central Fire Dist. Sadly though my brother Kirk was killed in a freak accident while on duty this past July.I am defintly going to continue the tradition and I will do my best to see to it that Kirk's son Kaleb and my daughter will join someday.

2nd generation. Dad's in 45 years, I'm in 23. Both were Chief of Departments at the same time in neighboring companies. I was never more proud then when we worked together on a job, side by side. I think he was pretty proud, too.

Talking

I am a 2nd generation FF. My dad served in the same dept. as I do, serving as Lt, Capt, and Asst Chief before finally giving it up. I have two brothers on this department, and there are 6 other guys who are on that are 2nd and 3rd, and all of their dad's are still with the department today........
    JMK271
    These opinions are my own and not those of the department in which I serve.

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

My great-great grandfather was a chief in a Westchester County NY fire department. My uncle was a FDNY captain. I have 4 cousins in FDNY. Don't know what generation, if any, that makes me. I hope that someday if I have kids one of them will want to volunteer or go the career route. Volunteering has provided a great deal of enjoyment for me. But I will not force it on them
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Keepin it real

I'm a second generation FF also, My dad has been a memeber for the past 45 years and out of that career for 28. I've been in the service for the last 21 years and 15 years out of that is career. An d my three daughters have got the same bug for firefighting that I have.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

I am 3rd generation volllie, first generation paid/career.

3rd generation here. I'm the only one to go paid so far. Had a granfather whith 47 years. Also have uncle(34yrs),dad(34yrs),two brothers(4yrs,2yrs), one brother inlaw(7yrs),and multiple cousins.

Forum Member

Cool

3rd generation here as well. My grandfather was a volunteer for a small dept. My dad is a volunteer for a city dept. I just hired on the the paid side of the same city dept. as my dad volunteers on. Kinda scary, two of my family on the same dept. Anyway, my mom is also a firefighter/emt, my little brother was a volunteer for a little while, my wife is a paramedic, and now the youngest of my twin daughters tells me "she wants to be a fireman" too(the other twin wants to be a firedog - I dunno?). Guess is must be in the blood. Wouldn't have it any other way.
    Life is only temporary, but freedom goes on forever. God bless those who gave all.

Forum Member

Second Generation here. My dad was a paid-on-call firefighter in Illinois and my experience started with him at age 21.

I remember riding "tailboard" with dad, back when tailboard riding was still legal. Dad called his turnout coat a "slicker". It looked like a slicker. It looked like rubberized canvas with the buckle/clasps down the front. He wore three-quarter boots. Bunker pants weren't around then.

I made my first fatal house fire with my dad. I remember having a talk about that fatal fire with my dad at our kitchen table that night. He poured me a shot of whiskey and I think that is the first time I ever drank with my dad.

My dad turns 70 this month and still loves the fire service. Firefighter/paramedics from Dallas saved his life from a heart attack Labor Day Weekend of this year. He wants me to take him to their station to bring them some ice cream, and say thanks.

I have two uncles that were in the fire service and three uncles that were police officers. Public Service has been a family tradition. I am proud to be a part of the fire service.

God Bless my Brothers and Sisters,
    joejoe33

Comments and opinions are mine and do not represent the agency or IAFF local that I am affiliated with.

Cool

2nd generation firefighter here. My Dad is a retired Lt. from the East Providence Fire Department (RI) and I have been a volly for 21 years.

www.bdvfd.org

Tower Power!

I am a 3rd generation firefighter. My Grandfather was chief at a station near me. And my Great Uncles were FF's in Philadelphia. For some reason it skipped my dad.

Third generation here. My grandfather was a career Lt. on a small dept. My father was hired on and moved through the ranks quickly to Asst.Chief of the Dept. My father then moved to a chiefs job at another career dept. In the meantime, my grandfather retired at the rank of Lt. I worked career at the dept. where my dad was chief for 5yrs. before relocating to my current dept. where i am a driver/operator. My dad has since retired with 30yrs. service and I am in my 13th year as a career firefighter/paramedic. My son loves the fire service, but I don't really know if it will be a career choice for him.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

2nd generation here, but I have three uncles, and four cousins active in the service. I also had a great grandfather who started all of this in my family.
    My dad still serves actively and we all love doing what firefighters do best....serve others!
    Dan - FMBA Local 64 Pennsauken Township.(The views and opinions stated above are personal and not that of any organizations I belong to)Yada, Yada, Yada...(Y-a-a-w-w-n!)

I am second generation. My father is a firefighter and my uncle is a chief.
    "Real Heros wear SCBA, Not Capes!"<br />

<a href="http://www.newhollandfire.net" target="_blank">www.newholland fire.net</a> **department website**

<a href="http://www.lancasterfire.com" target="_blank">www.lancasterf ire.com</a><br />**county website**

District Chief

My father (god rest his soul) was a Forest Warden for The Virginia Department of Forestry and a volunteer firefighter.

I was a volunteer and career firefighter in Virginia and now a volunteer in Florida.

My son is a volunteer in Virginia, seeking a career job.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information