Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

My Grandfather, Father(since retired),myself and my brother all work or worked for the same dept. North Central Fire Dist. Sadly though my brother Kirk was killed in a freak accident while on duty this past July.I am defintly going to continue the tradition and I will do my best to see to it that Kirk's son Kaleb and my daughter will join someday.

2nd generation. Dad's in 45 years, I'm in 23. Both were Chief of Departments at the same time in neighboring companies. I was never more proud then when we worked together on a job, side by side. I think he was pretty proud, too.

Talking

I am a 2nd generation FF. My dad served in the same dept. as I do, serving as Lt, Capt, and Asst Chief before finally giving it up. I have two brothers on this department, and there are 6 other guys who are on that are 2nd and 3rd, and all of their dad's are still with the department today........
    JMK271
    These opinions are my own and not those of the department in which I serve.

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

My great-great grandfather was a chief in a Westchester County NY fire department. My uncle was a FDNY captain. I have 4 cousins in FDNY. Don't know what generation, if any, that makes me. I hope that someday if I have kids one of them will want to volunteer or go the career route. Volunteering has provided a great deal of enjoyment for me. But I will not force it on them
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

I'm a second generation FF also, My dad has been a memeber for the past 45 years and out of that career for 28. I've been in the service for the last 21 years and 15 years out of that is career. An d my three daughters have got the same bug for firefighting that I have.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

I am 3rd generation volllie, first generation paid/career.

3rd generation here. I'm the only one to go paid so far. Had a granfather whith 47 years. Also have uncle(34yrs),dad(34yrs),two brothers(4yrs,2yrs), one brother inlaw(7yrs),and multiple cousins.

Cool

3rd generation here as well. My grandfather was a volunteer for a small dept. My dad is a volunteer for a city dept. I just hired on the the paid side of the same city dept. as my dad volunteers on. Kinda scary, two of my family on the same dept. Anyway, my mom is also a firefighter/emt, my little brother was a volunteer for a little while, my wife is a paramedic, and now the youngest of my twin daughters tells me "she wants to be a fireman" too(the other twin wants to be a firedog - I dunno?). Guess is must be in the blood. Wouldn't have it any other way.
    Life is only temporary, but freedom goes on forever. God bless those who gave all.

Second Generation here. My dad was a paid-on-call firefighter in Illinois and my experience started with him at age 21.

I remember riding "tailboard" with dad, back when tailboard riding was still legal. Dad called his turnout coat a "slicker". It looked like a slicker. It looked like rubberized canvas with the buckle/clasps down the front. He wore three-quarter boots. Bunker pants weren't around then.

I made my first fatal house fire with my dad. I remember having a talk about that fatal fire with my dad at our kitchen table that night. He poured me a shot of whiskey and I think that is the first time I ever drank with my dad.

My dad turns 70 this month and still loves the fire service. Firefighter/paramedics from Dallas saved his life from a heart attack Labor Day Weekend of this year. He wants me to take him to their station to bring them some ice cream, and say thanks.

I have two uncles that were in the fire service and three uncles that were police officers. Public Service has been a family tradition. I am proud to be a part of the fire service.

God Bless my Brothers and Sisters,
    joejoe33

Comments and opinions are mine and do not represent the agency or IAFF local that I am affiliated with.

Cool

2nd generation firefighter here. My Dad is a retired Lt. from the East Providence Fire Department (RI) and I have been a volly for 21 years.

www.bdvfd.org

Tower Power!

I am a 3rd generation firefighter. My Grandfather was chief at a station near me. And my Great Uncles were FF's in Philadelphia. For some reason it skipped my dad.

Third generation here. My grandfather was a career Lt. on a small dept. My father was hired on and moved through the ranks quickly to Asst.Chief of the Dept. My father then moved to a chiefs job at another career dept. In the meantime, my grandfather retired at the rank of Lt. I worked career at the dept. where my dad was chief for 5yrs. before relocating to my current dept. where i am a driver/operator. My dad has since retired with 30yrs. service and I am in my 13th year as a career firefighter/paramedic. My son loves the fire service, but I don't really know if it will be a career choice for him.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

2nd generation here, but I have three uncles, and four cousins active in the service. I also had a great grandfather who started all of this in my family.
    My dad still serves actively and we all love doing what firefighters do best....serve others!
    Dan - FMBA Local 64 Pennsauken Township.(The views and opinions stated above are personal and not that of any organizations I belong to)Yada, Yada, Yada...(Y-a-a-w-w-n!)

I am second generation. My father is a firefighter and my uncle is a chief.
    "Real Heros wear SCBA, Not Capes!"<br />

<a href="http://www.newhollandfire.net" target="_blank">www.newholland fire.net</a> **department website**

<a href="http://www.lancasterfire.com" target="_blank">www.lancasterf ire.com</a><br />**county website**

My father (god rest his soul) was a Forest Warden for The Virginia Department of Forestry and a volunteer firefighter.

I was a volunteer and career firefighter in Virginia and now a volunteer in Florida.

My son is a volunteer in Virginia, seeking a career job.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Cool

Second generation. My dad joined the Philadelphia Fire Department immediately after the Marine Corps, and was there for 30 years - E35, L25.
    "Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

Don't know whether I'm 2nd or 3rd generation.
    My dad (RIP) was a volunteer for 44 years and was Treasurer of his company for 40 of them.
    I married into a fire company where my father in law was Chief and his father also served as Chief.
    So I could be either, I guess. All I know is that I wouldn't want to do anything else with my spare (?) time.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

2nd generation here, 1st generation paid. My grandfather was a vollie way back when and then became the Co Sherriff. I didn't know that he was a firefighter until after I started. I'm not sure that I want my son to follow me or not, even though his first ride on an engine was when he was 2 months old. I kind of hope he goes into engineering and then he can help prevent fires on that side.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: opie5461 ]

Talking

My Father and I are currently serving in the same department right now. He was a Assistant chief for about 5 years, and is now safty officer. I've been doing this since 18 (I'm 22 now). My brother did it before getting married and moving away. I also have two uncles who are also in this department as well, with my one uncle who served as cheif. And my aunt was a driver during the day for the trucks and ambulance.

In my department we do have several familes serving together. It is really neat with Fathers/sons (sorry not Father/daughter or mother/daughter....yet..Do have a Mother/Son ).

Kyle
    ***My Views ONLY***
    www.chalfontfireco.com
    Kyle
    www.chalfontfireco.com

Talking

My Father and I are currently serving in the same department right now. He was a Assistant chief for about 5 years, and is now safty officer. I've been doing this since 18 (I'm 22 now). My brother did it before getting married and moving away. I also have two uncles who are also in this department as well, with my one uncle who served as cheif. And my aunt was a driver during the day for the trucks and ambulance.

In my department we do have several familes serving together. It is really neat with Fathers/sons (sorry not Father/daughter or mother/daughter....yet..Do have a Mother/Son ).

Kyle
    ***My Views ONLY***
    www.chalfontfireco.com
    Kyle
    www.chalfontfireco.com

Thread Information