Forum Member

Cool

Second generation. My dad joined the Philadelphia Fire Department immediately after the Marine Corps, and was there for 30 years - E35, L25.
    "Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

Forum Member

Don't know whether I'm 2nd or 3rd generation.
    My dad (RIP) was a volunteer for 44 years and was Treasurer of his company for 40 of them.
    I married into a fire company where my father in law was Chief and his father also served as Chief.
    So I could be either, I guess. All I know is that I wouldn't want to do anything else with my spare (?) time.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

2nd generation here, 1st generation paid. My grandfather was a vollie way back when and then became the Co Sherriff. I didn't know that he was a firefighter until after I started. I'm not sure that I want my son to follow me or not, even though his first ride on an engine was when he was 2 months old. I kind of hope he goes into engineering and then he can help prevent fires on that side.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: opie5461 ]

Talking

My Father and I are currently serving in the same department right now. He was a Assistant chief for about 5 years, and is now safty officer. I've been doing this since 18 (I'm 22 now). My brother did it before getting married and moving away. I also have two uncles who are also in this department as well, with my one uncle who served as cheif. And my aunt was a driver during the day for the trucks and ambulance.

In my department we do have several familes serving together. It is really neat with Fathers/sons (sorry not Father/daughter or mother/daughter....yet..Do have a Mother/Son ).

Kyle
    ***My Views ONLY***
    www.chalfontfireco.com
    Kyle
    www.chalfontfireco.com

Talking

My Father and I are currently serving in the same department right now. He was a Assistant chief for about 5 years, and is now safty officer. I've been doing this since 18 (I'm 22 now). My brother did it before getting married and moving away. I also have two uncles who are also in this department as well, with my one uncle who served as cheif. And my aunt was a driver during the day for the trucks and ambulance.

In my department we do have several familes serving together. It is really neat with Fathers/sons (sorry not Father/daughter or mother/daughter....yet..Do have a Mother/Son ).

Kyle
    ***My Views ONLY***
    www.chalfontfireco.com
    Kyle
    www.chalfontfireco.com

Thumbs up

The fire service has been in my family for as long as anyone can remember. It started with my grandfather who ret. paid cheif and still vol. he has 45 yrs of service, my father a capt. has been on the line for 20 yrs, my uncle is a capt as well and has been on the line for 17 yrs. My self I have been on the line 5 yrs, and my brother has been on the line for 1 yrs now. I also had an anut that was on the line for 15 or so yrs and a cousin that was on for 10 yrs. I hope that my kids will follow the family and fight fire. (they won't if mom has anything to say they will be doctors and lawyers )
    Stay Safe and remember to put the wet stuff on the red stuff

My Dad has been on the job for 18 yrs. I grew up in the station washing the trucks and going on calls with him. And I am proud to say that I now work for the same department that I grew up around. I have been on the job for almost 2 yrs. And hopefully when I have kids they too will be part of this wonderful Brotherhood/Sisterhood that I love to say I am part of.

Cool

Tradition is one of the Fire Service's best traits, and it seems that is true here. I am a second generation FF. I've been a volunteer for three years now and I am the son of the city's paid department's chief. I think my little brother is thinking of joining the department, he just turned 18.

Keep safe and keep 'em wet.
    FF 352 J. Strange

Cool

Paternal Grandfather was Chief of the Manasquan Engine Co 2 for many years. Was either Chief or member when Moro Castle (I think this was the ocean liner) came aground at Asbury Park N.J., and responded with my Dad and my uncle. My father joined the Navy during the war and just didn't return to the fire house.

After he got his degree in mechanical engineering he moved to Philadelphia area and when I was old enough I joined the local volunteer department in 1975. Shortly after I joined my older brother and when he became old enough my younger brother joined. My younger brother is still a volunteer in a Bucks County Company.

I am now a career fire marshal for a Township just outside Philadelphia. Have spent my entire adult life as a volunteer and career fire service member in PA and MD, and I hope that my two daughters do what ever makes them happy. If that is the fire service then that's okay with me.

Talking

I have been a volunteer for 17 years now, I started my career late in life. However what has made me most proud is that both of my sons have decided to join the same company as myself. I never really tried to influence them to join, but it appears somehow or another it just wore off on them. Joys in life come in many different ways, but none is greater than sharing this experience with them. At the age of 50, and still being active, I am looking forward to what the future has to hold for all three of us. To all be well, and be safe.

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

i'm kinda of a 2nd generation
    my dad was on a different dept for about a year. then where he works at he's on "fire watch"(which is a in house f.d.)
    but almost all the guys in my dept are 2nd generation firefighters. pretty much in my community if your dad a firefighter you'll become a firefighter.(Its not always that way but most of the time)

Im not yet a secind degree firefighter but in a couple of years I will be I think my brother is also planning on going into the firefighting business.
    LADIES LOVE ME.
    FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

If you wish to burn our flag please remember to wrap yourself in it first!!!

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

Forum Member

I am a second gen firefighter
    my dad is my assnt.cheif(20+years) and i am a firefighter(4 years)
    my grandfather helped start the dept.
    what can i say i was raised around it and i love it
    2197 10-8
    stay safe have fun stay healthy
    9-11-01 let there loss not be in vain
    2197 10-8<br />stay safe have fun stay healthy<br />
    nc firefighter/emt-d
    RFB-FTM

Well, there is a generation gap, but ALL of my mom's uncle's on her mom side plus many of her cousins are philadelphia city FFs and paramedics
    There are three truths in life:

1. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
    2. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
    3. Two Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

MembersZone Subscriber

i am a fifth generation firefighter, my great great uncle was a founding father of my company and department, everyone before me served as a past captain, and currently my grandfather is the oldest life member of our department, my father is the youngest life member in our company, and i am the first female in my department's history.

BOXER-AFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

LIKE MOST OF YOU, I TOO AM A SECOND GENERATION FIREFIGHTER. MY DAD RETIRED AS AN ASST. CHIEF FROM MY DEPT. BACK IN 1990. I SERVED 4-YRS AS A VOLLIE BEFORE HIRING ON FULL-TIME HERE. I RECENTLY WAS PROMOTED TO CAPTAIN LAST APRIL.
    WE HAVE SEVERAL 2ND GENERATION MEMBERS IN OUR DEPT., IT'S LIKE SOMEONE ALREADY SAID..."IT GETS IN YOUR BLOOD"
    I HAVE TWO SMALL SONS - AGES 5 AND 2 - AND BOTH LOVE TO COME DOWN TO THE FIREHOUSE TO SEE THE BIG TRUCKS. MAYBE IT'LL GET IN THEIR BLOOD TOO

I am personally a 3rd generation firefighter, my grandfather founded the volly dept I started on then moved on to be chief at a paid dept near the coast. I spent a year and a half on the volly dept he founded now I am paid, but still go back occasionally on days off to help out and run calls.
    When the defecation hits the oscillation I'll be there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Well, my grandfather was an Airport FF and I'm a volie working in getting full time! I don't think that there ever was anyone else in my family that was a FF.... food for thought!
    Joel

Lets never forget the events of 9-11

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

MembersZone Subscriber

My dad started as a volunteer 33 yrs ago. The dept eventually became paid-on-call. I am the stereotypical firehouse rat. I started with the dept. in 1994. Coincedentally, after many years working in operations at 2 chemical plants, my dad transferred into the Safety & Loss Prevention Dept.(insustrial fire & ems) of his current employer. I was hired into his dept. there in 1997. He is now my shift captain at work, but I'm the Lt. at home. I have 3 small boys who love to hang out at the firehouse. Could history repeat itself? I can only hope. Thanks for letting me share.
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

Thumbs up

I am a 3rd generation firefighter. It started with my grandfather, followed by my uncle and father. then me. My grandfather and uncle were both asst. fire cheifs. They were the first father, son to ever be in the same cheifs office, in our county. My father was a fire captain. My grandfather and father have now since retired from the fire service, my uncle however is still going strong. He is a state insturctor, and a carrer firefighter, I hope to follow in his footsteps and keep the tradition alive.

Cool

I am as far as i know a second generation FF...my dad is currently the chief at our department, and my grandfather is there too, along with his brother who was a charter member...but its my mothers father...my dads father may have also been one, but, he died when my dad, now 47, was three. so im not sure if im 2nd or 3rd, but im related to at least 5-6 of the guys in there too, hopefully my rambling didnt lose ya

Adam Keener
    Dayton District VFD
    Dayton, PA

bke

Hi Everybody,

I hope I can get in here even though I am not a FF yet. I still have 1.5 to 2 years of college left. My Dad was a vollie for 13.5 years. First with the city I grew up in and then the county. My plans are to go into the fire service after school. That is all I ever wanted to be. My Dad and I haven't discussed my plan yet but I think he knows. There is always one thing we can talk about and that is firefighting. It is a very good thing. I'm trying to learn as much from you guys and girls (and my Dad) about the job as I can. Thanks for letting me butt in here and making me feel welcome to the forums in the past year.

Stay safe, stay low,
    BKE

I am a third generation firefighter. My grandfather was a chief, so was my father and now I am moving up the ranks and hopefully one day be in that position. what can I say, Its in the blood.

I am a 3rd Gen firefighter. My Grandfather was a cop and a volunteer firefighter. My father was a firefighter for 36 yrs and Chief of the dept for 17 yrs until he was killed in a car accident in 1996. I am in my 3rd year as a member of the same small town fire dept.

We are a small rural community with 32 volunteers. Some of you probabally answer more calls in a day, then we do in a year. In fact we probabally spend more time drinking beer then fighting fires. But this doesn't take away the pride and how serious my Dad took his job as Chief. I have just been elected Sec/Treas of the dept, and will continue to make this dept the best it can be.

Growing up washing trucks, hanging around the fire station, and getting up with your Dad for that 3:00 am call never leaves you.

Thanks for the great posts. Stay safe.

3rd generation here currently 12 years on the job father was 30 yr vet his father was 30 and currently have 4 cousins on the job representing 4 different departments. stay safe FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB

Thread Information