+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 First ... 23456 Last
    Forum Member

Default Tunkhannock

I was a member of the Tunkhannock VFD for 14 years. Would you consider scanning in the picture and sending it to me? I would like to see what vehicle he's in the photo with. I no longer live in Tunkhannock, but they still have a GREAT VFD, very progressive.
    ejm3three@yahoo.com
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by kfdffrab
    I am at least a 3rd generation firefighter! I have been a voluteer on and off since 1977 and am also a creer industrial FF with the Kodak Fire Dept. My father, now retired, was a volunteer for 45+ years as well as a firefighter in Korea. My mother was one of the first women in the county to go through the Essentials of Firemanship class in the late 50's. I remember her driving the old open cab pumper. I have a picture of my mother's father with the Tunkhannock, Pa. fire departments new 1927 pumper. I have a picture of my father's father in dress uniform with the Owego Fire Dept, Owego, NY probably from the early to mid 1920's. I also tell everyone that my blood is fire engine red. I have a daughter (14) and a son (13). The daughter wants to be a teacher and the son doesn't know what he wants yet. Time will tell! Stay safe and enjoy!

P.S. Great topic!!

[This message has been edited by kfdffrab (edited February 03, 2000).]

Forum Member

I am a third generation volunteer firefighter. My Grandpa is still active and drives the Rescue Truck everyday. My two uncles and my father are still very active. THE only third generation family in CTFD history!

the 4-1-4

I am a third generation professional firefighter, as is my brother.

Forum Member

i am a third generation firefighter
    my grandfather was a ff for a long time, and he was even assistant chief for like 10 years. he only drives the truck now (hes like 60 now).
    my dad was a ff for a while, and he is going to be one of the officers soon (lieutenent or captain) both of my uncles, along with my dad, were part of one of the most active groups of ff's in the area. i also have a (lets see here....) my grandpa's brother's son in law is a career ff.

Forum Member

Im a first generation along with two of my other brothers whom used to be volunteers like me.
    My father has some firefighting knowledge however because he was in the Royal Malaysian Navy.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I am second generation. My dad was a firefighter in 2 different volly FD's and his time spannedalmost 30 years. I started as a volly, served on 2 FD's, worked part-time for another, went career as an ARFF firefighter, then moved on to a municipal FD.

My oldest son is soon to be a cadet at my volly FD so it will go 3 generations.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, what a blast from the past....

Anyway, I am the second generation. My father was part of the original crew that started the Township Fire Department back in 1955. The surrounding townships around the city formed their own because when the city came out, they came with 500 gallons of water and 4 guys.

They started with one truck kept at one of the guys garage until they actually got a "station" at the town shop building. Now it has grown to include 5 townships, 5 stations each with an engine, tanker, brush truck and rescue, as well as some specialized rescue equipment. I have his badges and a department patch from back then and have them in a display case, looks pretty cool.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

5th for me

Forum Member

Off the top of my head, there are at least 20 out of 85 guys on my dept who are at least 2nd generation, their dad's working for various depts. 5 of them are second gen within the dept (2 are brothers). There are another 2 sets of brothers within the dept, and I know at least 10 guys, while first gen themselves, have brothers on the job.

I'm first gen, my dad was a cop.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

No ***** a blast from the past 6-year old thread, last post in 2002

Neat stories though.

Quote Originally Posted by EPFD-AL
    My family came to the US from the Netherlands in 1856. My 23 year old son is a seventh generation firefighter, and he has great-great-grandpa's 1896 bed keys and Chief's speaking trumpet.
    Now THAT'S tradition!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

well, my great grandfather was a vollie firefighter b4 the city even got a paid department. then my grandfather was on the paid and made it to captain b4 he retired. my dad then joined and retired as Chief. I currently have a Uncle who is a Chief of another department and a cousin who is Deputy Chief on the same dept as my grandfathers and dad. i am a vollie untill i get my degree and go to paramedic school. then i will join the paid department. so idk what generation that makes me. 4th??????

Forum Member

3rd generation. My Grandfather, dad, uncles and brother are all firefighters. There's nothing like being in a fire with your brother and dad.
    28 P.R.I.D.E.
    Protecting Residents In District #1 Everyday
    www.westmead1.com

Forum Member

I am offically 2nd generation. My Dad retired 2 years ago from Montgemery County Fire and Rescue,MD. I work as a career LT for Garner FD, in Garner,NC. I have a couple of 2nd cousins that retired from Indianapolis FD on my Dad's side and a Great Uncle on my Mom's side that was a long time Asst. Chief for a vollie dept in MD. My wife's brother is also a career fireman, and her uncle just retired from Charlotte FD. So when we have children I pray that they to love the fire service as much as I do and that they have a career in it.

KTF-EGH

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PumpOperator
    I am a third generation volunteer firefighter. My Grandpa is still active and drives the Rescue Truck everyday. My two uncles and my father are still very active. THE only third generation family in CTFD history!
    Really...?
    Last edited by john1545; 04-24-2006 at 07:00 PM.

Forum Member

I'm a third generation volunteer and I'm hoping to be a first generation paid firefighter.

Forum Member

I am first generation. If I ever have a daughter I would love it if she became a Firefighter (but if she doesn't, I'd still support her career goals). Then we'd have generations of Female Firefighters, something that you don't see too often.
    Never forget our fallen brothers and sisters.

You know you're a female firefighter when you don't worry about your butt looking too big in your bunker pants.

Forum Member

My Dad joined the local volunteer fire department when I was an infant. Almost 40 years later, I am proud to say that I am a career member of the same department..However my Dad made it to Assitant Chief. I am still a blue shirt. My uncle was also a fierfighter on another department. Both my Dad and Uncle were also paramedics. Back when EMS was brand spanking new.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

My Great, great, great grandfather was a member of my department when it was started, my grandfather was a FF in the navy during WW2, then it skips a generation...but here I am...so I guess that would make me pseudo 5th generation.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by john1545
    Really...?

Funny John W.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Long Time

My great greats came to Kingston, New York from Germany during the Civil War. They were part of the first volunteer fire company and eventually charter members of Kingston's first paid department. Firefighters every generation since.
    Last edited by Shoreman22; 04-24-2006 at 10:21 PM.
    Proud member of the IACOJ.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you....

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

Forum Member

Fourth Generation - Same Department.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

I am a second generation firefighter.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm third generation two of my son's are FFs one is a Paramedic/FF, he is the only paid one of us. My grandfather had a party phone line, when there was a fire the phone had a special ring and all would respond.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Early Adopter

Does it count as second generation if it skipped one along the way. My maternal grandfather was chief of the volunteers in the town where he lived. My old man went the wrong direction and became a cop. I had to pick up where my grandfather left off. If I have kids... Well, at the rate I'm going, there'll be no fires left when they're old enough to join up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Small Volunteer Department

I am the Third generation on our small rural all volunteer department
    My son joined this year making the first fourth generation member.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 First ... 23456 Last

Thread Information