Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    spotthedalmation
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm trying to make heads and tails out of this thread... It's obvious that everyone believes their tool is the best thing since toilet paper, but some of these claims are a little outrageous...

I think before you go bad mouthing a tool, you need to remember that more than half of any tool is the operator. I've cut things I couldn't imagine doing with the Hurst tools with a TNT tool. I've also bound a TNT tool in a place where a Hurst would cut it. I think it all boils down to your experience with a tool. I'm sure now that if I go back to the Hurst Set-Up of old, I can cut things with that which I couldn't do six months ago... Why, because I've got more experience.

Most important thing to remember with 2-Stage systems, like TNT, is to let the tool work... You may think it stopped, but you have to lay on the tool for another 10 seconds, and let the tool work...

I'm not going to knock anyone's tools here -- I've used a number of them, I just like the TNT tools best, they suit me well, and the lifetime warranty is something else... Their customer service is second to none... And the C-25 is a beast.

------------------
    Challenge Yourself To Rise Above Adversity and Do The Right Thing

mtperry
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We use TNT and they seem pretty capable of getting the job done. I like the hand grip operation rather than the thumb operation of the Hurst. Wierd angles make it tough to get to the lever. The Hurst tools that I have used are old and maybe the new ones are better but the TNT set is a lot more operator friendly and they are faster, plus you can use two tools at once. Extircation tools are just plain impressive, what ever the name stuck to it.

Co2Firslar
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use Hurst for the most part, we do have 1 Code-3 combi-tool that works fine. When push comes to shove, Hurst is the one I would want if I was trapped.

We are looking for a combi-tool and small power unit for our 2nd truck. If you have any for sale please let me know.

chief@tvfd.org

Thanks,

LtStick
    Firehouse.com Guest

We've been using Holmatro for many years and we are very happy with the system.
    As it was stated earlier everyone is entitled to there own opinions. Every department has a reason they picked one companies Rescue tool over another and as long as the tool preforms as it is meant to do and the members are happy with it then thats great.

ddvfd
    Firehouse.com Guest

our company uses amkus, not for any reason, but we find it very useful, and its not relavent, but recently bought a dewalt recip. saw to aid in extrication

Well being a small Dept with a budget under $50,000 we are just lucky to own a pair of jaws we use the Kinman Rescue tool its not as powerful as Hurst but it will do the job plus its light and when we first got ours we put it to the test with city's hurst and we won only because we didnt have to stop and change to cutters as ours are built in there electric over hydraulic so they start everytime the first time and can be used underwater if need be.

Amkus here with dual pump and so far the newer larger cuters work great and we also carry the original cutter.

Fight like you Train and Train like you Fight.

HOLMATRO all the way... The 9" Holmatro will also cut the A-post on a school bus.

I wouldn't run HURST if they paid us to put them on our equipment... they are underpowered totally inferior... HURST sat back and rested on its laurels as the pioneer in Hydraulic Rescue Tools for years... well, NEWSLFASH... The rest of the industry has done circles around them and they are just now trying to catch up.

AMKUS are nice too... I especially like their "panel cutters" and the "ULTIMATE SYSTEM"

I would also rate Genesis right up there with Holmatro and Amkus in performance, but them don't seem to have the service network that Amkus and Holmatro have...

Whatever you do... DONT BUY HURST!!! My one department made the mistake of buying Hurst over Holmator and has regretted that decision (made by the Board of Directors against the recommendation of those who USE the equipment) ever since...

Halmatro for me. Have been using for 12 yrs and have no complaints whatsoever. NFPA compliant, all tools they market. Have yearly full maint. check and pass with flying colors. I have used Hurst and Amkus a fair bit at training school and prefer Halmatro hands down. We run with 32" spreader, combi-tool, 48 dbl. ram 48" single ram, and cutters. Also have a complete duplicate set as back-up and mainly used in training. Run with a PPU 2 stage pump, single stage electric and 4hp single stage gas pump. I guess its what you get used to you prefer.

Train safe, work safe, stay safe.

Phoenix - 0 to 60 inches in two tools!
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

T. Barreca, Jr
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have Hurst in our department.

I have used Others and have had no problems with them.

So I guess it is what ever tool you use and like. Like they say diffrent stroks for diffrent folks.

Stay Low / Be cool

Forum Member

Until recently, we had our heavy rescue truck with two sets of Holmatros, and our back up set on our rescue pumper had one set of older Hurst. Interchangeability was the biggest problem with this. Finally, when we had to have several sets of tools going because they didn't match up, we decided to retire the Hurst. They'd make good boat anchors, I think. Holmatro's totally the way to go. They're light as can be but will still demolish the crud out of anything you try to cut/spread/ram/roll/etc.
    These are my opinions and not those of the organizations for which I work and/or volunteer.

We had used Hurst tools for 30 years with few problems and strong service. However, we recently switched to Holmatro, and man, what a change for the better. They're lighter, hence easier to handle, and faster.
    Hey, stay safe.

Jim LeBlanc
    Firehouse.com Guest

We've got a mixed batch. Holmatro cutters, ram and power unit, we have a set of Bahco spreaders. If there are any museums out there looking for a set of spreaders, give us a call.

I have used Hurst predominantly in my career as a volunteer as well as paid. However, In 1994/95 my volunteer department switched to Phoenix which was developed by the same person who developed hurst. Until recently in my new position we were a distributor for Phoenix and in the 10 months in this job I sold one set of Phoenix tools and have one on the table now to close.

I find the Phoneix tool a bit more easier to handle and the features make it perform better.

This is only my opinion...not as a dealer...but as a firefighter who has used both.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information