Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WestEnd #1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Amkus, Hurst or something else

In our area, Amkus has become more prevalent than Hurst in recent years. Some departments are very set on Hurst's long standing service record. Others like the higher pressure, light weight systems of Amkus. I don't have any problems with Hurst, but I love the Amkus tool that our company carries.

Everyone has a different opinion, and I'm interested in the reasons why.

firemed9
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my area, every department is different varying on the chief and their preferences. My department uses Homatro. I like them because of their light weight construction, and durability. We have the full set of tools, spreaders, rams, cutters, combi-tool, pedal cutter, porta-power, and hand pumps. They are are lighter than any other extrication tool I have used, and we have been using them for years. I have worked with Hurst before, and found them to be combersome, heavy, and take a lot more time to operate, and place into operation.

jeg532
    Firehouse.com Guest

hurst all the way. we have the original set on our station back home that was bought in the 70`s and is still one of the best tools available.don`t get me wrong, i`ve been to some schools and have used other tools and i like holmatro`s tools but my preference is hurst.that`s also what we use at my current fire station.

Resq14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Search through the "University of Extrication" forum on here. Use 'amkus', 'holmatro', or 'hurst' as keywords, for example.

They've been thoroughly discussed here.

My vote is for Amkus.

James Reider
    Firehouse.com Guest

Check out TNT we did 5yrs. ago and everybody loves it.

Adze
    Firehouse.com Guest

Amkus

cfr3504
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm a hurst man plain and simple, not going to argue about what may be better, I just like Hurst. Also Hurst is most prevelant in this area, in our county I know of only one agency that uses anything esle, and they use Holmatro. The new Hurst stuff is not any heavier than the others if you compare apples to apples, ie: 32" spreader to 32" spreader. not he Big old Hurst 32 compared to the small 20 something inch spreader of antoher manuf. BTW we still have the Big ol' 32 in front line service! Probably because we can't afford anything else, but hey it still gets the job done, the only failures I know of were power head problems, and one was with that antique 2 cycle power head that finally gave up and died!

MTNRESQ
    Firehouse.com Guest

American Rescue Tech - Genesis Tools are my choice.

Its a little different here in Northeast Wisconsin though, Mostly the Ambulance Services carry the tools and the fire dept members assist if needed (and trained). Mostly they either are gung ho and get in your way or stand back and dirrect traffic.

But back to the tools; Genesis by far is my tool of choice. They are more expensive though, so "lowest bidder depts" will usually never carry them. In side by side tests with TNT and Hurst they by far cut more and can do more. With the 180 cutter we cut the frame on a semi in half. it was also the only cutter that cut the A post on a school bus. they are in my opinion the best, and even though they are $$$ you get what you paid for.

to learn more see the web site: http://www.art4rescue.com/

also check out our site: http://rescue70.org/jaws.htm

------------------
    Barry Butrymowicz FF/EMT

The views expressed above in no way represent the views of Mountain Ambulance Service or Riverview Fire Department.

Remember if it is bleeding - bandage it, if it is on fire - put it out.
    and extricate when you have to.

tfd603
    Firehouse.com Guest

Genesis is the Best. Also keep in mind NFPA 1936 testing. Why put a tool on a NFPA compliant Rig that didnt pass the tests.

Ggg
    Firehouse.com Guest

There is a lot of Hurst over here but TNT is getting more popular. We went to TNT due to faster speed, $, to get away from that HURST oil as well as the hyd. hose set-up at the junction boxes. We have no regrets.

SCNOZZLEMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Our station is all Hurst. Has been a great tool in the past......

spotthedalmation
    Firehouse.com Guest

TNT all the way -- we replaced our Hurst tools with TNT last December. The tools are lighter, faster, and more powerful than anything Hurst could put on the market.

I think one of the best parts about TNT tools is their simo-pumps... It really is 2 pumps off one engine... Try to spread and cut at the same time with any other manufacturers tools, and you'll notice that they slow down when both tools are operating. Not the case with TNT tools. And for those of you not fortunate to see the C-25 Cobra or the S-100-41 from TNT... contact your local distributor for a demonstration.

ResqCapt19
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have a combination system with Hurst and Phoenix, using the Phoenix oil. Phoenix has a true simo-pump like TNT's. We didn't like the Hurst combo tool and by going to Phoenix we got a combo tool that we liked and could make the two systems work with each other. Yes, I know that Hurst says you can't do this, but we have had no problems.

E229Lt
    Firehouse.com Guest

I do like the fact that the Amkus cutter can be used on case hardened steel, unlike the Hurst O-cutter.

M1NFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have worked Hurst, Amkus, Porter Fergusun and Holmatro. The Holmatro is lighter weight and just a powerfull as any of the others. Its the slickest one runnning these days in my opinion.

Ford45
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

well, i've seen hursts at work, and my department uses all halmatro, and i must say halmatro is the way to go. thats just me though, but it seems like the hurst tools haven't changed much in the past 15 years. like i said, i haven't used them much, and maybe they haven't changed b/c they are pretty good tools, but my company had a lot of trouble with them in the past before we switched over. we have also demoed the genisis. they were pretty good, but i'll stick wit my halmatros. Peace.

------------------
    Matt
    Newtown Fire Association
    Station 45

mediator
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We carry genisis on our rig! Its a good easy to use tool. Ive tried hurst(you know the big two person deals) there ok if its all you got I guess.
    I almost forgot we demoed a tnt and I hate to say it but it sucked! Hope I didnt step on any toes but thats how I felt!!!

[This message has been edited by mediator (edited 06-26-2001).]

res7cue
    Firehouse.com Guest

Been a Hurst man for over 27 years, I've tried them all and find the top three to be;
    Hurst, Amkus and Holmatro.

TNT, Genisis, etc are good for boat anchors, book ends or to hold the door open. LOL

As for Hurst not changing anything for 15 years, I think you need to do a little research into their latest tools and accessories.

Their Transformer, while it is on average 10 # heavier than Amkus or Holmatro, offers more options than any of the others.

Some of their other tools are the same weight or lighter than the other brands.

We just replaced our Model 32 with the Transformer and it is an extremely efficient tool.

We also operate;
    2- Omni Combos
    1- 150 O-Cutter
    2- 20" Rams
    2- 30" Rams
    2- 60" Rams
    2- Elec Power units
    1- Gas power unit
    2- 100' Reels
    10- Sections 30' loose lines
    And all the accessories/ toys for the above tools.

Like I've said before, it's not the tool or system, it's the operator/ technician and his/ her familiarity and experience with the system that makes the difference.

------------------

res7cue
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just wanted to add, I've run the Amkus system and it would be my choice should Hurst not be around or would go out of business.

That is except for the Ultimate System. Just to many variables and working components to fail and have failed. This not only places the system OOS, but from my understanding, it places the entire vehicle OOS.

The cost factor of the system, $60k I believe makes it difficult to justify the expense. You better be running multiple entrappments daily to justify that expense. Just too many other areas that those monies could/ should be sepnt on.

Just my opinion and thoughts.

------------------

PA Volunteer
    Firehouse.com Guest

We've always run Hurst, always have, always will. Everybody has their own experiences, here are mine. I've seen an Amkus spreader blow up. Never seen a Hurst tool blow up. I've seen Amkus cutters bind up on a brake pedal. Hurst cutters went right through it. I've seen Amkus cutters bind up on a hinge, and was then told, "There's no way your cutters will cut that." I don't think he even finished the sentence before the Hurst cutters had cut right through it. I've seen Amkus cutters get wedged into a seat trying to cut the frame to push the dash so that you could no longer operate the tool because of the way the twist handle control is situated. We had to bring in the Hurst cutters to finish the job. Hurst spreaders you can change the tips. Hurst spreaders you can change the arms ... all in the field. Amkus can't do either. We had Hurst set up two generators, one in the first compartment on either side of the rescue, with two preconnected tools on each. Amkus told us it couldn't be done. I'm sure people are running Amkus and it's working for them, but our neighbors run Amkus, and when working on the same job. Hurst consistently finishes the job faster, and easier. As a I said, always has been Hurst, always will be. And no, I'm not a Hurst rep.

Thread Information