Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Speedi120
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

LMAO!!! I liked that.

fireflyer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I was a sophomore (meaning "stupid fool") in college and it was our group's first year on the VFD. We were all excited and just rearing to go all of the time. So much in fact that we got a stern hour + lecture from our chief on acting and looking professional at all times. A couple of days later we get toned out to a structure fire (we did not get many fires, just a lot of extrications and high angle rescues- so we were more fired -bad pun- up than ever). We arrive in the support vehicle with all 6 of us in airpacks and ready to go. It is around 7 at night during the winter and the glaze of snow that had partially melted during the day had turned into ice by then. We all took off running up to the chief for our assignments and he was standing in front of the structure with the home owner. They were at the bottom of a small incline, so as the first of us began to arrive and apply our brakes, we lost traction. All six of us together fell and slid right past our chief and the home owner and kept on going about another 20 feet. We were the poster child of professinalism with that maneuver. It turns out it was a false alarm- and we learned a valuable lesson about why we don't run on fire scenes (and got another lecture!).

fireflyer
    Firehouse.com Guest

To build on the sophomore year, we were all en-route to a structure fire a few months later. We were (again) really pumped up and ready to go. As soon as the support truck stopped we all assumed (translated "*** u & me) we were at our destination. We had our masks and SCBA on, but were no breathing air. Thus our masks were fogged up and we could not hear very well. The first person out just took off running down the road- so the rest of us assuming (see above definition) they knew where they were going followed them at a dead run. Our captain said he stepped out of the vehicle to see what was going on and just saw 6 glow-in-the-dark figures running off into the distance down the dark road- with the structure up ahead of us about a block. By the time they caught up with us to herd us back to the support truck we found out it was just a small trash fire and was out on arrival.

Lewiston2Capt
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have a couple. I wasnt on either but they are legends in my Dept.
    One day we were called to a residence for an attempted suicide. The Amb crew arriving on scene found a pt lying on the ground with a ladder and tree branch lying next to the pt. apparently what happened was the person was attempting to hang themself when the ladder fell over and the sudden load on the tree caused the branch to break, now the person had a twisted ankle and broken arm, as well as rope burn around their neck.
    Talk about a bad day.

One more. Called to an MVA car vs pole just down the road from the station during the winter. Arrive on scene to find two males in a midsize car with spider webs in the windshield. The front seat passenger (unrestrained) had impacted the winshield and the tip of his nose had pushed through. When he fell back the widshield cut off the tip of his nose. A search for the missing body part ensued and soon it was picked up and packed in gauze to accompany its owner to the hospital. Unfortunately on the way to the hospital the body part melted. Apparently the body part found was a chunk of bloody snow/ice.

------------------
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Captain
    Lewiston Fire Co. No. 2

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I remember one that seems to stand out. We were called to an incident where the report of a fire in progress was given. When we arrived, the lady of the house told us that her husband was upstairs in the bathroom and had suffered seriuos burns. We proceeded to the 2nd floor and found the individual laying on his side. We checked out his condition and he had 1st degree burns on his rearend shaped like an O, he also had a small bump on his head. I asked the individual what had happened. He stated that he went into the bathroom to relieve himself and was smoking. He deicided to throw his cigarette into the toilet while was sitting on it. Unkown to him, his wife had been trying to clear out the nozzel of a hair spray can just before he sat down. BOOM he was thrown across the room headfirst into the wall. Luckily the injury was not severe and he decided that a trip to the hospital was not needed. Needless to say he was a little upset with the wife. JJ has a similar story, so this may point to the need for warning labels on toilets .

[This message has been edited by FireLt1951 (edited 01-31-2001).]

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here's another one that was quite interesting. We were responding to a dwelling fire about 5 years ago. When we pulled up there was smoke bellowing from the second story of the dwelling. We proceeded to lay line and entered the front door. we found a couple laying on the floor having a good time (if you know what I mean). We ordered them out of the house immediately. Having been told about the fire they left with no clothes on. After leaving the house, the woman next door was standing outside. She suddenly went back into the her house grabbed a baseball bat and starting chasing this naked man down the street. Turned out it was the womans hushand apparently being nieghborly. Fortunately she never caught up with him, I'm not sure if he returned to the house or not, but I bet he waited a long while.

Firewalker454212
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

well, here we go!I was working one night in Green Valley and we got toned out to a diff. brthng. We arrive on scene and go in the house.To greet us is a little cocker spaniel that is black,white,and brown. the thing lookes like a used q-tip my partner says.we all start laughing at this poor dog.anyway, we transport the woman up to Tucson and I'm in the ambulance with her and a firefighter that rode up with us.All of the sudden she sucks in her dentures and spits them at my partner across the ambulance.My partner got this dumbfounded look on his face and I started laughing at him!The woman didn't get what was going on and she got mad at us.Trying to calm her down I told her he wasn't prepared to catch her dentures.In reply she said she was trying to hit him with them to get his attention.Then we tryed to start an iv. He went to insert the iv and she screamed bloody murder.We didn't even touch her with the needle.We get her to the hospital and she gets put in the same area as a man we had transported earlier with a bad lac on his forehead.she realizes that she might be next and starts fighting the nurse.That was a funny call that I hope doesn't happen again soon!lol

Thread Information