Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    cozmosis
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I think one of the benefits of 10-codes is uniformity. There may be a million ways to say something, but only one 10-code for the occasion.

Of course, it also helps if you don't have dozens to remember. There is no need to have a 10-code for every little action you take. And you've got to ask yourself why you are using 10-codes. To keep things secret from scanner listeners? Or for a legimate reason?

Monroe, La. FD uses three number designations for engine companies. E109 would be the engine at station nine, etc. Truck and rescue companies have single-digit numbers. Rescue 5 is the rescue company in station five.

The smaller department across the river uses three-digits for all rigs. The 600 series is for engine companies, the 700 series is for ladder companies and the 900 series is for command vehicles.

Firefighter2197
    Firehouse.com Guest

we use plain english
    no ten codes have been use officialy in 10 years. and units are numberd as followes
    eng 21
    eng 21-2
    eng 21-3
    and so on same foe squads,tankers,rescues
    the whole county does this
    stay afe and have fun

cmjones
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are on the county wide frequency. We use 10 codes.

ex..2201 is 10-8, 10-17
    in service enroute

2201-pumper
    2202-pumper
    2204-tanker
    2206-Brush Truck
    2207-Brush Truck
    2208-Rescue

2210-Chief
    2211-Asst. Chief
    2212-14-Captain's
    2215-Safety Officer
    2216-Lead FF
    2217-Training Officer
    2218-2299-Firefighters

All other stations in Kershaw County use the same format

J Almon
    Firehouse.com Guest

We've used plain English for almost 20 years. You have to say what you mean, though. If we have an engine that needs to have hose washed and loaded when it leaves a call, it is "unavailable." It is "out of service" when the diesel tank is empty. We use "copy" to signify a transmission was received, and "affirmative" if answering a question. We got tired of being dispatched to a "10-72 Structure Fire" when just "Structure fire" would suffice.
    Our numbering scheme uses districts, so it isn't too complicated. Due to changes, the member numbers change frequently. Nothing like paging the wrong guy at 3 a.m.

Ross Johnson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

I have had a extemely bad experiance with 10 codes and unit #'s in the last couple years. In NJ where I run as a volunteer, we changed dispatched centers a couple years ago and went from plain text(engine 2, 3-and a structure was a structure, not a 10-45) to a numbering system that is modelled after a county wide system in central jersey. We started having incrediable problems with mutual aid and no one new who was talking to who and what we were getting dispatched too. Every town around us has a different system(FFTrainer I am sure can understand this) and you have no clue what a unit is that is coming. It creates quite a problem for officers staging apparatus if you have 3 towns all with different numbering system for there trucks. The incident command system advises clear text. In the department I run with in PA has a great system. It goes like this:
    If your an assitant chief out of Company 1, your Assistant 1. And a deputy chief is Deputy 1 and so on. For units its, what your unit is(Engine, rescue, Quint, ect) and the station and the unit in that station. So if you have two engines in Company 1, its Engine 1-1, 1-2 or if you have a quint, its Quint 1. And so on. All dispatching is plain text. THis is what I feel is best. However, if a county has a had a county wide system that works, then by all means stick with it. But in terms of clear communications and easy system usage, I see clear text hands down the way to go.

------------------
    Gettysburg Fire Department (PA) FF/NREMT-B
    Brookside Engine Company,Div of Mendham Twp Fire Dept(NJ) FF
    Mendham Twp EMS EMT-B
    These views are my own and do not reflect those of these departments

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My department uses clear text...remember KISS.....everyone knows what is being said, and in mutual aid situations one can communicate and understand with the neighboring departments.

We only use one code number...code 13, which means the rig is out of service for mechanical problem.

The fire buff paging network I belong to (East Coast Paging Systems)uses 10-45 to indicate an injury or fatality.
    10-45C1 is a fatality, 10-45C2 is major injury, 10-45C3 is a minor injury. The do use some abbreviations, the code is given on their website and when you receive your pager.

------------------
    Firefighters: Today's heroes protecting our tomorrows....
    Captain Gonzo

ChiefJTL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I was visiting a friend in a small department down south and after the call was through the radio blurted out - "Engine 1 is 10-98, 10-8, 10-76 to Station 1". On the other hand, my good friend from Providence is apt to say "Engine 3 is in quarters and off the air-Engine 3" Repeating the number. There are a million ways but I hate 10 Codes.

------------------
    "Stay in the House"

BucksEng91
    Firehouse.com Guest

No 10-codes in Bucks County, PA. I think, like many here, that they would seriously hinder operations in mutual-aid situations (we're right on the border with Montgomery County, PA). Plain English is simpler, and everyone knows what it means. Remember, the purpose is to communicate the message, not to sound cool.

In Bucks, apparatus are numbered by station. Engine 91, Ladder 90, and so forth. Nice and simple.

[This message has been edited by BucksEng91 (edited October 20, 2000).]

OFDLUIT33
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my area there are several different systems used. I live in St. Clair county and all departments on the 154.190 frequency(although some of us have our own channel) were issued numbers 0- I belive 519. Each department has ten numbers to use( IE..0-9)
    My department is 0 - 9 and every one tries to keep like equiptment with like numbers. For example most areial apparatus is 9 like 9 or 29 or 259. most squads are 0's. Just across the river St. louis county uses 4 digit codes like 5721 57 is the municipality 2 is engine house and 1 is the truck number.

------------------
    The views here are mine and do not reflect that of my department or any of it's members.

FireFJayT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Plain english ....... simple and effective.

------------------
    "No matter what rank I have attained, I am, at heart, a Firefighter First"

BTFD11-19
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

we don't use 10 codes either. ours trucks are number engine 11, engine 11-1, ladder 11, field 11, marine 11, and marine 11-1. we are station 11. station 14's trucks are engine 14, engine 14-1, and tower 14. i think it is the easiest way to number trucks. this job is hard enough.

MBrewer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Dane County, Madison Wisconsin went to plain language in our radio protocols a few years ago. I think it's made for a lot less confusion for both dispatch and field personell. Using the terms enroute, on-location, returning etc.

All our equipment is numbered using the communitiy name in the callsign. Oregon engine 3, Middleton Ladder 4, Monona Squad 5 etc...Fire officers are identified simply using the department name and a number. Middleton Fire 1 is the chief, Middleton Fire 2 is the asst chief. Captains/Lt's are assgned fire 3, fire 4 and so on. All departments in the county are dispatched by a central communications center so, including the community name was essential to clear and safe communications.

Chris Deyerle
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

At our station which is station 6 we have 606 (pumper) 603 (pumper) 611 (Tanker) 612 (Tanker) 620 (Brush Truck) 625 (Rescue) 630 (Command) and 635 (Service Truck). This is what we use to call en-route and etc. A far as 10-codes we really don't use them. The one that we do use is 10-4. Wetumpka Fire Department uses 10-codes. I my self use 10-4 10-25 and 10-23. That is because I know most of the 10-codes in Elmore County

------------------
    Chris Deyerle

Chris Deyerle
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

At our station which is station 6 we have 606 (pumper) 603 (pumper) 611 (Tanker) 612 (Tanker) 620 (Brush Truck) 625 (Rescue) 630 (Command) and 635 (Service Truck). This is what we use to call en-route and etc. A far as 10-codes we really don't use them. The one that we do use is 10-4. Wetumpka Fire Department uses 10-codes. I my self use 10-4 10-25 10-84 10-70 and 10-23. That is because I know most of the 10-codes in Elmore County

------------------
    Chris Deyerle

Tentruck
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

The Russians aren't listening anymore. Call it what it is. Engine, Truck, Squad, Ladder, Pumper, Wagon, Whatever

firecadetak
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have five station, each have there own name, but also use the numbering system, ie. Station 1, Station 2, etc.

Each station's officers and apparatus start with the number of the station:

Station 1 - Engine 11, Engine 13, Truck 12, Utility 11, Medic 1.
    - Chief - 101,
    Asst. Chief - 102, Capts - 103, 104, 105
    Lts. - 106, 107, 108
    Station 2 - Engine 21, Engine 23, Rescue 21
    - Chief - 201
    - Asst. Chief - 202
    - Capts.- 203, 204 - Lt. 205, 206
    Station 3 - Engine 31, Engine 33, Truck 32, Utility 31
    - Chief - 301
    - Asst, Chief - 302
    - Capts.- 303, 304, 305
    - Lts. - 306, 307, 308
    Station 4 - Engine 41, Engine 42, Utility 41
    - Chief - 401
    - Asst. Chief - 402
    - Capts. 403, 404, 405, 407
    - Lt. - 406
    - Engineers - 421, 422, 423, 424
    Station 5 - Engine 51, Tanker 52
    - Engineer - 521

Of course there are exceptions, like our ambulances - Medic 1&3 @ Station 1
    - Medic 2&4 @ Station 3

Coordinating Fire Chief - Fire 1
    Division Chiefs - Fire 2 and Fire 3
    Fire Marshal - Fire 4
    Fire Training Officer- Fire 5
    EMS Training Officer - Medic 5

As for 10 codes- we don't use them, except for 10-4, which we aren't even supposed to use.

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Clear text is the proper, safest and most efective method of communicating with each other.

10 codes vary from municipality to municipality.What good is it to have 10 codes if when you call mutual aid, you have to use clear text because the other town does not know your system.

All these county and station #'s are just blowing my mind. Why not Engine 1,2,3..., Ladder 1,2,3..., Battalion 1,2,3...,etc? If you go on mutual aid, use your munipality name before your company #. For example, Bayonne Engine 7 to Jersey City Fire Dispatch or Bayonne Ladder 3 to Newark Fire Dispatch

KISS

------------------
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry, bfdt2@fitzhenry.com
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonnenj.org/fire/

Fire29_1999
    Firehouse.com Guest

I could be confused very easy from any of the posts I have read here concerning numbering and 10-codes, but that could be because I am from Montana. We for the most part don't use 10-codes, their are times when you don't want the folks in scanner land to have to hear what you might be dealing with like a bad 10-58 (fatality mva)but we are dispatched by the city PD so if we do use a 10-code they should know what we mean. Also it seems that we either have too small a dept. or the other local depts. and us have found an easy way to get the right equipment to whatever we are sent to, when we are needed we decide what will be sent,example="Whitefish fire have a report of a one car rollover." We would than respond to dispatch by saying "Whitefish Rescue 22 or Ambulance 18 responding to _____ " the other local city or county depts.would do the same if responding to mutual aid, they would call "Whitfish IC Columbia Falls eng 4 responding, where do you want us." and our appearatice is numbered consecutivly starting at eng.16 and eng. 17 than amb.18 to 21 than rescue 22 and eng.23 and 24.
    stay safe

FM593
    Firehouse.com Guest

As of right now my County uses 3 different ways to talk on the radio. For Ex. for Chiefs(1255, 88-5 and Chief 33). A couple of years ago the County tried to get every Company to switch to plain speak since we implemented the Incident Command System. Of course not every Company switched and the County had no "B---S" to make them, and now this is where we are left. "CONFUSION"!!!!
    We are not speaking in codes right now, so why do it in the fire service when their is so much confusion to begin with.
    Most of the people who like codes are either Wackers who want to be like FDNY or have been in the Fire Service since Buckets were used.
    Like My Friend said "THE RUSSIANS AREN"T LISTENING ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!

snowmankw77
    Firehouse.com Guest

Personally I have used both 10 codes and verbal. And i think it is much easier to do verbal. The station that i run with in Pittsburgh while i am going to college used 10 codes and it is really difficult to use. But back home we just use verbal and the communication between Garrett Central and us is easy to understand on both sides.

------------------
    Matt Briskey
    Eastern Garrett County
    Station 80

"What's in it for me?

Hard Work
    Injury
    Possible Death
    A deep and abiding feeling of personal satisfaction found in few aspects of life"

"Nobody ever called the fire department when they did something smart!!"

Thread Information