Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sparkill Fire dept
    Firehouse.com Guest

In Rockland County, New York (S.E New York state Borders New Jersey)

Each Dept is numbered alphabetically 1 to 26

All radio designations are preceeded with the Departments alphabetical number.

The apprattus are designated as to what they are.

Example > Department 9

The chief is... 9 - 1
    Asst. Chief is. 9 - 2
    9 - 3, 9 - 4, & 9 - 5
    as line officers.

Apprattus> A 1250 gpm pumper is 9 - 1250
    A 1000 gpm pumper is 9 - 1000

Ladders> A 75 ft aerial is 9 - 75
    A tower is ..........9 - Tower

Other Equip> 9 - Rescue, 9 - MP (mini pumper)

this allows the I.C. at mutual aid to know the capacities of the units responding.

It works for us.

E_man9RFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

In Madison County every department including police use 10 codes. I personally have no use for them. The IMS system doesn't use them; plain english is used.

Our Department, Richmond, is dispatched by the police dept. They have toned us out with almost no words at times.

"Respond to wherever, for a code this, the signal that is code this break on signal 8 million."

Even our own officers bastardize the 10 code sytem.... saying everything is 10-4. Our 10 codes translate 10-4 as, "understood"
    All jibberish to me.

I don't know... maybe I'm a simp.

dousaems
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Pretty obvious that ten codes are not real useful unless they are standardized. I run with four companies in two different states. In MD, a motor vehicle accident is a 10-50 PI or PD (personal injury or property damage) and can be dispatched with rescue. In PA it's a 10-45 I (injury) with confinement or entrapment. Somebody should just call it an MVA or MVC and do away with the ten codes; it's too confusing for many people, especially dispatchers between the states. Interestingly enough, the private ambo service I work for part time RELIES on ten codes, but only because they don't have to deal with multiple agencies.

Onto apparatus numbering. The PA counties are simple and use plain english with station #and rig 1,2,3 etc.: Engine 56-1, Supply 56, Brush 56, Medic (or ambulance 56).

But the MD side is different. Helps track what is what with categorized numbers -
    Each unit's # is usually a three or four digit #, indicating the company and type of piece. We have 10 independent companies (all volunteer) in the county, numbered 1 through 10 plus 12 and 13. Each company may have multiple stations, but this does not play into the numbering.
    Here's the fun part -
    anything in teens (11-19) is an engine
    so if company 1 has four engines they would be 111, 112, 113, 114 (or some variation).
    Anything in the twenties is a tanker (there's only one, 1321, out of...you guessed it...Co.13).
    Anything in the thirties is a truck, regardless of tower, quint, or stick.
    40's = brush truck
    50's = rescue truck
    60's = air cascade unit, utility vehicle
    70's = more utility vehicles
    80's = special units (draft pieces)
    90's = EMS units. Medic units are usually 91, 92, and 93; EMS chase vehicles are 99, 98, and 97.
    So in summary, at one of my stations (Co.4), we have:
    5 engines (411, 412, 413, 414, 415)
    no tanker
    two trucks (431, 432)
    a brush (441)
    a rescue (451)
    a boat (Rescue 452)
    utilities out the wazoo (461, 471, 472 and a few others, I think)
    no special units
    three medic units (491, 492, 493)
    Talk about confusing. I grew up with it and it is second nature to me, but I would almost guarantee that anybody else who reads it is confused. Oh well, we all have our methods.

------------------
    Todd Dousa
    NREMT-P, CCEMT-P

[This message has been edited by dousaems (edited 12-04-2000).]

One13Truck
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Great work everybody, keep 'em coming!!! Have a safe and happy new year!!!

------------------
    Edwardsville Emergency Services, Station 10
    We came, we saw, WE KICKED IT'S *****!!!

Adler
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We have mutual aid and fire protection pacts with cities in the surrounding two states. So this means that we help cover three states. Each state seems to have their own version of the ten codes. So most of the new guys, < 5 years, are using plain English because that is what they are use to. We were taught plain english. But, you have some of the old guys that try using the 10 codes, and once in a while the dispatch throws a fit because they are requesting "a package or item" be brought to the scene instead of the "assignment is complete". Can't teach an old dog new tricks?? Well most of the old timers have learned, but you have to guys that tell you "that f*#@&!^* dispatch don't know what the "heck" they are talking about". I have to leave, because I am laughing inside so hard, that I begin crying.

[This message has been edited by Adler (edited 01-09-2001).]

MTNRESQ
    Firehouse.com Guest

As Far as 10-codes go they are out!
    Our county still uses them on the sheriff Channel, but the disbatchers use them limited with the ambulance services and Fire Depts. My Amb Service went clear by far it is the way to go.
    Most of the ambulance services in our county still use ten codes and Clear text together
    "We are 10-76 enroute to the call"
    "We are 10-23 on Scene" This is definately a waste of radio traffic.

All our ambulance services are Labeled by tens, 10, 20, 30 etc.
    Ours is rescue 70, 1st out unit is 71, 2nd 72 and our rescue is 73.

the fire dept has all its numbers in the 20's but we are the only one in our county to do this.

------------------
    Barry Butrymowicz FF/EMT

The views expressed above in no way represent the views of Mountain Ambulance Service or Riverview Fire Department.

Remember if it is bleeding - bandage it, if it is on fire - put it out.
    and extricate when you have to.

spotthedalmation
    Firehouse.com Guest

Monroe County, PA uses a truck numbering system as follows:

Station Number - Truck Type - Truck Number

With:
    1 - Engine
    2 - Tanker
    3 - Brush
    4 - Rescue
    5 - Utility
    6 - Ladder

7, 8, and 9 are officers

Ex. 34 - 1 - 4 Would Be An Engine From Pocono Township, (Station Numbers are alphabetical) and the 4 is their arbitrary truck number.

------------------
    Challenge Yourself To Rise Above Adversity and Do The Right Thing

One13Truck
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Well it seems I'm still in the minority on the codes issue. But like I said before only my opinion and what works here won't work in other places so whatever is best for your area should be in place. I'm not going to argue with anybody over it. But here in N.E.Pa. Monroe and Carbon uses them a good amount of the time, and Pike County is all codes and they all run fine. Here in Luzerne our police use them but Fire-ems rarely do. But then again we have to use town name and #'s when we call because they still have no idea who we are if we don't even after almost 5 years of being in service as a 911 center. So instead of saying: E11, R15, 17 to the 48, 123 Main. It has to be Edwardsville Station 10 to Luzerne County, received the page Edwardsville Engine 11, Edwardsville Rescue 15 is responding to the fire at 123 Main Street in Edwardsville (yes there are times when even that has to be specified, like there are always multiple calls at the same address going for the zones that that dispatcher is working?). Or this one: Edwardsville Chief 16 to Luzerne County, opperation complete, command terminated, Edwardsville Engine 11 is available and returning to Edwardsville Station 10 (like he'd release us to go to another town, but hey gotta say it or they don't know where Station 10 is at). This can be made much easier by just sayng: Chief 16 to County, 10-24, E11 10-8, 17 back to Station 10. Wilkes Barre City can do it and they are through the County, and it works fine. What we need to do In Luzerne County is to drop the 911 center and go back to our old dispatching. It was much quicker, everybody knew who they were talking to. But I still feel that the codes are still the best way to go. But like I said my opinion only because what works fine here just creates chaos in other areas.

------------------

[This message has been edited by One13Truck (edited 01-18-2001).]

One13Truck
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

That can't be all!!! Nobody else wants to share anything???

------------------

windham3
    Firehouse.com Guest

In Bradford County, the apparatus is referred to by dept.#, type, and internal designation. For example, my department # is 19. We have 19 Engine 2,(we no longer have engine 1), 19 Tanker 1, 19 Tanker 2, etc.

Line officers are called by department name, and order of rank.
    Chief- Windham 1
    1st Asst- Windham 2
    2nd Asst- Windham 3
    Captian- Windham 4

10-codes are not used for fire or EMS in our county, only police. It is a pretty simple system.

------------------
    Bradford County PA.
    Department 19

TCFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

In Niagara County all the Vol. Fire Companies are dispatched from the County Sheriffs communication center. We are dealing with dispatchers that work both Fire/EMS and law enforcement. Law is a lot of 10 codes, Fire has almost none. Fire is dispatched in plain language.

Each Company has a numeric designation that relates to our NYS OFPC County code of 32. My Companies NYS code is 32025.

Each type/class of equipment has an alpha designation plus the actual apparatus number. Our Engine 1's call sign is 25E-1.

Pumpers are E-X, Aerials are A-X, Tankers are T-X, Rescue's and other misc. equipment (including Chiefs, Asst Chiefs) are M-X. Chief is always M-7, 1st Asst is M-7A, 2nd Asst is M-7B, etc. Our rescue is 25M-4. Ambulances are R-9, second ambulance for same company would be R-9A.

Agree with KISS, plain language communications. 10-4 is about the only regularly used 10 code along with 10-97 (arrived on scene). You can tell the guys who listen to the cops on the scanner as they'll try using all the other 10 codes on the radio. Fire Control knows what they mean but if they're talking to another piece of equipment/company with somebody onboard that is not scanner-wise, it gets pretty amusing when the reply comes back 'Speak English please!'.

[This message has been edited by TCFire (edited 01-26-2001).]

Lewiston2Capt
    Firehouse.com Guest

I to am from Niagara County and our Code is 32008 which makes our station 8. I agree with some of the problems of in service and out of service. In our county (correct me if I am wrong TCFire) In service means available for call, out of service means not available. If we are out of the station on training or for special events we say out in radio contact. Plain text is typically the easiest to understand, however some people do not know the KISS method of speaking. For example people have been known to tie up the radio expressing info that could be summed up in a 3 word message. This becomes extreemly stressful when responding to mutal aid calls and attempting to contact the requesting agency.
    TCFire you know what I mean if you hear any of our calls this end of the county.

------------------
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Captain
    Lewiston Fire Co. No. 2

One13Truck
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

TCFire, Lewiston2Capt,

Maybe I'm overlooking the KISS again here, but being from an area where letters aren't used was there any set formula to come up with what's used there? I can see where the ones you use there would fit in, but who sat down and came up with what to mean what? Anybody from the New Hampshire area care to answer this question as well? I know from some of the posts here that they use letters up there too. Just to be curious.

------------------

WFDTruck1
    Firehouse.com Guest

we dont use 10 codes that much anymore. we find it alot simplier using plain english. for our appartus, we use the type of appartus then the number, ie: Truck 1, Engine 2,3,4,5. Car 1,9,10,11,12. Utility 8. We find it much easier that way. as far as firefighter identities, we find no need for the 3 or 4 digit code. we use the appartus idea with a numerical. ie: Engine 3A (A= officer, B= right tailboard, C= left tailboard, D= driver. been using this way for years, found no problems with it.

Lewiston2Capt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by One13Truck:
    TCFire, Lewiston2Capt,

Maybe I'm overlooking the KISS again here, but being from an area where letters aren't used was there any set formula to come up with what's used there? I can see where the ones you use there would fit in, but who sat down and came up with what to mean what? Anybody from the New Hampshire area care to answer this question as well? I know from some of the posts here that they use letters up there too. Just to be curious.

The Letters designating the apparatus type are assigned by the company but consideration is given to the apparatus' primary function. For example we have a Rescue/Engine that is a front line engine, it could be considered an M under the Niagara county coding system. We named it 8E-3, We also have an 8E-1 being our older engine. Our apparatus is coded as follows

8E-1 is a 1988 Saulsbury Engine
    8E-3 is a 2000 RD Murray Rescue/Engine
    8T-2 is a Saulsbury Tanker/Pumper
    8R-9 is the ambulance
    8M-5 is a Fire Police vehicle
    8M-4 is our old rescue truck

Basically the number after the dash is made up by the company. Ambulances are always given the #R-9 code and the backup ambulance is called #R-9A and so on. Typically only the companies that respond mutual aid with each other frequently will need to know what the unit code is. If I were to be responding to a call in TCFires area I would call Saying: Lewiston 2 Rescue Engine/Tanker/Engine to ...

Usually the codes are used to minimize radio traffic.

Hope this clears it up a bit.

------------------
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Captain
    Lewiston Fire Co. No. 2

Don Witner
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Originally posted by One13Truck:
    I'm amazed at all the different numbering scemes out there (we have County #'s that are not used and our mutual aid #'s that are used). Our County # is 172, 172 engine 1, 172 engine 2, 172 ladder 1, 172 F1, F2, F3, and F4. Ambulance 11A and 11B (also our rescue). Our Mutual Aid is Station 10, E11, E12, L113, A14, R15, Chief 16, 17, 18, and 19. Anybody care to share theirs? For any further info on the system our County uses click on our homepage which can be found at the bottom of this post (cheap plug), I have both the "official lists", 10 code lists, and the Lists actually in use by the units in the County. On a secondary subject as well: Plain language vs. codes, your opinions??? I seem to be outvoted on this one so far. I prefer all codes and #'s. What do you think???

Maybe you should get into the 90's and read a little about incident command. "10" codes have gone the way of the dinosaur...

St11FireEMS
    Firehouse.com Guest

We just usually use plain english so no one gets confused. our county has assigned to our different departments. my department number is 11. our units in the county go by the following:
    station number then unit type then unit number for example
    1112 is our engine
    11 is the department
    1 shows its an engine
    2 is the id number
    0 chief, 1 engine, 2 ladder, 3 tanker, 4 brush, 5 rescue, 6 ambulance, 7 utility, 8 fire police, 9 unit portables Emergency ID #

LtStick
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our county use to use two sets of numbers; The first set was your station number the second was for the type of unit you responded or which officer you were.
    the numbering for aparatus was as follows;
    Engines were 11 through 14
    Towers or snorkels were 16
    Ladder trucks and Tele squirts were 17
    Rescues 18
    QRS units 19
    Tankers 20,21
    pumper tankers 22,23
    Squads 24
    Engine Rescues 29
    Fire Police vehicle 31
    Ambulances 51-54, 61

line Officers 00-05
    fire police 07-09
    ambulance chief 50
    rescue chief 55

Only Police and County EMA normally used the ten code sysytem.

Currently Fire units call out using there the type of unit it is and station number . IE Truck 22 Responding or if its a line officer then it would be there title and there station number. IE Captain 25 responding. They did not change the system for Fire Police and EMS.

E_man9RFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I think 10-codes are obsolete. unfortunately, the county I'm in uses them. Plain english is more professional, in my opinion.

------------------
    AAD
    Eng. Co. 9
    RFD

"In all of us there are heroes... speak to them and they will come forth."

"In order for us to achieve all that is demanded of us, we must regard ourselves as greater than we are."

18f17
    Firehouse.com Guest

we just use engine 1, rescue 1, etc.. When on a mutual aid we use dept. name then engine 1. Each person has a county number ie. battalion 18, firefighter # 17 = 18f17. Clear text is the only way to go in my opion.

Thread Information