+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last
    canman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post What color fire truck?

I was just wondering as to what color fire truck you prefer? Red, yellow etc. I'm a traditionalist and like Red fire trucks also that's my favorite color, Fire Engine Red to be exact. There is no right or wrong color I just wanted to know what color you liked.

Neptune 33
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have to go with what my department runs, white over red. I really like white over blue with a gold and white FDNY style stripe. Red over Whites nice too.

chief14
    Firehouse.com Guest

It has to be slime green!!

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

I like the old days when my city ran with red bodies w/ white cabs. Now the entire apparatus is red. It looks good with the new gold trim, but I still like the white cabs.

FFCode3EMT
    Firehouse.com Guest

White with blue and gold reflective stripes.

------------------
    **The preceding comments in no way represent the views of my department, its members, or associations that it may belong to.**

OFDLUIT33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Gotta go with all red with a white reflective stripe. Who ever decided fire trucks needed to be SLIME GREEN needs their head examined

------------------
    The views here are mine and do not reflect that of my department or any of it's members.

FireRebel
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Fire Engine Red! But seriously, does anyone know why there are different colors of trucks out there, what do they represent if anything, probably just a preference....

Da Sharkie
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have to say I like all Red rigs. The white over red doesn't do much for me. The black over red in Chicago adn New Jersey areas looks better than white over red.

Green has to go. Honolulu's all yellow rigs are a pretty nice looking bunch.

We also have a dept. near me that has all white rigs with a red reflective stripe. They really do look pretty awesome the way they are all done up.

I heard a story that red apparatus came from the old, old days when all the fire departments tried to compete with each other for the best, most decorative rigs. Red pigment was teh most difficult and expensive pigment to make and everyone knew it so a lot fo departments had their rigs painted red to show off pride and everything and now it has just carried over through the years.

------------------
    I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it. You can't prove anything.

ffeng
    Firehouse.com Guest

Got to go with all red, same color red painted wheels - the classic fire truck. Agree with a few others on the all bright yellow rigs; they look sharp too. No two-tone for me.

DRA-252
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

The department runs the "slime green" on all the apparatus.

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey, firerebel, The differnce in color is usually just preference, but I know a lot of cities, including the Almighty New Yawk and my hometown of Youngstown gave "slime lime" a try in the early 1980's. NYC's study was to see if it increased people's awareness of the engine on calls, and en-route, and to see if it would decress accidents. After 6 months, i think, the study proved nothing. They opnly ran it on a couple of engines, but within 2 years, they were all back to red.

------------------
    Joe
    Daysleeper47...cause I gotta sleep sometime.

Fire Line
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Rainbow! 2 red, 2 slime green, 2 white. Like most departments in the late 70s early 80s we went to slime green, our newer engines are RED!! Our home built tenders have white cabs and grey tanks.

------------------

BTFD11-19
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

MY COMPANY RUNS WHITE CABS OVER RED BODIES, WITH GOLDLEAFING. I PREFER BLACK CABS OVER RED BODIES WITH GOLDLEAFING, BUT SINCE RED IS THE HARDEST COLOR TO SEE AT NIGHT, I GUESS SLIME GREEN IS THE SAFEST.

Drewbo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I did some research in college, great thing about being a history major, you could make a 25 page history of firefighting. The color "slime green" came out in the '70's cause it would be more visible. In most cases it was causeing more accidents, people were starring at the huge green thing in amazement. (probully cause it was so ugly).

Anyways, red is the best way to go. Red with white is great, I like the red and black (seen it up close a few times). I also used to ride around on a '71 Hahn, open air cab, it was all white. One of my personal favorite piece of apparatus ever.

Take it easy, take it anyway you can.

------------------
    * God Looked down and
    * saw this was bad, it
    * was bad, it was Drew

Ladder Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

RED

INDY FIRE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

White over red with gold stripes.

LadderCo13
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

RED RED RED RED RED RED RED RED RED RED RED RED RED RED RED RED Did I mention I like RED

CollegeBuff
    Firehouse.com Guest

My hometwon is switching back to red from yellow. Ambo's are white with red striping. I grew up with just yellow, so that's what I'm used to, but the way their doing the red looks really good. The next city over has this shade of red that's just ugly.

The station nearest my house at one point had a ladder that had just been rebuilt and was the new red paint scheme. At the time of the story to follow, they still had the '78 Hahn open cab yellow engine thats older than I am. One fall day I'm passing by and get stopped by the redlight at the intersection where the station is. They had both bay doors open, and there were the two trucks, side by side, like proud old soldiers standing watch. But it gets better. The leaves on the trees outside the station were the perfect misture of red and yellow! Add that to the two-story redbrick firehouse with a yellow and red truck side by side.... it was truly a picturesqe scene. I really wish I'd had a camrea on me that day.

F02
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red,with gold leaf.

SRVFD2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I loved DaSharkie's reasoning!! We have 3 red, but our main truck is yellow. Still think fire trucks should be red!!

johnnyrebel00
    Firehouse.com Guest

Of course traditional red-the green trucks just need to sit out in the sun a bit longer to ripen

nozzleman310
    Firehouse.com Guest

I like red with a gold stripe the best,anything red is fine though, also a local dept runs white over yellow that doen't look to bad...i mean for yellow

klingerjr33
    Firehouse.com Guest

MY COMPANY RUNS RED BODIES WITH WHITE CABS, AND GOLD LEAF. I PERSONNALLY THINK RED WITH BLACK CABS LOOKS SHARP BUT THEN AGAIN I DIDN'T GET TO DECIDE THE COLORS OF OUR TRUCKS.

OH YEAH GREEN AND YELLOW HAVE TO GO. EVERY TIME I SEE TRUCKS LIKE THAT I WANT TO HOOK A PLOW UP AND GO TILL A FIELD FOR PLANTING.

ROBERT A. KLINGER, JR
    FIREFIGHTER

smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Color does not matter, as long as the piece is done up nice, with quality lettering, and a lot of chrome......SCHWING. Anyhew, our department runs both red and white. White with a red stripe being the primary scheme.

Lt. Spinney
    Rollinsford Fire & Rescue

Kafbfire23
    Firehouse.com Guest

My old volunteer company ran with White with red and white striping I like it. Here we use red with whitr striping on all structural and slimelime on anything that is a flightline or crash truck. Some of our sopprt trucks are Air Force Blue with no striping
    We also have a tanker that is OD green (really an eye catcher)
    It works but the paint shop has problems keeping trucks separated sometimes and orders the wrong paint other than that it works

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

Thread Information