Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SORRY

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Even though I live so far away Ashley's death has touched me deeply. Her enthusiasm, her joy of life and her passion for a career serving the community are an inspiration and will be surely missed.

I am wearing the ribbons of rememberance in her honour.

------------------
    Lt JJ Edmondson
    Clyde Cardinia Fire Brigade
    Victoria, AUSTRALIA

I walk where the fire dances

International Firefighters' Day:
    http://www.futureweb.com.au/edmondson

Boothby
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Mr & Mrs Mitchell,
    I have been sitting here for the last 20 min trying to find words, any words. I want very badly to say something that might help you feel better, but I have seen this sort thing enough times to know that there are no words. Your daughter will be missed, and she will be remembered. We always remember our own. I will pray for you and for Ashley. God Bless.

------------------
    Larry Boothby
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Snorkel-13 A-shift
    Local 1784
    Memphis.

Boothby
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Mr & Mrs Mitchell and Fellow Jakes
    I have taken the liberty to make the following post on both the "Firehouse.com site comments" forum and "The Magazine" forum. Mr & Mrs Mitchell if I have overstepped myself please forgive me.

"This week we recieved notification on the firefighters forum that one of our forum members, Miss Ashley Mitchell (firefighter2000), was killed this past week by a drunk driver. Ashley was 14 years old and had stated that she intended to persue a carreer in the fire service. According to her parents she was killed either going to or comming from a fire department meeting.

I propose that Firehouse magazine and Firehouse.com use your considerable power and influence to establish a "firefighter2000" memorial fund in Ashleys name. This fund could be used to help fire and EMS explorer groups or to provide scholarship money to young men and women enrolling in fire science programs. Think of this as seed money to help build the fire service of the future. I believe this would be a fitting tribute to a young woman who's main desire was to become part of our profession."

Brothers and Sisters if you think this is a good idea, lend your support on one of the two sites I listed.

To the Mitchells: If I have overstepped please let me know at lboothby@midsouth.rr.com and I will retract immediately.

------------------
    Larry Boothby
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Snorkel-13 A-shift
    Local 1784
    Memphis.

WOODMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

I know what it is like sir and how tough it is my wife and little son where killed by a driver who fell asleep about 14 months ago,so
    I share your pain.Please feel free to email me if there is any thing I can do for you.

duerr2
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am new to the forum, so I have not read your daughter's information, but I would like you to know that as a mother and a "little girl with a dream", I feel a deep sense of sorrow for you and your family.In reading the responses, I feel your daughter has had a huge impact on a lot of people and I hope that you know there are people all over thinking of you and wishing there were something they could do to ease your pain...

If you need anything...

------------------
    Jenn Duerr

fireseeker
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thank you for allowing us to share our lives with your daughter. We will all miss her deeply, and because of her, we cherish life a little more. Thank you again for bringing such a gifted child for all of us to embrace. Although her time with us was short, her impact will never be forgotten.

M. Ryan

------------------
    fireseeker

AVF&R452
    Firehouse.com Guest

Mr.& Mrs. Mitchell:

I wish to take this opportunity to offer my sincere condolences at the loss of your daughter. Ashley's enthusiasm and determination gave many of us a chance to remember and reflect on the REAL reasons that we do what we do. She was truly special.

I also wish to apologize for the uncaring individual who posted on another thread. Thankfully, It appears that thread has been removed. I hope that you will not judge us all by the ignorance of a very small minority.

Again, My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Jim

Pelican631
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

My sincerest condolences and prayers are with you. As a firefighter who joined as a junior member at age 15, I know how enthusiastic Ashley must have been. Again, my prayers are with you and your family.

Andy Knitt

spunk639
    Firehouse.com Guest

Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell
    I have sat here for quite some time trying to find a way to express to you my sorrow, and heart ache over the loss of your daughter Ashley. I sit here typing this with tear filled eyes. I am not a firefighter, I am a Paramedic and have been in EMS for 15 years. I have in that time seen far too many young and bright lives cut short and can not find a reason as to why. I spent the better part of this evening reading your daughters posts over again , I only wish that I could have met her. Sometimes in this strange and chaotic world we live and work in we become very cyannical. Things that should strike a deep cord in us does not. I want you to know that in your daughters short time here with us she affected people's lives she never met in a very positive way. How do I know this you may ask .......because I am one of those people she affected. Doing this work as I said you can become very cyannical and believe from repeated exposures to our troubled youth who are involved in gangs drugs and other anti social activities that our youth are lost and our futures as a whole looks bleak. Reading your daughters thoughts and questions changed that view for me. To see a child who showed so much enthusiasim and interest in helping and serving her community broke through the walls put up by this innercity medic and gave me hope that all our kids were not lost and good positive kids do exist, for that sir I can't thankyou enough for the way you raised your child. Writing this I do not know if I've caused you more grief......... why would God no matter how he is worshipped, would decide to take such a bright light from us. For whatever reason God wanted Ashley we may never know......but I know she is surely one of his Angels and the next time I enter a darkened tennament in the middle of the night, she will be there with me watching over myself, my partner, and the patient we were called to care for.
    Ashley will always be with you and in many of our hearts and prayers.
    In closing my deepest heartfelt sympathy for your loss.

Love and God Bless You.

SPUNK

[This message has been edited by spunk639 (edited October 13, 2000).]

TeeJay
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Mr. & Mrs. Mitchell-
    My condolences on the loss of Ashley. It's tragic that some one so young and full of life can be lost in circumstances as senseless as these. She touched a lot of lives here, and many tears are being shed for her. She will always be one of us. I'll take your advice and hug my own son and daughter with a little extra enthusiasm tonight. You and Ashley are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Tom Jarvis

Administrator

Dear Forum Posters

For the last day we have worked to verify the information in the posts by Ashley and her 'parents' that has consumed several threads.

Unfortunately, as happens on the Internet, the story has been found to be untrue...at least the tragic details.

After considerable research, we talked to Ashley's mother this evening who wanted to apologize to everyone on the forums for the energy that has been spent.

The young lady is indeed interested in the fire service and is an ace student, according to her mom, who wants to write books and be in the fire department.

However, she has not lost a brother to fire nor, thankfully, was she killed in a drunk driving accident last weekend. She is alive and well, which we hope everyone will be grateful for. Except for those details -- important as they may be -- the vast majority of her posts we believe were honest and sincere.

We are sorry this has happened, but as you know the Internet is somewhat of an anonymous
    place. We are very thankful that this was not some elaborate hoax, but merely an very
    enthusiastic young lady who may have been trying to find a way to quit posting on the forums with a very unfortunately worded story. Her parents had requested she not post after something similiar happened in the past, according to her mother.

Her mother assures us she has the best intentions and by her writing will certainly excel in that endeavor in the future. We expect a letter from Ashley sometime in the next few days to all posters.

Thanks for everyone's continued support. Despite this being false, had it been true you showed the incredible family that exists in the Firehouse.com Forums and what is possible for everyone to come together for a single cause ... we just hope you won't be deterred from responding and helping others in the future.

We'll assure you, just as we have done in this case, to check out any extraordinary requests or posts as quickly as possible.

Thanks
    Firehouse.Com WebTeam

Thread Information